Bike Warranties

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Bike Warranties

Post by leonjennings »

I have been looking at motorbike warranties. I know they are all insurance policies really but some are seem better than others. The BMW is underwritten by Mondial and it specifically excludes many so called War and Tear items. Hum! don't like the sound of that.

Warranty Direct specifically include wear and tear but up to 100k miles or 6 years.

what does everyone think?

2012 SE
guest2360

Re: Bike Warranties

Post by guest2360 »

Up to what it costs and where the bike ends up when or if any claim is made.  With BMW all work needed and all,parts will be in house .  What do Warranty Direct exclude as not wear and tear.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

RTman10 wrote: Up to what it costs and where the bike ends up when or if any claim is made.  With BMW all work needed and all,parts will be in house .  What do Warranty Direct exclude as not wear and tear.

they DO cover for wear and tear, thats the point, but BMW (Modial) do NOT
2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's difficult to see from their site what they consider wear and tear.  They apparently have a list.  Reviews on them is not totally good but I only saw it for cars.  They do say they recommend the use of independents for repairs but you have the choice.  That to me sounds like a bit of sales hype.
BMW extended warranty including emergency assistance Europe wide costs a bit over £300pa  and covers all major mechanical and electrical components. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Having had the ESA assembly on my GS (apparently ~£1600 excluding labour) replaced by BMW under extended warranty I'm a fan. Like has been said above, it's basically an insurance policy - each of us has to decide on where their comfortable balance is with this sort of thing.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

There seems to be some confusion and probably my fault.The extended warranty is by far the better deal. HOWEVER; the BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty is the subject of this thread. A different kettle of fish.
2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

No understand.  There is only one extended warranty available from BMW that I have ever heard of and that is administered by Mondial.  I think their one of the same thing. My Extended Warranty Book.
Attachments
WP_20161206_19_41_56_Pro.jpg
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

BM have warranty on a new bike which lasts for 3 years and then extended or insured warranty (one and the same ) if you pay either monthly or annually there after. You can take it out on a BM even if the original warranty has finished. I have done same but you have to wait a month during which you pay but cannot make a claim. (It is called a lapsed warranty policy you pay a lttle more for the first year but it then goes into extended/insured warranty cost ) ESA is only covered up until 30000 miles, but what exactly is ESA in that context the Motors, the electrics, the damper or all the lot ? For me the ownership of any BM compared to a Japanese bike is a risk to the old wallet and I for one would not own same without the warranty they are simply not reliable enough. My RT TC if it is as good as it says on the tin will be retained until key components like ESA cannot be covered by the warranty.
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The full warranty on a bike is 2 years not 3.  ESA is your electronic suspension ie shocks and related electronics to make it function.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

WRT Suspension & ESA, there may be two parts to it, mechanical & electrical items.

From the Insured Warranty Policy Handbook, https://www.motorrad-warranty.co.uk/Pro ... e=T7ELN2SA

Suspension
Failure of the following parts: Front and rear shock absorber units (up to 30,000 miles only).

Electrical system
Failure of the following parts: electronic suspension adjustment motors.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

When the ESA failed on my GS it was the motor that adjusts the preload. According to the dealer the whole thing comes as a unit but I guess the shock itself can be swapped out as a separate item.

Regarding warranties and whether you do or don't, it's like breakdown insurance. Most of us will be lucky enough not to need it use but at the same time we consider it a cost of motoring to have there 'just in case'. For me the extended warranty is just part of the annual maintenance cost for the bike.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

RTman10 wrote: No understand.  There is only one extended warranty available from BMW that I have ever heard of and that is administered by Mondial.  I think their one of the same thing. My Extended Warranty Book.

thank You RtMan......my bad.

Lots of interesting points guys...Thank you
2012 SE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Paggers wrote:For me the extended warranty is just part of the annual maintenance cost for the bike.
I came to the same conclusion, it's a price I'm prepared to pay.

Having said that, I only take out a monthly policy for the period of the year I use the RT.
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

RTMan, I stand corrected on the BM new bike warranty period. My RT TC 2013 was purchased a few weeks ago from a BM dealer, it is a premium bike and comes with 2 years warranty (Same as extended warranty) with full Europe recovery. I tried to check previously the lenght of warranty of a new bike off the web and failed but surprised it is the same as my bike. My Kawasaki Versys 1000 came with a 4 year warranty, it has just run out and was never put to the test as the bike has been impecable,  my Suzuki Burgman 650 had a 2 year warranty. For the price of a new BM I thought the cover would be 3 years.
Jacksnipe
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your bike has what is known as a AUB (Authorised Used Bike Warranty).  This was until earlier this your for 12 months and on bikes up to 40K.  BMW insist on it for used bikes sold through their dealerships.  Now extended to 2 years and 80K.  Not sure on the small,print in it but probably the same as Extended warranty.