1st gear clunk

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: 1st gear clunk

Post by guest2360 »

LC's have a magnetic drain plug as standard, TC's don't, although I've fitted one to mine.
They have one on the gearbox instead.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

DaygloDavid wrote: "Belt & Braces", oil filter magnets, http://www.magneticoildrainplugs.co.uk/Black_Hole_Oil_Filter_Magnets.html

Perfect!  And you can get these at your local Home Depot or Lowes in USA, not sure about the UK.
BMW MOA #210438
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:They have one on the gearbox instead.
That's where the iron comes from so it makes sense.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Blimey, 18 posts in less than 8 hours, some hot topic this is. I have owned 2 R1200RT's including my present Twincam. Ist gear engagement is silent, either hot or cold. In fact sometimes, especially from cold, I only partially withdraw the clutch so that I can hear and feel positive engagement.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Our Gee wrote: . Ist gear engagement is silent, either hot or cold.

Mine is loud enough to wake the dead. It sounds like I'm throwing a handful of bolts into an empty paint can!

It's the one thing that I REALLY dislike about the bike.
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

OurGee, if your selection of 1st gear is silent then I would suggest you have a faulty clutch and/or gearbox. Do not ride it until it has been thoroughly checked over by BMW Head Office in Germany!!! :))
chappers2a
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

chappers2a wrote: OurGee, if your selection of 1st gear is silent then I would suggest you have a faulty clutch and/or gearbox. Do not ride it until it has been thoroughly checked over by BMW Head Office in Germany!!! :) )

Or he is deaf  8)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Are these changes announced for 2017 models likely to help reduce 1st gear clunk.

"All R1200 models receive judder dampers on the transmission output shaft, along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing."
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The other explanation is he puts it in first then starts the engine.  Even my LC in silent then.  :alas:
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Are these changes announced for 2017 models likely to help reduce 1st gear clunk.

"All R1200 models receive judder dampers on the transmission output shaft, along with revised selector drum actuators, transmission shafts and transmission shaft bearing."

Some say they do some say no.  I hope not.  We all need a bit of character from our bikes .
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

RTman10 wrote: Are these changes announced for 2017 models likely to help reduce 1st gear clunk.

Some say they do some say no.  I hope not.  We all need a bit of character from our bikes .

You jest surely.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Our Gee wrote: Blimey, 18 posts in less than 8 hours, some hot topic this is. I have owned 2 R1200RT's including my present Twincam. Ist gear engagement is silent, either hot or cold. In fact sometimes, especially from cold, I only partially withdraw the clutch so that I can hear and feel positive engagement.

My dry clutch GS was the same. Quiet. Pity my wet clutch RT is so crappy when the rest of the bike is so good. Its called progress !
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Casbar wrote:
Or he is deaf  8)
"Pardon, say again"
Our Gee
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

RTman10 wrote: The other explanation is he puts it in first then starts the engine.  Even my LC in silent then.  :alas:
No, he dosen't. Normal start procedure adopted. Bike on side stand, rider standing at side, switch on ignition, swing leg over bike, bike has gone through it's checks, start engine, feather clutch and select 1st gear and ride away in silent majesty.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Well,one of them had to be quiet.  Wonder what the problem is. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk