RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Post by David. »

I would like to thank RTman10 for very kindly posting a thread, inviting forum members to join the Pidcock BMW Black Forest Tour for 2017.

Is anyone planning a DIY Euro trip for 2017, which they would be willing to share with other forum members.

Do any of the Euro members have any thoughts about their local which might be of interest.

Have you any experience of organising tours for other folks.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Re: RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Post by guest2360 »

World of BMW do one in July to Garmisch.  Eurotunnel 6 nights B & B and a dinner in a tent at the Festival.  Thousands turn up,  £2295 per couple.  I did it in 2012.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

There has been some previous discussion about paying a tour operator v's the DIY tour, have had experience of both.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

[size=1em]DaygloDavid I prefer the DIY option. Two of us did Garmisch last year. Stayed in great accomodation on the way there and a Superb apartment within walking distance of the site. It cost a damned site less than £2290. We did have to buy our own food in the tent though!

Just may do it again this year.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Not sure I would do Garmisch twice.  Yes the tent is good fun but the festival, or it was in 2012 75% trade stalls. They did supply me with a fold up map and some gpx routs though. You can also,op to travel from Hull but that probably costs more. Wouldn't really call it an organised tour though as most just did their own thing between hotels.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In 2012, we used a tour operator to Italy. We had previously met the tour guide & also had a friend travelling with us. It worked really well with a small group of riders.

For our 2015 trip to Norway, we used another tour operator. It turned out to be more of a "self guided" trip. The group was too large, approx. 35 people.
Many folks had been on previous tours with this company, it was obvious & quite cliquey, the newbies were more or less left to their own devices.

Having now gained some Euro experience, I'm reasonably confident to take the DIY approach.

If I was travelling to new, unknown territory, with a complex itinerary, I wouldn't rule out using a tour operator again.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

There really is little or no need for a tour operator, staying close to home or even further away.

The group I ride with every year is a mixture of South Africans, Americans, Germans and me.  We're not particularly different to any other group - we just like to make our own plans - and we don't camp!

We've put our own tours together to:

South Africa
Germany/Austria/Italy/Switzerland/France
California and Oregon
England/Wales/Ireland/Scotland
Alaska - including the Dalton Highway and Top of the World
Spain and Portugal
Corsica and Sardinia
Iceland
Namibia and Botswana

To be fair, we did take a guide in Iceland but mainly to make sure we had local knowledge of some good gravel/off-road stuff.  The rest, we did 100% on our own.  We planned the route, booked the hotels and took the toolkit.  Oh - and saved a few bob too...

Man-up chaps!

guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

We (as a two up - wife & me ) try to get two European DIY Trips in a year. Like to use the ferry for overnight (makes it feel like the adventure has begun). It's the freedom that drives us, usually one bike but never more than two. Research the routes well and like the big cities and provincial capitals - two nights in each - 200/250 mile days.
When its solo riding (one to two bikes) - one night stays and 300/350 mile days - although we did do 480 one day - and I won't be doing that again.  ;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Is anyone willing to consider organising a Euro trip for other forum members or come up with some suggestions.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Richard you are right, it's no problem to arrange a tour for yourself.  The two threads started here were to try and arrange a meet for Forum members. In the UK it's simple enough. I suggested the Pidcock Rideaway as a way of getting a meeting set up in Europe.
To arrange such a meet in Europe as individuals would be difficult.  It involves committing funds for hotel deposits etc and anything more than 4 or 5 rooms will,involve contracts.  David tried to see if he could join up with the Pidcock run as an individual and found it difficult, for half a dozen to try would be even more so. 
If you haven't done a trip to Europe before joining an orgsnised trip,is a good way to get into the habit.
Five members have already booked to Bad Herrenalb

Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

RTman10 wrote: Richard you are right, it's no problem to arrange a tour for yourself.  The two threads started here were to try and arrange a meet for Forum members. In the UK it's simple enough. I suggested the Pidcock Rideaway as a way of getting a meeting set up in Europe.
To arrange such a meet in Europe as individuals would be difficult.  It involves committing funds for hotel deposits etc and anything more than 4 or 5 rooms will,involve contracts.  David tried to see if he could join up with the Pidcock run as an individual and found it difficult, for half a dozen to try would be even more so. 
If you haven't done a trip to Europe before joining an orgsnised trip,is a good way to get into the habit.
Five members have already booked to Bad Herrenalb

Definitely agree - rounding up the gang is the hardest part of the whole thing.  Even with your mates, it's like herding cats!!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I've done loads of solo trips in Europe, but I'm lazy and its a lot easier to let someone else do the admin.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

richardbd wrote:
Definitely agree - rounding up the gang is the hardest part of the whole thing.  Even with your mates, it's like herding cats!!

There are 3 of us who do weekend trips in the UK and that is a nightmare to organise, getting hotels sorted and then routes and then getting people to commit. Herding cats is a very good analogy.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

So not having ridden in France for a couple of years and reading what you should have and not have. Do you guys put the stickers on your helmets? Read one post which said this is only for Helmets bought in France and does not need to be retrospectively fitted to Helmets bought outside. And do you wear your Hi Vis vests as the rules state the vests if not worn should be reachable by both the rider and pillion without getting off the bike? Do you also carry spare bulbs? Didn't really bother with the stickers and used to just have the Hi Vis in the panniers.
richardbd

Post by richardbd »

Casbar wrote: So not having ridden in France for a couple of years and reading what you should have and not have. Do you guys put the stickers on your helmets? Read one post which said this is only for Helmets bought in France and does not need to be retrospectively fitted to Helmets bought outside. And do you wear your Hi Vis vests as the rules state the vests if not worn should be reachable by both the rider and pillion without getting off the bike? Do you also carry spare bulbs? Didn't really bother with the stickers and used to just have the Hi Vis in the panniers.

No stickers.
Carry Hi-viz vest (always) in pannier.
No bulbs.
Oh - and no breathalyser either!