Keeping visors clean inside and out

Got any tips and tricks for BMW R1200RT/R1250RT owners? feel free to share them here.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Keeping visors clean inside and out

Post by Casbar »

Taz wrote: At the risk of being called a Moron, what is the pin lock?

Its an inner film that fits inside the visor, which is held with two pins through the visor. It forms a kind of double glazing inside the visor so doesn't in theory fog up. But quite often once the inner film loses its spring it can fog. the way to test if the pin lock is till ok, is to get a piece of paper and see if it can pass through anywhere, if it can, you can either adjust the pins to try and make it a tighter fit, or buy another insert. You can also google pin lock for a better explanation. Pin lock is the brand, they also make ear plugs, which are very good
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Taz wrote: At the risk of being called a Moron, what is the pin lock?
https://pinlock.com/what-is-a-pinlock-visor/  ;)
LAF

Post by LAF »

Plexus is really great stuff for any plastic, 

Made for the airplane industry it works but is a bit pricey.

http://plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
Last edited by LAF on Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by pkpilot »

LAF wrote: Plexus is really great stuff for any plastic, 

Made for the airplane industry it works but is a bit pricey.

http://plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html
Lemon Pledge or other brand equivalents work well and are significantly cheaper.  The wax protects and helps fill the microscratches.  Just make sure you are using a very soft cloth or paper product so you don't scratch the visor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Whatever type of cleaner/,polish you use, if you have a Pinlock insert get nothing on that or it will,instantly be destroyed.  Use nothing on that except soft soap or a gentle liquid hand wash and rinse it off with water.
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thanks for the pin lock feedback. I've not come across it before but will investigate now.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest3091

Post by guest3091 »

RTman10 wrote: Sounds like a very good way to,preserve your visor.  I know on my Pinlock the pegs each side have a groove where the Pinlock sits.  The pegs are eccentric.  Over time the groove can get bigger resulting a a slightly loose fit.  Try giving them a twist to tighten up the fit.  Might just get another four years out of it.

My pinlock pins are actually cams.  They can be rotated to adjust the fit of the pinlock visor.  Good point about the wear out.  Another good reason for me to go ahead and make the change out.  I took the visor out once and tried riding with only the shield.  I learned to put the pins back in the holes even when the pinlock isn't in use.  The damn thing whistled like a freight train.  I also noticed that, even though it's subtle, there is a slight darkening of the pinlock visor. A new one will be refreshing.  Funny how I can pay thousands for what I hope is the best bike on the market and be so chintzy with my visors.  I vow to replace the visor each spring.  :))
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Cams , eccentric same thing I thing.  But your right. For not much money it pays to swap each year for the clearest view. I recall that in the box with my System 6 there was a little plastic bag containing two spare pins and a couple of blankplugs to use if you took the Pinlock out. [/size]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.