Navigator V

Having problems with the BMW Navigator V VI or the TFT display?
BeeJay

Navigator V

Post by BeeJay »

Decided to bite the bullet and buy the Nav V.
I found the 660 okay but having to stretch to reach the screen was a bit of a bind.

Found BMW in Plymouth doing a really good deal on new Navs.
Seeing that you can find second-hand units for lots of money, I thought that £499 with 2 year's warranty was an offer too good to pass.
Spoke to Chris Stone and sorted it, with free next day delivery, should get it tomorrow.
Now all I have to do is sort the fixing of my 660 onto Anne's VFR.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/162277303495? ... EBIDX%3AIT

8)
guest2360

Re: Navigator V

Post by guest2360 »

Barry.  When you get it plug it into Garmin Express and ensure it lets you register it and it offers you free upgrades.  There was a 90 day limit from when the unit first connected to the satellites for it to be given free lifetime updates.  Might not apply now but I'm not sure.  Even though your wheel will now work it's functions are limited so there is still a bit of reaching required.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Can either the Nav 5, 660 or both be disabled so that they cannot be adjusted on the move, except from the wonder wheel in the case of the Nav 5.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yes. You might not be able to disable everything though, like mute etc.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I thought that I could control the Nav from the wheel, like select new destination, alter auto re-calc etc.
I know that music is best played from a USB stick through the autocom.
So it's limited functionality through the wheel?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You can change the screen page , zoom in and out but not much more.  You cannot play music from the Nav when you have an audio unit. The screen is a big improvement over the 660 as are the prompts and map details  at junctions. It has no internal speaker so if you use it in the car you will need a new mount. If they haven't put a micro SD card in it you will need one of them before updating the maps.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

Thanks for that.
I must admit I thought it was all singing and dancing from the wheel.
But the better screen and prompts are welcomed.
I'll let you know how I get on with it

David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

With the 660, "Safe Mode, unless turned off, disables all functions requiring "significant" operator attention that could be distractions while in motion."

The "Safe Mode" can be turned off/on as follows:-

Tools - Settings - Security - Safe Mode - Off or On.

Does the Nav 5 have a similar function.
Last edited by David. on Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Well, my Nav 5 is beginning to frustrate me now...!!! >:(  I've recently put a 32GB micro SD card (SanDisk Ultra) in the unit and lo and behold, when I plug it into my Mac PC, the Sat Nav only recognises the internal memory by telling me that I need to insert a micro SD card for more memory capacity....!!!Grrr! The card is already formatted to FAT 32, so I thought this should be readable by the Sat Nav. Has anyone got any ideas/advice or had similar experience??

Thanks.
Steve
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

I ended up with the following card 32GB in mine cause I had all sorts of issues with it seeming to be a bit finicky to the ultra's etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HXR511A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have you loaded anything on the card before putting it in the Nav, like music.  Youwill then be able to tell if it really doesn't know it's there or just your Mac. Unless of course you have an audio unit.
RaistlinRTCW

Post by RaistlinRTCW »

Also though it was FAT32 formated I re-formated in Disk Utility on the Mac
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I put my Ghost camera Sandisc ultra 32G cards in. Tend to stick to 64G in the camera now.
Quick format on the laptop, connected the nav V and uploaded the latest maps with no problem.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Looks like the old 90 day rule to register is dead and buried. 
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

RaistlinRTCW wrote: I ended up with the following card 32GB in mine cause I had all sorts of issues with it seeming to be a bit finicky to the ultra's etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HXR511A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Yes, that may well be my next move to try an Extreme card variant. Thanks for that snippet.