BMW 49 litre Top Box Case for sale

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
jon.mendez.71

Re: BMW 49 litre Top Box Case for sale

Post by jon.mendez.71 »

Almost,all the locks now supplied on a new bike can't be recoded as the leaves don't come out. Simple fix is to buy a new lock barrel with leaves and do it yourself if you can get the old lock out. About £10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

So the factory locks are identical in construction to the kit (number on one of the photos),but the factory one have s brass pin that prevents the leaves falling out. It's a bugger to get the stainless cover off, on one photo there is a small hole which is revealed behind the plastic shutters.

I remove the front and pull th pin out and re pin afterwards. No pin means the leaves can fall out in the workshop.

It's quite a simple matter of re-keying to fit the leaves to new lock and loads on YouTube.

I have a spare set of panniers and forgot to remove barrel before I sold the bike, but again, there is a chap on YouTube who removed an unlocked barrel with a paper clip, I use a modified hacksaw blade.

I'm just making a new 20mm die to get the stainless cover crimped into place, and a wooden former to reshape if the stainless steel is misshapen on removal (all from old bits and bobs I have in the garage).

http://www.bmw-motorrad-store.co.uk/bmw ... liter.html

Attachments
IMG_2923.JPG
Last edited by guest3075 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alcfire
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Great Britain

Post by Alcfire »

Thanks for the link "ItsOnlyMe" have now ordered the new barrel, should be with me by mid-week, roughly the same time as the top box.
Thanks everyone for all the info
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

You might not need a new one.  As I said, it's possible you MIGHT be able to resort the fins to match your key.

Alcfire
Great Britain

Post by Alcfire »

Yes I understand that but it's always nice to have a spare barrel and find, also I have to remove the old barrel first so can use the new one to get some dimensions for making a tool to remove the old one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alcfire
Great Britain

Post by Alcfire »

Should read "fins" predictive text for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk