Rookie with seating problem

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
JMC

Rookie with seating problem

Post by JMC »

Hello everyone
I'm JMC and I'm new to the forum and to the bmw 1200rt.
Bought my motorcycle two days ago and I'm loving the experience.
I came from a Honda 4 cylinders (cbf1000) to a 2010 DOHC RT.
The only problem I'm having is with the seat height.
My previous motorcycle was slightly lighter than the RT and had a 780mm seat height, making both my feet planted to the floor.
My RT has the low heated seat which should be at 780mm also. [size=2px]However, in the RT I'm tiptoeing, which doesn't make me confortable for the emergency braking manouvers or for the backing and low speed manouvers.[/size]
[size=2px]Anyone had sucess shaving a low heated seat? Or is there a maker of heated seats lower than the oem heated seat?[/size]
[size=2px]Thanks for any advice.[/size]
[size=2px]Regards to all.[/size]
[size=2px]JMC[/size]
MacJ

Re: Rookie with seating problem

Post by MacJ »

Just a thought but check the suspension setting. Is it set for a single rider? This affects the preload and height. With the bike stationary you should feel it rise and fall as you change the settings.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

BMW offer a heated comfort bench seat, can't find a seat height, but it is described as "extra-low".

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You have checked that the height adjustment under the front of the seat is in the low position?  The comfort bench seat is higher at 775mm.The low seat on its lowest setting should be 770mm. The ESA setting also makes a big differences.  I was always on tiptoes on anything but the Singe Rider setting.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

JMC wrote: Hello everyone
I'm JMC and I'm new to the forum and to the bmw 1200rt.
Bought my motorcycle two days ago and I'm loving the experience.
I came from a Honda 4 cylinders (cbf1000) to a 2010 DOHC RT.
The only problem I'm having is with the seat height.
My previous motorcycle was slightly lighter than the RT and had a 780mm seat height, making both my feet planted to the floor.
My RT has the low heated seat which should be at 780mm also. [size=2px]However, in the RT I'm tiptoeing, which doesn't make me confortable for the emergency braking manouvers or for the backing and low speed manouvers.[/size]
[size=2px]Anyone had sucess shaving a low heated seat? Or is there a maker of heated seats lower than the oem heated seat?[/size]
[size=2px]Thanks for any advice.[/size]
[size=2px]Regards to all.[/size]
[size=2px]JMC[/size]
Welcome - There are several examples out there and some links and ideas from this :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFYhFY5_t1s

Enjoy the TC
JMC

Post by JMC »

I have the ESA set at single rider and the seat in the low setting.
Do the back rubber bushes of the seat have any sort of fiddling that might change the height?

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

If the seat is in the lowest position at the front it only sits in the lowest bit at the back.
JMC

Post by JMC »

DaygloDavid wrote: BMW offer a heated comfort bench seat, can't find a seat height, but it is described as "extra-low".

But from the information i gathered in the web, looks like the extra low seat only fits in lowered chassis RT's.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Looking at the 2010 Rider's Manual, the low front seat is 780mm in it's low position.

It's not only the height, the rider's inside-leg arc, heel to heel comes in to play, it's 1800mm with the above seat & position.

If the comfort seat is 775mm, then this must be lower.

"The seat height is 785mm which is 5mm higher than the standard low seat so hardly any difference at all. The seat feels flatter more like an lt style seat works for me I think that this could be the answer for people with a short inseam."
Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

JMC wrote:But from the information i gathered in the web, looks like the extra low seat only fits in lowered chassis RT's.
Found this thread on the BMWLT forum, http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/5 ... -seat.html

"No the bike is not the lowered version but when you fit the comfort seat you have to remove the front adjuster bar and the middle seat mounts. This lowers the seat even further I was on tip toes before with a 29" leg you should be ok are you sure seat was not set on high. It didn't change my position by much feels more comfortable for me anyway. "

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It was definitely not on my 2009 but as you say width has just as much to do with it as height.  There are two version of the bench seat.  The Comfort version is heated but the moulding underneath means you have to remove the adjustment bits on the bike. The seat is still taller to sit on than the single low seat.  The Extra low bench seat was fitted to the bike which came with lower suspension, No heating and no ESA.  Seat height I remember was 750mm and you got lots of scraping when you pushed it in bends. I thought the 780 height was the low setting on the standard seat. All these problems behind me now with 760mm on my LC.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

It will make a difference to the rider's inside-leg arc, whether your feet are placed in front or behind the footrests.

Last edited by David. on Wed Nov 30, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

DaygloDavid wrote: BMW offer a heated comfort bench seat, can't find a seat height, but it is described as "extra-low".
Have you got the Part No?
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:Have you got the Part No?
RealOEM comes up with this, http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=52_3801
ds99

Post by ds99 »

I had this OEM BMW "comfort" seat on my 2007 RT and it is definitely lower than the standard seat