Aux fusebox on new RT LE - dealer or fit self?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
Paggers

Aux fusebox on new RT LE - dealer or fit self?

Post by Paggers »

I plan to have an auxiliary fusebox on my new LE. This will run an Innovv camera system, some USB charging ports, plus possibly my intercom if I decide not to stick with the Bluetooth route.

I have ordered a 'fuzeblock' panel - my question is whether I should fit this myself or pay the dealer to do it. I have no concerns about the fitting, I'm just wondering if it will reduce any risk in terms of any future warranty claims if the work was done by the dealer. I know I'm probably being paranoid but it never hurts to ask.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3075

Re: Aux fusebox on new RT LE - dealer or fit self?

Post by guest3075 »

Crowpers of Turnbrudge, flatly refsused to fit anything non BMW to my RT's, claiming product liability but and insurance and a y in the day of the week.

I fitted a Fuzeblock to the tail of my RT last week, made up a plastic 6mm sheet to fit it on.

Red lines show where I fitted it the Fuzeblock sits at the back

Attachments
IMG_5618.JPG
Last edited by guest3075 on Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks. The more I think about it the more inclined I am to just do it myself. Aside from any other argument, if the dealer did agree to do it they would probably keep the bike for days and that's time that I could be out riding the bike. Plus, given that I will have to strip the bike down to fit the Innovv camera system, it seems logical to just fit the fuzebox at the same time.

Clearly it has been too long since I bought a brand new bike - either that or I have become rather too paranoid in my old age.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I was fed up with trying to recall what length screws went were, so made this template up, I laminated the sheets, then went to hobbycraft and got some A1 foam board sheets, and glued them together and drilled into the blue circles to push the bolts through.

Much easier than trying to recall where short and long screws go.

Attachments
BMW panels screw locations.pdf
(524 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

What a great idea, fortunately, not such a problem with the TC.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I was fed up with trying to recall what length screws went were, so made this template up, I laminated the sheets, then went to hobbycraft and got some A1 foam board sheets, and glued them together and drilled into the blue circles to push the bolts through.

Much easier than trying to recall where short and long screws go.

Very clever. I suspect I may need something just like that.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

The biggest problem is adding extra terminals on the positive side of the battery, and sliding the battery back in. It's a tad tight in there.

I will be investing in a PDM 60 so I can wire in my heated gear as well, at present I have a direct heated gear connection to the battery as well as the Fuzeblock.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: The biggest problem is adding extra terminals on the positive side of the battery, and sliding the battery back in. It's a tad tight in there.

I will be investing in a PDM 60 so I can wire in my heated gear as well, at present I have a direct heated gear connection to the battery as well as the Fuzeblock.
Yes, definitely a cosy fit. However, isn't that where the +ve auxiliary terminal comes in handy. Admittedly, only any good for 2 or 3 eyelet lead ends?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I'm assuming it's the same as on my 2013 GS. I used the +vs connector next to the battery and earthed via the frame. No need to mess with the battery at all.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Steve F wrote: Yes, definitely a cosy fit. However, isn't that where the +ve auxiliary terminal comes in handy. Admittedly, only any good for 2 or 3 eyelet lead ends?

Good point, well presented !
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Steve F wrote:Yes, definitely a cosy fit. However, isn't that where the +ve auxiliary terminal comes in handy.
Last edited by David. on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.