RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Want to arrange a local meet or ride out with like minded people? Then please post about it in this section with all the details and dates.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Re: RT Forum meet in Europe 2017

Post by Sullivj »

Casbar wrote:
So is that spare bulb set and what about a warning triangle, one site said not for bikes another said you needed one

Yes, I carry spare bulbs and fuses.  A 1st aid kit too.

I have a flashing warning 'thing'. It's not a triangle, but it's easy to see from a distance and runs off batteries.

http://evaq8.co.uk/Emergency-LED-Flare.html?gclid=COKZ7Y2A3tACFYG37Qod3l4MXg

My foreign touring kit, is packed into a small clear toiletries bag, so just gets chucked in the top box when I go away. I'd rather have the peace of mind to know it's there.

Their fine was eye watering. They had to get more cash out to pay it. The alternative was bike seizure.
Last edited by Sullivj on Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

RTman10 wrote: MacJ.  £65 all in ferry price.  Could you break that down please.

This is the detail from my last crossing (copy and paste from the ticket):
[size=78%]brittanyferries.com[/size]

Ticket
Agent ref: XIGOSSUK Account no: 601315 NG2xxx/1
Booking reference: NG26235 Version No: 1
Passenger name: MR Malcolm JARVIS
Outbound Sailing Monday 28th March 2016 Ferry: Bretagne
All times shown are local Route: Portsmouth-St Malo Departure time: 20:15 Arrival time: 08:15
Please ensure you arrive at the port no less than 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Passenger details
4 Adults
Vehicle details Registration
4 Motor cycle VX14xxx BJ12xxx BG65xxx W719xxxx
Onboard accommodation Cabin Number
1 x Inside large 2 berth/4 berth cabin with ensuite facilities 6603
Return Sailing Tuesday 29th March 2016 Ferry: Normandie
All times shown are local Route: Caen/Ouistreham-Portsmouth Departure time: 23:00 Arrival time: 06:45
Please ensure you arrive at the port no less than 45 minutes before the scheduled departure time.
Passenger details
4 Adults
Vehicle details Registration
4 Motor cycle VX14xxx BJ12xxx BG65xxx W719xxx
Onboard accommodation Cabin Number
1 x Inside large 2 berth/4 berth cabin with ensuite facilities 7206
Important Information
Click the links below to view additional lnformation Total cost £248.00

These are booked under the 'Offers' section on the Ferry web site and are restricted to certain dates (off peak). If just two travel it's a bit extra as the cabin for 2 is more expensive. Remarkable value though.
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Very cheap. We paid more than that EACH for the same crossing in June this year.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

This thread has drifted somewhat for the OP, but "hey ho", it's provoked some discussion.

When we do go to Europe, we'll know what to take with us!

On the subject of warning triangles, found this helmet bag.

Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Really amazing value, that's for sure.  As with all things go to mid season at peak times and they get you,  Today their off is for a car and one person one way £79. 
Worth watching though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Regarding the French stickers, I have driven frequently in France - mainly going from Antwerp to Calais & vice versa to the tunnel - I have never been stopped for no sticker violations.

There are other considerations to driving on the continent as well - GPS speed cameras.  In Switzerland & Germany these are illegal - no question.  In France the exact position is illegal although it is permissible to have "Danger Zones"

I think as always, if you draw attention to yourself, speeding and braking hard etc you should be ok.  However with Brexit, I think any UK registered vehicle has become a target for a bored Police Agent.

The rules are changing and it is virtually impossible to obey all of them, so somewhere you are guilty!

BTW The speeding penalties in Belgium are changing - and not for the better!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No bulbs.  Well,it's not mandatory to carry spare bulbs in any European country but it's illegal to ride with a blown one.  As something like an LC only has one replaceable bulb that's not a big deal either.  Wonder how many think they need to stash an enormous warning triangle in their pannier.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

With regard to reflective stickers on helmets I've just read that if your helmet and clothing were bought in an EU country and conform to the regulations where bought, you do not need to wear reflective stickers.

In particular interest to me as I'm off on a one month tour here next year .... Bluetooth communication headsets are prohibited in Spain.

If you need glasses for driving you do have to carry a spare pair with you. I think that applies to most of Europe.

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Would you like to share where you read this please.  This could save people at least £2.99 for the stickers.
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I have read the French Law is poorly written.  it was intended for French purchased helmets, however it can be interpreted as all Helmets used within France.

If PC Plod wants to nick you - he will.  A number of work colleagues / friends travel through France or holiday there.  One has a second home in Spain and takes his bike from Antwerp to Spain 2-3 times a year.  He does not have additional stickers on his helmet.  Another holidays in France, he goes so far as not to wear his helmet.  He has been cautioned by the local Police that it is safe to wear a helmet.  Does not get a fine.

I still maintain that if you do not attract attention the Police will leave you alone. (The friend without a helmet is the exception!)

While I think of it: There is a law in Belgium on protective clothing.  You need to have the ankles covered by boots, a jacket with long sleeves, trousers that cover at least the knees, gloves & of course the helmet.  As with all good laws it is slightly flawed!  No safety specs are mentioned.  So a fleece jacket, capris, wellingtons & white jewellers (or chocolatiers) gloves are acceptable!!  However this is of no interest to the RT riders!  Also there are still a number of sports bike riders who wear shorts, sport vests & trainers in Belgium!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

This is the latest gem I can find from the AA. 
  • must use your dipped headlight during the day. [/font]
  •   [/font]Riders on any two-wheeled vehicle must wear a crash helmet. [/font]
  •   [/font]All helmets must display reflective stickers on the front, rear and sides in [/font]
    accordance with the requirements of Regulation 22 - a sticker of minimum surface area 18cm2 must be visible from the front, rear, left and right and within each sticker it must be possible to mark either a circle of 40mm diameter or, a rectangle at least 12.5cm2 in surface area and at least 20mm in width. [/font]
  •   [/font]Helmets worn in the UK have to comply either with BS6658 or with [/font][color=rgb(0.000000%, 0.000000%, 100.000000%)]UNECE Regulation 22[/font][/color]. [/font]If you’ve got a ‘[/font]Regulation 22[/font]’ helmet it [/font]may be supplied with suitable stickers for you to apply. [/font]
  •   [/font]From 20 November 2016, the driver and passengers of mopeds, motorcycles, motor tricycles and motor quadricycles must wear a pair of CE-certified gloves while riding. This applies all year round, whatever the weather and you could [/font]be fined for not doing so. [This doesn’t apply to [/font]vehicles fitted with seatbelts and doors i.e. city cars classed as heavy quadricycl [/font]

Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

i have read threads that say the AA advice is wrong and MAG are following up with them in respect of stickers. One question about the sticker on the front, where does it go? On my flip helmet, it can't go on the chin was that has the release and the air vent, so does it go above the visor, which would cover the Shoei label. Also what do you do if you have an open face helmet - stick it on your chin?  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Comment: [/font]World Motorcycle Rider Graham Saunders and Owner of Toursareus World Motorcycle Tours has said, to be clear Just put these stickers on your helmet then you will comply with the french road traffic laws and not get prosecuted (Fined) by the police authorities and it will save you a lot of hassle and money, this also goe’s for the Fluorescent Vest Just ware it while in France…[/size]

[/size]
On my System 6 due to the front vent, I cut the front one in half so it sits both sides .  As they are black on a black helmet they can't be seen in daylight so I don't get stressed over them. [/size]
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

And from another motorcycle touring company:

* Reflective Stickers on Helmets…not required. This is NOT a new law, the latest “Order” dates from 4 April 1995 and “applies to all helmets sold in France from 15 May 1995″. Originally this requirement dates back to the Geneva Convention 1958, Regulation 22 which the UK chose not to be bound by – which is why it does not apply there. The 1995 “Order” goes on to say that “However, helmets which otherwise conform to technical specifications of other EU Member States from the point of view of technical performance, protection of users and a date stamp can be accepted” – so even for French residents (like us) who bought their helmets in an other EU state, it would seem we do not need them either. Although some motoring organisations websites and forums in the UK are stating that the stickers are necessary this seems to have arisen from a report on the FFMC (Federation Francaise des Motards en Colere) website (the clue is in the name – this is a FRENCH organisation!)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

All very good, but where & when are we going to meet.