No power to aux socket - RTLC

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
guest2368

No power to aux socket - RTLC

Post by guest2368 »

Hi folks,

Has anyone had this happen.  I plugged in my Optimate 4 and after half an hour I noticed it was still trying to activate the can/linbus system.  I started the bike and plugged in a few things, no power at the outlet.  I then checked it with a multimeter, again no power.

I checked the fuses, all good there, but I now have a service indicator on even after resetting the date and time...

I will phone the dealer later this week, but in the meantime has anyone any ideas?

Cheers,

John
bighopper

Re: No power to aux socket - RTLC

Post by bighopper »

Have you checked that the outlet is plugged in on the back, fallen off? Just a suggestion, simple things first.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What is the battery voltage?
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Hopper, yep all the connections checked.

David, high 13 to 14 volts with the engine running, according to the onboard readout.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sofnolime wrote:David, high 13 to 14 volts with the engine running, according to the onboard readout.
When doing a charging system check, the voltage at the battery should be 13 to 15 volts.

The power sockets automatically shutdown if the battery charge state is too low to maintain the motorcycle's start capacity.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Wouldn't think your problem is anything to do with the battery condition.  Something to do with a relay or the linbus system.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

RTman10 wrote: Wouldn't think your problem is anything to do with the battery condition.  Something to do with a relay or the linbus system.
I am starting to think it is a relay issue, there is no longer and audible 'click' when the outlet should be powering down or coming to life when the charger is connected.

To the dealers next week for a check...

John
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I am not aware of any click from the bike when I connect or disconnect a charger.  Only hear a click when the limbus shuts down about 40 seconds after turn off. Is that the click you are not getting any more.
kiki

Post by kiki »

HI John, I assume by the time i post this you will have already visited the dealer and the problem rectified. I reviewed the service manual and there is no specific guidance related to a failure of the socket to boot up. If I understand you correctly, not only does the charger fail to initiate the socket, so do other consumers (electric vests, etc).
The socket is set to turn off 60s after the bike is turned off if there are no consumers. The socket can be re-initiated by turning on the ignition.
So if the socket simply refuses to turn on, and the fuses are both ok, then i would try the under-seat (passenger) socket, to see if it is working. If it is, then the problem is the connector behind the fairing up front. Or at least that's where i would start looking. If the passenger socket behaves in the same way as the front one, then there is one of 2 issues causing the problem. 1) is an line issue that is causing a fault to both sockets, 2) a control issue that is causing fault with both.
Line or wire issues can crop up on their own, but usually are a result of modifications made by the owner. If its a control issue, you may want to try unhooking the battery (which is more complicated than it should be due to its location) and try re-connecting it. While you have the plastic off take a quick look at the cables to the socket. If you have a GS911 than you can get a closer look at the fault code that is tripping the dash light.
Now, since your bike is probably under warranty, you might not want to delve too deep into a solution.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Issue resolved, never trust your eyes!

I decided to check thing out a bit further, I checked the rear socket & found it to be live...  Last night I just gave the front socket a quick look and never fully removed the panel as the cable looked to be OK.  I took the panel off fully tonight and the connector was not connected at all.
So a quick clean up and pushed together and all is well, power again and I can get the bike on charge through the socket as well.

I had the air filter changed a couple of weeks ago and I have asked the dealer if it socket was disconnected to get to the filter and overlooked on the rebuild.

Lesson learned and thanks for everyone input!

John
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

sofnolime wrote:I had the air filter changed a couple of weeks ago and I have asked the dealer if it socket was disconnected to get to the filter and overlooked on the rebuild.
Yes, the socket will have been disconnected to get to the air filter, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDoeYK9tvmI