Replacement Rear Disk & Pads.

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Reaper999

Replacement Rear Disk & Pads.

Post by Reaper999 »

If anyone is interested, I've recently replaced the rear disk and pads on my 2007 1200RT.

The Disk is made by a company called Viper and was supplied by JJC Race & Rally. The Disk was only £44.65 including the delivery and I matched this with a set of sintered Goldfren Pads supplied by M&P which cost around £14 with delivery.

ImageReplacement Rear Disk & Pads.

All fitted the job takes just under an hour and at less than £60 all in it's a significant saving over BMW prices.

It's the first time I've used a Viper break disk so if anyone is interested I'll happily update on how it's wearing as time goes on ?
I've used Goldfen sintered pads on several bikes over the years and have always been pretty pleased with their performance and wear given their usually low price.
guest2360

Re: Replacement Rear Disk & Pads.

Post by guest2360 »

Just a small point.  Did you use new securing bolts.  BMW state they are one time use only.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Are these 'Wavy' style discs?

If so does it make any difference to braking? It always seems contrary to logic as there is less disc surface.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Maybe that's  why its only £44.  Not much metal used. The RT is hard on the  rear brake so it will be interesting to see if it lasts any length of time.  Price is definitely right though.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

RTman10 wrote: Just a small point.  Did you use new securing bolts.  BMW state they are one time use only.
No I re-used the bolts that where there as they had recently been changed by BMW when the recall on the rear hub was done.
They are supposed to have a small amount of thread lock on and this why it's recomended that you gently heat each one prior to undoing them to try and release the thread lock but these seemed to have none on them for some reason ?
So I just cleaned them up with some wire wool, put a dab of medium thread lock on each then fitted using the two stage torque method as recomended.

As for the "Wavy Style", Yes they are indeed but if you look at the actual friction material, not the pad itself, theres actually very little in it so to speak interms of lost contact.
I've had the Wavy Disks on a few bikes, granted I've never used the Viper disk before but as a design, yes it's a bit of gimmick and visually it adds something a little different but I've never noticed any negative effect in the braking. In fact you always tend to have a better feel through the lever as your running on a fresh faced disk rather than something that has thinned and become scored or slightly distorted.
I replaced mine as it was measured at 4.35mm and the minimum recomended by BMW is 4.5mm. Mine had also become quite scored so there was a noticeable improvement once changed.
At point of change it was on the original disk with the bike having covered just over 38k which isnt too bad.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

RTman10 wrote: Maybe that's  why its only £44.  Not much metal used. The RT is hard on the  rear brake so it will be interesting to see if it lasts any length of time.  Price is definitely right though.
Very true, as I say I really can't say with any certainty about longevity as I've never used Viper Disks before but I have a few long journeys planned next year, the first being our trip to Practice Week for the Isle of Man TT next year so I’m happy to report back as time goes on if people are interested?
I have used JJC Race & Rally for various parts for different cars and bikes for quite a few years now and have to date never had an issue with anything they've supplied so I'm quietly confident I won't have any problem here.