It's here!

BMW R1200RT/R1250RT Photo's & Videos that you may find interesting to the community
guest2360

Re: It's here!

Post by guest2360 »

The case I came across was a Givi box on a GS.  Owner complained of feeling unstable at 80+ along with vibration.  BMW UK tech expert solved all his problems by removing the box.  Obviously not a problem you hsve encountered.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I like the white bike,  if I was for trading my 14 plate White is what I would go for
As i have a white lid no doubt I would be accused of been a wannabe bike cop,  my point is I don't think the white bike resembles a police bike... Unless you cover it in reflective stickers
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

Just make sure you do not get a "Polite" vest to go with it.

To do that would make you fair game.
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

True
exportman
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2023
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 40 times
Great Britain

Post by exportman »

Hi  Congratulations on the new bike.

Couple of things picking up on your comments.
First the top box    I found that the top box can cause a slight weave even when empty  think it must be the slip stream.  The demo bike had the BM box  and the Givi box I have both did it  but I was cracking on a bit.    I don't have a box on generally as the panniers carry everything I need for work and Observing.

I too commute every day which is why I invested in the city lids.  Yes the standard lids are no wider than the bike  but in tight situations the rear takes a shorter track than the front  I wanted the extra few cms.  ( The other morning there as a smash on the M56 near Manchester Airport  I filtered for literally 10 miles on the way to work.  The just fit on with the hinges  so you can put the standard lids on if you want.

I have some Chevron reflective on the back of the bike  just standard red and yellow on the panniers.  Non of the observers in my IAM group have gone over the top  but a couple of members are I feel pushing it a bit.

I do wear a high viz waterproof jacket during the winter  just because it make me more visible in the gloom and grime and its 100% wind & waterproof.   

My bike is Black though.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks for the feedback.

I have experienced the weave, many years ago on an ER-5 with a 45L top-box on. Given that I was a new rider, and had never experienced the front going light before, it was fairly alarming and hence memorable. I can honestly say that my GS, even with the 52L box on, has never been anything other than completely planted - even up in the 80 mph range (which I may have achieved once or twice accidentally). But I'll keep an eye on it with the RT. Unfortunately my work bag will not fit into the side panniers.

Regarding the hi-viz, I wear Rukka gear but it's coming up on 9 years and because I ride a lot, in all weather, the DWR tends not to last long. I have redone it a few times with Nikwax but I decided a few years ago that by wearing a hi-viz over the top I could kill two birds with one stone - add an additional waterproof layer over the Rukka gear so I don't have to worry as much about the outer lay clogging, and increase my visibility. It's not a decision I have regretted and in the summer, when I don't have to worry much about either heavy rain or visibility, I tend to drop back to the Rukka on its own.

I could just leave the side boxes off but as I said earlier, my biggest fear is being hit from behind so I quite like the idea of adding the chevrons onto the panniers. I will be filtering with care for a while but I'm used to filtering on a GS - often with the standard boxes on - and in truth the RT isn't that much wider. I'm fairly risk averse anyway so if I'm not confident I can make it through a gap I just hang back - I'm a big believer of getting to my destination and so far it has worked out.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

I've got the 52 litre Giving top box - never had any movement. For visability - applied 15mm red reflective scotch tape vertically to pannier rear seams which glows in headlights.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Paggers wrote: I didn't know the engine was going to be black and I agree, it looks amazing.
:enjoying:
Complete co-incidence of course but I went out today and bought a yellow flourescent bomber jacket to go over my Rukka jacket (my existing one was red and getting a bit ratty). On my first ride with it I couldn't believe how many people were slamming on the brakes, getting out of the way, or driving ridiculously slowly as soon as I came up behind them!

As I use the bike for commuting, and am a little bit worried about rear visibility on the motorway, I am planning to get orange and yellow flourescent stripes fitted to the back of the boxes (just need to find someone local who can do it for me). Again, nothing to do with making the bike look more like a police one, just for safety purposes.
:pee:

Why not go the whole nine yards and get a Polite vest and a white helmet with a black check stripe round it?
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

richardbd wrote: Why not go the whole nine yards and get a Polite vest and a white helmet with a black check stripe round it?
Because I would look like an idiot?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Paggers wrote:I didn't know the engine was going to be black.
Are the swinging arm & final drive unit black, both these photos are from the BMW Motorrad site, http://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/uk/en/index.html

Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

Black engine and swing arm on mine, silver frame.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

ItsOnlyMe wrote:Black engine and swing arm on mine, silver frame.
Strange, the one in the top photo also has a black frame.

From the 2016 Model Brochure:-

"Note: For 2016, all BMW R 1200 RT models will come with Drivetrain and Chassis in Black."
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Press shots are made up as they go along.  An air brush is very handy.
richardbd
Been liked: 2 times

Post by richardbd »

Paggers wrote: Because I would look like an idiot?

Good point!
;)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

In white, it's a very nice looking bike, although I think I prefer the silver engine, drivetrain & chassis.
DaygloDavid wrote:Thanks to RTman10, the mystery has been solved.

"If you haven't seen one yet. Note the frame and cylinder heads stay silver."

New paint finish.

Old paint finish.
Last edited by David. on Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.