Goretex gloves

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Jacksnipe

Re: Goretex gloves

Post by Jacksnipe »

I rate both Weise gloves and Held. Depends on how much wedge you want to spend. Great website Get Geared ,more gloves on there to satisfy all needs and pockets. For me waste of money buying BM clothing, unlike bikes that in the main they manufacture  they are not exclusively a bike clothing company like Held for example and there are better and  greater value out there than BM'sclothing and helmets for that matter.
Jacksnipe
Jim

Post by Jim »

Held 2-1 gloves, very similar to the BMW ones, £175:00 if I remember right, same price as BMWs 2-1s
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Held 2-1 gloves, very similar to the BMW ones, £175:00 if I remember right, same price as BMWs 2-1s

But probably only half the warranty length.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

I have a pair of Held 2 in 1 gloves, they are not winter gloves their freezer gloves are for that. I paid £100.00 for my 2 plus 1's by the way. HELD and REVIT turn out a range of great clothing with different price ranges all IMHO better than similar level BM stuff. BM clothing, a bit like Audi's or for that matter Mini's sell on Badge awareness rather than for other more pragmatic reasons,  as there are better quality and value to be had, however you pays your money you makes your choice.
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You are quite right.  It all depends how any particular brand suits you or has performed  over time. 
I have a pair of Streetguard trousers and a matching Tourguard jacket from 2002.  15 seasons on the road and still like new.  I suspect any goodwill on warranty won't work if anything eventually gives in. 
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Held 2-1 gloves, very similar to the BMW ones, £175:00 if I remember right, same price as BMWs 2-1s

But probably only half the warranty length.

The BMW ones are made by Held...
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have found my BMW Winter Gloves keep me warm & dry during the trip to / from work.  The only caveat is that these are the (now) really old version.  I can't comment on the latest version.  However I would expect the standard to remain the same.
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Made by Held you reckon.
Mine, not the latest, say Made in Viet Nam.  Probably Vietnam but who knows. 
Never leaked and toasty warm with a  nice built in visor wipe.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My Held gloves are made in Germany. My BMW Pro Winter are made in China, so  obviously  a higher quality than the Vietnam made ones are, but a long way from Germany  8)
gazcoo

Post by gazcoo »

Ive had a pair of Racer Elevate Goretex gloves for three years, covered around 20,000 miles.  They have always been bone dry, even in the worst British weather.

https://ultimatemotorcycling.com/2014/0 ... ve-review/
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Ah yes made in Germany but by whom. Might have been a Vietnamese.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I was in Vietnam last week and hoping to find a market stall knocking out BMW clothing via the back door, sadly no such luck, all I found was a posh BMW showroom in a shopping mall with clothing priced the same as here in the UK.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So BMW ship them half way round the world and don't add anything on.  Brilliant.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: So BMW ship them half way round the world and don't add anything on.  Brilliant.

That's one way of looking at it. The other way is to work out just how much markup the UK dealers must be applying if the dealer in Vietnam can still make a profit at the same price despite all the additional shipping costs!
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The price of BMW clothing as well as everything else BMW is not decided by dealers.  They can only discount.  The margin given to them is about half that what they could make by selling aftermarket/other make of clothing.  This option is not normally open to them.