Rain? Road? Dynamic? ... Or mix it a bit?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Rain? Road? Dynamic? ... Or mix it a bit?

Post by Casbar »

DaygloDavid wrote: Just like it was before all these gadgets came along.

In the wet, I can only once in 40 years & many miles recall the rear wheel spinning up on my VFR 800.

I've got a mate who rides a GS and never takes it out of rain mode. Guess its like all tech, its there if you want it. Seen many views about ABS, that a skilled rider can stop in a shorter distance without ABS. But in that OH Shit moment, think I would rather have ABS  8)
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

I'd agree about ABS, did an i2i MC1 event which included advanced braking, even with ABS, I still managed a front end stoppie on a 2007 RT.
guest2368

Post by guest2368 »

Casbar wrote:
I've got a mate who rides a GS and never takes it out of rain mode. Guess its like all tech, its there if you want it. Seen many views about ABS, that a skilled rider can stop in a shorter distance without ABS. But in that OH Shit moment, think I would rather have ABS  8)
I agree with the ABS, I'd rather have it than not.  I have seen the thing about shorter braking distances without ABS and, IMHO, it is a pointless comparison.  I may be wrong, so feel free to chip in, isn't the point of ABS about keeping the bike maneuverable and you off the ground under extreme braking rather than making the braking distance shorter?  Plus ABS releases the brakes to stop a skid/slide, consequently under those conditions braking distance must be longer...
TJRL
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 2 times
United States of America

Post by TJRL »

Casbar wrote: Dynamic all the time, but I am a numpty 8)
+1 on both counts ^-^
2020 R1250RT, 2021 Triton ST-125, 1960 SII Land Rover.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

I haven't ridden my R1200RT yet but when I had my K16 I used RAIN all the time.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

DBLXX wrote: I haven't ridden my R1200RT yet but when I had my K16 I used RAIN all the time.

Why did you only go out in wet weather  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Rain mode is essential on the 1600 to stop the transmission clunking itself to death.  It was my main reason for swapping back to the silky smooth RT.😂
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Rain mode is essential on the 1600 to stop the transmission clunking itself to death.  It was my main reason for swapping back to the silky smooth RT.😂

Is that still the same on the new bikes or was that older ones? The one I test rode earlier in the year didn't clunk.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

You didn't try try it for long enough.  I'm told they haven't changed much over the years.  It's now 6 years into production with very few changes so something will happen soon.  The RT nearly killed all sales in 2014. And they are heavy Bas...ds.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: You didn't try try it for long enough.  I'm told they haven't changed much over the years.  It's now 6 years into production with very few changes so something will happen soon.  The RT nearly killed all sales in 2014. And they are heavy Bas...ds.

Glad I went for the RT then  8)
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

RTman10 wrote: Rain mode is essential on the 1600 to stop the transmission clunking itself to death.  It was my main reason for swapping back to the silky smooth RT.😂

Yep - the tranny thrash was less noticeable when in rain mode.  The bike was a raped ape....but heavy as hell.

Rain mode was all I needed.  The whole bike was to "touchy" in Dynamic albeit a WHIPPED BEAST.
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Casbar wrote:
Is that still the same on the new bikes or was that older ones? The one I test rode earlier in the year didn't clunk.

I owned a 2015 for 12,000 miles.

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Nice colour  8)
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Casbar wrote: Nice colour  8)

Thanks Casbar - I have had a ton of bikes in my life.  About 32 of them....some here in my album.

http://s39.photobucket.com/user/dblxx/library/
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Brave lad.  No crash bars.