1st gear clunk

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
freyguy17

Re: 1st gear clunk

Post by freyguy17 »

I had a buddy years ago who owned an BMW R69 US (Anybody here old enough to recall those ?).  It was like a "hopped up" R 60, but without the Earles fork.  When he would put it into first gear, it always sounded like a hammer hitting railroad iron !!  Then, it would clunk into 2nd, then even into 3rd.  Well, that bike went nearly 90 000 miles, and NEVER had a gearbox problem !  His main issue was with carburetion and various seals leaking.  So, I suspect that BMW is well aware of "clunking".  And, the metallurgy today is MUCH better than 60's vintage alloys.  SO, I don't think I'd lie awake at night worrying about such "clunks" !  This whole issue just makes me chuckle...there always has to be a "problem" to solve !  Since the RT 1200 is such a great bike, let's now nitpick on its "gear clunk" !!  Hilarious !
-FREY here in Ohio, loving my '15 water cooled RT 1200, clunk and all....and NO...I am NOT going to have my oil analyzed for excess gear shavings.  ;-)
Last edited by freyguy17 on Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Agree, that is what a warranty is for. Like I've said a few times, if you think a BMW clunks, try a Harley.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

+2.  If you have no clunk something about to break or has already broken.
wethead

Post by wethead »

The clunk is the trademark of BMW. I believe they have it patented so that no other sports touring bike manufacturer can imitate it (...kind of like the HD muffler sound).

And if you noticed, the japanese sports touring bike do not clunk. They are afraid to copy the BMW clunk.

But since 'silence' cannot be patent, and thus, no one can sue you for 'quiet', then my suggestion to BMW is that they take apart an FJR and counterfit the transmission scheme into the RT/s so that we don't have to have any more CLUNK threads...ever again!

...and BTW, you havent heard the epitome of a clunking BMW tranny till you ride a K1600.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

...and BTW, you havent heard the epitome of a clunking BMW tranny till you ride a K1600.

Never a truer word spoken (written)
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Pleased I've got a TC with a separate engine/gearbox & a dry clutch.

Had a MKII Golf GTI which did 225,000 miles & was still going strong when I sold it.
+1. Clunk free