General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Has anyone upgraded their horn?

Post by Casbar »

Fitted one to my bike

E39 5 Series low tone Part# 61-33-8-381-271 Horn Low

You do have to mess around a bit with positioning, so it doesn't hit the forks, but its not a drama.
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Hi, just googled part No found horn as stated I noticed It has a relay associated with it but you just fitted the horn without one, just plug and play is your bike an lc model ?? 
Last edited by futterweasel on Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

futterweasel wrote: Hi, just googled part No found horn as stated I noticed It has a relay associated with it but you just fitted the horn without one, just plug and play is your bike an lc model ??

Yep didn't know about any relay, fitted it 6 months ago with no issues at all. Yep 2014 LC. Had to re-position the mounting arm on the horn, needed to mess around a little with the correct position, but not a major drama and not a long job. Works fine
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Fitted one to my bike

E39 5 Series low tone Part# 61-33-8-381-271 Horn Low

You do have to mess around a bit with positioning, so it doesn't hit the forks, but its not a drama.

Hang on a minute Casbar, that's a proper BMW part.  What's happening
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Cheaper as its not made for BMW Motorcycles  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Of course.  Hadn't thought of that.
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Fitted Nautilus Wolo Bad Boy to my 2015 Rt.  Great improvement over standard horn. Fiddly to position horn, but wiring, using using kit with relay and fuse was relatively straightforward. As a safety measure it was worth every penny!
wethead

Post by wethead »

Sullivj wrote: Do you have a part number for it Wethead?

Its right there Sulli [size=2px]BMW e39 525 530 Horn low tone - 420 Hz[/size]
[size=2px][/size]
All you gotta do is ask for this in a BMW car-part dealership. But I must tell ya, a bunch of K16 dudes found the same horn on line for less than 70 bucks which is what I paid for to a BMW car dealership.
The thing is, when I buy sheet on line I often wonder if I am getting the sweat-shop version from China...you 'now whatta'm say'ng bro?
If you search on the K16 forum for this topic you 'll find the guys who doneit, and who got it cheaper and where, and if the horn is still working.
I am sure mine is the real McCoy Beemer part.
One thing I can assure you of: its loud as sheet!!
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You don't need to find a car dealer.  Quote the full,part number quoted by Casbar to your bike dealer.  All BMW parts come from the same place.
wethead

Post by wethead »

Lot of guys in the K16 forum bought that horn on line.
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Apparently those little blue pills work a treat on the horn upgrade

futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Do you think any 12V BMW low tone horn with the same electrical connection would do, I assume they all put out the same amount of DB or do different countries have different sound level limits?