New 2016 R1200RT report and questions

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
smenard415

New 2016 R1200RT report and questions

Post by smenard415 »

Greetings,

Newbie here.  Took delivery of a 2016 R1200RT a week ago.  So far, 600 miles worth, I am enjoying this bike tremendously.  My other bike is a 2009 HD Screamin Eagle Roadglide so this is quite a change for me after 40 years of nothing but HD's.  The much lighter weight and the great handling are my favorite things about the bike so far.

The only downsides I can find are the very skinny grips and the clutch.  Not sure why the grips are so small but my poor old arthritic hands do not like them much.  After two hours or so I get hand cramps.  My biggest complaint though is the clutch.  To release it you have to go almost completely to the end of the lever travel.  I can literally hit the clutch lever with one finger and shift.  The hardest situation is slipping the clutch leaving a light or a stop sign as the clutch is either engaged or not engaged.  Kind of like a light switch.  It's either on or off.

Other than that I'm loving it.  It is very sharp looking and a blast to ride.  I am getting so strange looks though as my jacket and my helmet are both from HD.  I haven't stopped riding long enough to look for new gear.

Thanks,

SteveM
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: New 2016 R1200RT report and questions

Post by Casbar »

Welcome, I came from 7 years on Harley, my last Harley which I sold in June was a 2014 CVO Road King. My RT is a 2014. I also found the grips narrow, so I put some grip puppies on, which helps a lot, it also helps with any vibration. As for the clutch, i can honestly say i haven't found any issues. The only thing I miss is the torque from the HD, so I found it quite easy to stall the RT if not in 1st and I had to lean to use more revs, but now used to it.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

My experience is that BMW clutches are normally set to fully function in the first third, but certainly the first half of the handle engagement. HDs seem to be the opposite.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

Welcome.  Glad you are enjoying your new bike.  BMW seem to like the smaller grips and I've got used to them now.  Don't forget you can adjust the clutch lever span.  I tried different positions before I settled on what is most comfortable.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

I too am a life long Harley convert to a 2016 RT. I wish I would have changed earlier but at 67, I will enjoy what time I have left on my RT. I purchased a few rolls of black tennis racket tape. I made 2 wraps on the grips with a little super glue and my problem is solved. I now ride without gloves most of the time. As it will wear down over time, I will unwrap and rewrap new tape.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

yellowjacket wrote: I too am a life long Harley convert to a 2016 RT. I wish I would have changed earlier but at 67, I will enjoy what time I have left on my RT. I purchased a few rolls of black tennis racket tape. I made 2 wraps on the grips with a little super glue and my problem is solved. I now ride without gloves most of the time. As it will wear down over time, I will unwrap and rewrap new tape.

Ride without gloves most of the time  :whistle:  I'll pull up a chair and get the popcorn for the responses to that one. Assume you are in the North American region  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'll start.  Just goes to show, those with a sensible bike are not always the same.  He must be covered by that thing they are all talking about. Obama Care.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I'll start.  Just goes to show, those with a sensible bike are not always the same.  He must be covered by that thing they are all talking about. Obama Care.

:alas:
tony23

Post by tony23 »

RTman10 wrote: I'll start.  Just goes to show, those with a sensible bike are not always the same.  He must be covered by that thing they are all talking about. Obama Care.
Not sure ObamaCare covers stupidity :alas:
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

tony23 wrote: Not sure ObamaCare covers stupidity :alas:

That's covered by Trumpcare!
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

smenard415 wrote: Greetings,

Newbie here.  Took delivery of a 2016 R1200RT a week ago.  So far, 600 miles worth, I am enjoying this bike tremendously.  My other bike is a 2009 HD Screamin Eagle Roadglide so this is quite a change for me after 40 years of nothing but HD's.  The much lighter weight and the great handling are my favorite things about the bike so far.

The only downsides I can find are the very skinny grips and the clutch.  Not sure why the grips are so small but my poor old arthritic hands do not like them much.  After two hours or so I get hand cramps.  My biggest complaint though is the clutch.  To release it you have to go almost completely to the end of the lever travel.  I can literally hit the clutch lever with one finger and shift.  The hardest situation is slipping the clutch leaving a light or a stop sign as the clutch is either engaged or not engaged.  Kind of like a light switch.  It's either on or off.

Other than that I'm loving it.  It is very sharp looking and a blast to ride.  I am getting so strange looks though as my jacket and my helmet are both from HD.  I haven't stopped riding long enough to look for new gear.

Thanks,

SteveM
Welcome Steve. Lots of converts from HD to R-T. You're going to love it. Don't worry about riding in you're HD gear. FXRG gear IMO is just as good as BMW.
yellowjacket

Post by yellowjacket »

In Southern Louisiana we ride 12 months a year. On those 95 degree + days, a T shirt and 1/2 helmet is all you need for those back road rides and of course no gloves. Are we just joy riding or suiting up like a gladiator going to battle every time we mount up.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your back roads must be very safe .  You do see bikers in UK riding in T shirts and sometimes no gloves.  They are nearly all youths on 125s not adults on 125+ mph Sport tourers. Maybe you all have much thicker skins over there.
LIRider

Post by LIRider »

Get yourself some Grip Puppies Steve ... will make a world of difference on those narrow grips.  Clutch engagement is a little far out but you do get used to it  Congrats on the new ride! 
2016 R1200RT - Platinum Bronze Metallic
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RTman10 wrote: Your back roads must be very safe . You do see bikers in UK riding in T shirts and sometimes no gloves. They are nearly all youths on 125s not adults on 125+ mph Sport tourers. Maybe you all have much thicker skins over there.
It's more a compromise between safety and practicality in such hot conditions. I can't vouch for riding in the hot and humid South of the US, but I've ridden in 104 degree heat in the Nevada desert, and anything more than a cotton T shirt on top is just too much to bear!! Admittedly, I also wore armoured jeans, thin leather gloves and some HD boots, along with the good ol' pi*s pot skid lid!