Keeping visors clean inside and out

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Glencoe
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT SE
Great Britain

Keeping visors clean inside and out

Post by Glencoe »

Having just replaced a couple of visors. What is recommended for keeping clean the anti mist surface without scratching it?
I used Rain X for the outside on previous visors, but see some unmovable marks on the inside from whatever I used to wipe it with, and I was being careful.
For the time being I only use warm water to clean the inside but it still needs some wiping to clean off the water marks when it is dry. For the outside I am now trying BMW visor cleaner, it is extremely good water repellent, but the inside is my concern. Not wishing to upset the anti mist properties. Any suggestions please. be
Just don't ask me to get up and dance..
guest2360

Re: Keeping visors clean inside and out

Post by guest2360 »

Much depends on the visor.  On the System 6 both the inside and the outside of the main visor are anti scratch but the insert is definitely not. 
When my insert gets a bit mucky I firstly take it off.  I then wash it under running luke  warm water having first gently covered it with hand wash.  I don't dry it.  Just leave it off until it dries. I wouldn't use any type of anti mist solution on either part and on the insert it would be ruined by it. As you point out a good visor cleaner on the outside will help with water dispersal.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Much depends on the visor.  On the System 6 both the inside and the outside of the main visor are anti scratch but the insert is definitely not. 
When my insert gets a bit mucky I firstly take it off.  I then wash it under running luke  warm water having first gently covered it with hand wash.  I don't dry it.  Just leave it off until it dries. I wouldn't use any type of anti mist solution on either part and on the insert it would be ruined by it. As you point out a good visor cleaner on the outside will help with water dispersal.

Same here.  Seems to work reasonably well.

Mind you, when I went on my tour to Africa a couple of months ago, I took a brand new Arai TX4 and because it was going to be sunny and dry, I didn't fit the pinlock.  What a forgotten pleasure - riding with a brand new visor and no multiple layers.  It was as if like Saul on the road to Damascus - the scales had fallen from my eyes...
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

richardbd wrote:
Same here.  Seems to work reasonably well.

Mind you, when I went on my tour to Africa a couple of months ago, I took a brand new Arai TX4 and because it was going to be sunny and dry, I didn't fit the pinlock.  What a forgotten pleasure - riding with a brand new visor and no multiple layers.  It was as if like Saul on the road to Damascus - the scales had fallen from my eyes...

Cripes that's a bit deep  :kacsint2:
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

smileymiley wrote:
Cripes that's a bit deep  :kacsint2:

Joking aside, it made me realise how much our vision is normally impaired by well-worn visors and pinlocks.  I take care of my kit but haven't bought a new helmet for a couple of years and haven't ridden in the UK without a pinlock for probably five or six.  The difference was extraordinary...
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

I clean the outside surface with Shift-it visor and helmet cleaner & then treat it with Visorvision Rain Coat Pro.  The Pinlok inserts only get dusty so just blowing it clean with compressed air does the trick.  I tend to fit a new visor & Pinlok every spring.  For a quick clean at the roadside, I have found the Visorvision V-Sponge to be excellent.
Taking a tip from my photo days, the main thing is not to wipe the visor with a dry cloth or sponge.  Make sure whatever you use is moist or use a cleaning fluid.
elephant8869

Post by elephant8869 »

I used to only use muck-off visor cleaner with a micro fibre cloth but now, since I do a lot of miles on the bike (12k a year), I use a drop of washing up liquid and cold water to clean the outside of the visor and just plain water to clean the inside face and pinlok when it's still fitted. I wipe the clean visor with kitchen towel. I only use the muck off cleaner when I'm on the road and need to clean the visor. Every two to four weeks I remove the pinlok clean the visor in soapy water and wipe dry and clean the pinlok just in cold water and allow that to drip dry. It does the trick. I replace the pinlok in the autumn each year and replace the visor every one to two years. I find the key to maintaining a good visor is never wipe with your glove on the move. It smears and scratches it. Better to stop and clean it properly
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Thanks all, it seems we agree, plenty clean water and maybe some soap. Think I shall invest in a V sponge, it has good reports.
Take care.
beemer dood

Post by beemer dood »

Been using Clearshot Lens Cleaner for visors, pinlocks and my coated scrip glasses with microfiber cloths for several years.  No issues yet. 

It comes in a gizmo that holds both the liquid, in a spray bottle, and two microfiber cloths, one rough, for scrubbing which I haven't ever used, and one smooth for general cleaning. 
Glencoe
Great Britain

Post by Glencoe »

Sounds good beemer, thanks for the info.
arkmark

Post by arkmark »

I use eyeglass cleaner wipes.  they are made for plastic lenses and individually packaged, so I just keep them in my top box.  I've also had good luck with nicwax visor proof for water repellent since rain-x is not for plastic (unless they have a new product out)
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

+1 for Nikwax visor proof.  Seems to build up a good coating after a few uses too.
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

The thread is a bit old, but the topic is always fresh.  I've got a Schuberth.  My visor is now over three years old. Maybe four.  I try to clean my visor after every ride, which means a lot of wiping and drying.  My rides include torrential rain, highway grit, grime and dust, summer rides and a lot of wiping away water and crap with my glove while riding.  Visors take a lot of use (not necessarily abuse).  My cleaning routine is almost always the same. Run it under luke warm water to remove dust and grit.  Then just a touch of bar soap and i wipe with a bare hand to remove oil and bugs and stuff.  I usually dry with a clean paper towel.  Works great.  If I have lots of bug guts I will lay a damp towel over the visor for a while to soften the crap.

I have a spare visor, but I've been waiting on my current one to expire before I fit the new one.  Visors are replaceable.  Don't try to make it last forever.  I will take my own advice and replace my visor before summer gets here.  I have kept the pin lock insert in for most of the time.  Took it out for a while, but in the evening or early morning I can get some moisture in there even in the summer.

What will the next generation of visors bring.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds like a very good way to,preserve your visor.  I know on my Pinlock the pegs each side have a groove where the Pinlock sits.  The pegs are eccentric.  Over time the groove can get bigger resulting a a slightly loose fit.  Try giving them a twist to tighten up the fit.  Might just get another four years out of it.
Taz

Post by Taz »

At the risk of being called a Moron, what is the pin lock?
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?