Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

2000 mile report

Post by smileymiley »

Just covered 2000 miles on this:

[attach=1]

I know I've said I wouldn't have another Beemer after all the problems that occurred with my first LC, but the ashtray was full!! & SWMBO was better off on the rear than any other comparable bike.
I still believe that the buyers of the 14 LC were beta testers.
This one is the full fat version of the 17 model, nothing has dropped off yet, & also there's plenty of brake pad left in the rear!
Having come straight off the 14 model to this I can say that there is no discernible difference in the power output of the new one. The one exception for the better is that the quick shifter is noticeably smoother & faster than the old. Changing up or down the box from 2 - 6 is always a smooth transition. No clunks at all either way. The shift into 1st is also without the clunk that the 14 had. 
The bike came with PR4's on, which are good but I'll change to a pair of Road Smart III when it's time to change. I found these to be a far better handling tyre for me. Other tyre manufacturers are available!
My Nav 5 was put on the new bike from the 14 and noticed I that you get all the bike info shown as it is on a GS, tyre pressures, engine temp, lean angle etc. very peculiar. when I queried this the technicians didn't know about it.  :whistle:
All in all this one is a far better bike than the 14 model & I'm quite happy :) :silence:

At the moment
Attachments
New BMW R1200RT.jpg
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest3075

Re: 2000 mile report

Post by guest3075 »

I agree about the beta testing of the 14 models, it's a shame as it's not like the first bike they have made.

The quick shift is as it should have been and so easy !
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Not sure what the issue is with the 14 bikes, mine which I bought in January is brilliant, so I don't feel like a beta tester. Interested in your Nav V comment though, so they have updated the software so you get more information than you did on the 14 -16 bikes. That is an improvement.
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Post by T6pilot »

Smily
Question does your bike have ABS pro, sure would like to know if earlier bikes can get a computer update to show info on nav V
I've experienced no issues with my 15 with shift assist 6000 miles and counting
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Pro shift on my 14 is very smooth, silent and lightening quick in all gears 2 to 6 up and down.  Wouldn't like to loose my clunk though.
smileymiley
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 17MY
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times
Great Britain

Post by smileymiley »

T6PILOT
Yes it has ABS Pro, but have not got into any situation that it has activated. Not sure I'd want to find out really  :o .
Vini, Vidi, Velcro....... I came, I saw, I stuck around.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Casbar wrote: Not sure what the issue is with the 14 bikes,
My 14 model was very erratic at smooth gear changing, it needed a new clutch and clutch basket at 6k, and was very hit and miss when using shift assist.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: My 14 model was very erratic at smooth gear changing, it needed a new clutch and clutch basket at 6k, and was very hit and miss when using shift assist.

I would say you were in the minority, every bike has Friday builds. Mine and many others have been faultless, mine has done 6k in the last 5 months, the only issue being the flap in the exhaust, which is the same as the 2017 models.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

There has been the odd one with clutch issues.  Had one with me who's clutch stuck on at a toll booth just outside Metz back in May 15. Bike was recovered to UK because a French dealer couldn't find a problem with it.  We replaced nearly everything from the lever to the clutch as we couldn't either.  Bikes been perfect ever since.