Misfire on acceleration

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
gogs01

Misfire on acceleration

Post by gogs01 »

I'm currently running in my new R1200RT LE.  Now half way to the running in check.
I've had an issue with the engine cutting out momentarily while accelerating. The circumstances seem to be changing up from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd conventionally (as opposed to using the quick shifter).  If I snap the throttle open as soon as I've changed up, the engine dies before firing up again and continuing as normal.
I mentioned this to the tech at the BMW dealership and he said to monitor it and he would investigate at the running in check if it persisted (which it has). 
I have the idea it's a fault with the quickshifter (calibration maybe ?)  I did a couple of hundred miles on the 2016 demonstrator which also had the quickshifter and didn't experience anything like this - anybody come across anything similar ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest2360

Re: Misfire on acceleration

Post by guest2360 »

Does snap mean a big handful as quick as you can.  Could be the ASC is momentarily activating.
Using the Pro shift 1st to 2nd is a no no but as you haven't used it when you get the problem I don't see how that can be the cause.  I have never come across any type of misfire or cut out on an LC
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I find my RT's run much nicer on super unleaded, and whilst they run OK on normal, they just seem to be sweeter with th extra octane.
tony23

Post by tony23 »

What engine mode are you in?
As RTman says the asc will cut in a lot earlier if you are in rain or road, less so in dynamic.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the calibration of the quickshift as that does cut the fuel momentarily whilst changing gear to achieve a smooth change.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something to do with the calibration of the quickshift as that does cut the fuel momentarily whilst changing gear to achieve a smooth change.

He wasn't using it.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

I realise that he wasn't using it but if there is something out of alignment then it may be possible that it is not functioning correctly. It is controlled by a microswitch which is visible on the gearchange mechanism so there is an element of mechanics in the system. After all there is clearly something wrong.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Bet it's right hand miss function. If you lift the clutch Pro shift is disabled.
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

I wasn't using the gear shift pro when the issue presented itself, but I got the idea that the system had become "confused" and was cutting the power when it shouldn't, hence my wondering if the fault lay with the quickshifter system.

It happened in Road and Dynamic and maybe it would have happened in Rain too but maybe I didn't ever give it the same handful during the short period I ran in Rain mode.  My 2010 TC once had the ASC cut in (only once that I'm aware of !) and that felt different - more of a stutter than the feeling that someone switched off the ignition for a half second before the power chimed in again.

I hope there is a solution forthcoming from Motorrad - it will be into the new year before I can get the miles up and get the bike booked in for the running in check (including oil & filter change !).
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE