European Meet Black Forest May 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: European Meet Black Forest May 2017

Post by David. »

There you go, two customers already.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Yep, great.  Even better when there are 22 of us.  Out of interest for those up north.  On our 2015 trip to Austria a few opted to travel Hull Zeebrugge and met up with the rest of us at Haguenau which was a half way overnight stay.  It's only about 50 miles from Bad Herrenalb.  They insisted is was better than going from Folkestone. It also brings down what I need by £75.00 per bike.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Some folks "Up North" like Hull to Zeebrugge. I prefer Hull to Rotterdam, it's a bigger ship, with later check-in times & a shorter crossing.

Although it doesn't look it, depending on where you are going in Germany it's a shorter distance & quicker time from Rotterdam.

Folkestone is 300 miles away, would rather ride those miles outside of the UK.
Last edited by David. on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

After exchanging a few PM's with John (RTman10),I am giving this tour some thought.

I'm not wishing to commit myself at the moment, but would like to pose the question, "are there any others "up North" who fancy the trip".

Being 300 miles from Folkestone, I've got a few alternative ideas including using ferries from Hull.

If it's of any interest to anyone, I'm happy to share my thoughts on the forum or via PM.

I've asked Admin to move this thread from "General Discussion" to "Organised Meetings", hopefully it won't get lost in there.
Last edited by David. on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's nice to see the interest in our tour and I already have two confirmed bookings.  Should point out though that I only have at present 2 single rooms left. 
The good news is that I can change double rooms into twins and that reduces the cost cinsiderably.  You just need to find a friend.
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Is the plan to ride from Notts to destination hotel in one hit or is there an overnight stop. I would be coming from Manchester area, and would prefer a single room but I do not mind sharing if necessary.
chappers2a
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No definitely not one hit, that's over 600 miles.  Have a look at the tour Brochure at Pidcock.com.  You will get a ticket from Folkestone leaving about mid day on the Friday.  This allows you to get somewhere into the 400 mile trip across Europe.  You have the option though of doing you own thing on channel crossing.  On the return trip the crossing will be at about 5pm.  Hard types then have the option of riding home the same day.  Most don't and stay in the Ashford area to say their farewells.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

Dropped my deposit off at Pidcock's this morning  :)
Will be making own travel arrangements as we will be dropping in to Switzerland  for a few days before meeting you all in Bad Herrenalb.
Will be popping in to see my  brother in Dusseldorf  for a couple of days on the way home.
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Must have just missed you but they told me you had been in.  You will still get all the info we send out even though you are going early.  See you there.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Just had a look at the hotel your are staying at on trip advisor, doesn't get great reviews. Have you been there before? Maybe interested in the tour  8)
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Is the 'half way' overnight stop included or do we need to sort this ourselves?
chappers2a
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

chappers2a wrote: Is the 'half way' overnight stop included or do we need to sort this ourselves?

If you read the blurb on the Pidcock site, it shows the dates, so accommodation starts on the Saturday, so guess the answer is sort yourself.
octatonic

Post by octatonic »

Last edited by octatonic on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just had a look at the hotel your are staying at on trip advisor, doesn't get great reviews. Have you been there before? Maybe interested in the tour  8)

You know what reviews are like.  Yes we have used it before.  Used to be a Treff hotel and changed to Best Western in 2012 when we were last there.  The were 50 of us
and the only complaint I had was when one waiter tried one dinner time to charge for water. It didn't happen.  It's a nice friendly hotel with a secure  garage and very good food. As you say you look after yourself on the Friday night.  On most of our tours we leave early on a Saturday morning but that results in staying in the Ashford area on Friday.  That is more expensive than France or Belgium or even Luxembourg and not as good. On long haul trips like Italy and Austria we do build in staging hotels but this one is possible in one hit if you want.