Clearwater Darla LED driving lights

Looking for Aftermarket parts and Accessories for your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT or found something useful you want to share? Or just a general question?
buck181

Clearwater Darla LED driving lights

Post by buck181 »

Recently added the Darla LED driving lights and had a problem with the wonder wheel dimming mode. Called the company, and was directed to sit on the machine and operate the wonder wheel with the thumb as if driving. Tilting the wheel in any other position resulted in programming mode - but no adjustment. That is sensitive !!
Great adjustability, Great lights, and great company service. Thumbs Up
stayingupright

Re: Clearwater Darla LED driving lights

Post by stayingupright »

First post on here is to promote your/their product ... Smart call.

I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Wish people would fill in their country, so at least we know where they are!
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

I also fitted Clearwater Darla lights.  Unfortunately the UK agent is apparently no longer able to supply them, so I had to order directly from the manufacturer in the USA.  This occurred at theme the dollar strengthened against sterling and that, plus import duty, made the lights rather more expensive than the BMW equivalent.  Fitting as I have said previously on this forum was relatively straightforward.

However, the quality the lights and effect, both night and day is truly impressive and overall the cost is i think justified.
jvfowlerjr

Post by jvfowlerjr »

I put on a pair of Darla and Erica's. If you ever want to light up the night it is the way to do it. Dimer works great they really put together some light for us.
Attachments
This one.jpg
2016 R1200RTW, 2012 K1600GTL, 2001 K1200LTI
Taz

Post by Taz »

mhr43 - did you have any problems mounting the Darla lights? How easily did they link into the canbus? I have just joined this forum in the hope of getting some answers on this very question and, hey, within 5 minutes it looks like I have.

Thanks.
So when is this “old enough to know better” supposed to kick in?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Unfortunately the UK agent is apparently no longer able to supply them
Wonder if there is a legal problem with them in UK
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: Wonder if there is a legal problem with them in UK
No difference to any other supplementary lights available from other sources, more likely due to the cost they don't sell much here in the UK so it'll not be worth it for them to hold stock.

Having had them I can vouch for how good they are  :)
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Taz wrote: mhr43 - did you have any problems mounting the Darla lights? How easily did they link into the canbus? I have just joined this forum in the hope of getting some answers on this very question and, hey, within 5 minutes it looks like I have.

Thanks.

Hi Taz.  I didn't have any problems with the fitting. In fact it went more smoothly than I expected. The instructions were good, but do spend time studying before you cut any wires! The most fiddly bit was fitting and securing  the relay and all the connecting wires at the top of the forks. I found the best place was directly under the right hand speaker panel. The 'can-opener" plugs into the Canbus  under the pillion seat very easily. As with all these things, preparation is the key. The lights are superb. 
Taz

Post by Taz »

I ordered a set of the Clearwater Darla lights and they were quickly dispatched - however.....  I've just had DHL on the 'phone saying that until I pay £107 !!!! in VAT and duty they cannot release the lights to me.  A conversation with HMRC reveals that those greedy people in Government can indeed demand duty and VAT on any goods that you personally import from outside the EU. I wonder what will happen when Brexit kicks in - will everything be subject to VAT and duty?

So buy these lights with caution and a full wallet.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Taz wrote: I ordered a set of the Clearwater Darla lights and they were quickly dispatched - however.....  I've just had DHL on the 'phone saying that until I pay £107 !!!! in VAT and duty they cannot release the lights to me.  A conversation with HMRC reveals that those greedy people in Government can indeed demand duty and VAT on any goods that you personally import from outside the EU. I wonder what will happen when Brexit kicks in - will everything be subject to VAT and duty?

This shouldn't be a surprise, have ordered many things from the States over the years and this is always the case. You can check on the HRMC website for duty costs as these change, but the good old VAT is always the same. The calculations are done on the total cost including any insurance paid.
nh_handyman
United States of America

Post by nh_handyman »

I figured it was  tax of some sort... but I had to go look it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_ ... _added_tax
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Taz wrote: I ordered a set of the Clearwater Darla lights and they were quickly dispatched - however.....  I've just had DHL on the 'phone saying that until I pay £107 !!!! in VAT and duty they cannot release the lights to me.  A conversation with HMRC reveals that those greedy people in Government can indeed demand duty and VAT on any goods that you personally import from outside the EU. I wonder what will happen when Brexit kicks in - will everything be subject to VAT and duty?

Duty on mine was £67.35. I justified the  final cost on the basis that fitting the lights myself meant that the cost to me was no more than the BMW lights fitted by a dealer. Probably not an entirely rational justification, but I learned a lot doing the fitting and the end result is superb.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

There is a set plus can opener for sale on UKGSER £400 - [size=13px]SELLING A COMPLETE SET UP FOR 2014 ONWARDS WC RT INCLUDING THE FACTORY BMW LIGHT BRACKETS - For those who can't view that forum - [/size][size=13px]for more info 07917701968. This is just for info, nothing to do with me :)[/size]
Taz

Post by Taz »

Thanks mhr43, like you, I fitted the relay under the right hand speaker cover.  I also soldered all of the wire connections rather than use the supplied connectors.  Finally, I bought some silicon black tape from a local electrical supply shop and wrapped it round the wires to keep it tidy and water proof.

Locals are complaining that my lights are even brighter than the new LED street lights (which caused a debate in the local council !!).

One problem I found was that once I connected everything back together the service indicator came on.  Having just checked the RT forum elsewhere, it may be due to the battery being disconnected and the date resetting on the clock, so I'm gong to the garage now to see if that fixes the problem.