A little late, but just want to say hi to you guys >

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Dave

A little late, but just want to say hi to you guys >

Post by Dave »

For the past year or so I have been looking at motorcycles and have ridden a bunch, including Triumph, Yamaha, Suzuki, and BMW. I had settled on an R1200RT until we test road between two 18 wheelers on a very windy day. So, I've decided to get a K1600GT. The wife was a bit nervous, and I admit I pushed the envelope  a bit by riding in the tumultuous air. I'm moving out of state, and will make the purchase in our native state, Alabama. Taxes are much lower than Georgia, where we now live, plus they have a service contract which will actually save me some money. In case you are wondering.... I'm an Alabama fan, and have been since I was 6 years old and saw Joe Namath and the Tide beat Tennessee 35-0.

Well, I'd like to share a few things. First, I've ridden motorcycles for 44 years, but have never had a touring bike. Prior to this purchase the biggest bike I've owned was a Honda Nighthawk 750. For the past 20 years I've only owned one bike, a Yamaha WR250R.... and it was really a bike for my boys to ride. So, when I started my search for a new bike I was interested in the Honda CB1100. Cheap, not hunched over like so many bikes, and a decent bike. To justify my purchase I told the wife that I wanted something for her to ride on the back, to take trips.... you know, a few hours. Well, the search evolved. The bar kept getting higher and higher.

From the Triumph Explorer(vibrations), to the GS(ugly panniers-to the wife), the Yamaha FJR1300(vibrations), Kawasaki Concours (no cruise control), Super Tenere (too tall for the wife- so she says). Probably just too ugly for her. So, between my vibration sensitive hands due to diabetic neuropathy, and my wife's eye for nice looking bikes, it all came down to two BMW's. The RT and the GT. Taking a chance, we're going with the GT. Hopefully it will be the right choice.

BMW is the only brand I would buy. The excitement, the comfort, the overally quality, and the overall experience of being a BMW owner is something to which I look forward. I do appreciate the replies you guys gave on my previous post. That website just seemed a bit funky to me. Thing is... there is nothing on the web that hints of it being a scam site. But... they seem shady. The old saying... "If something seems too good to be true, it probably is". That being said, I sought your advice and you were kind enough to help. Thanks. We will be new owners before Christmas. Woohoooo!

T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: A little late, but just want to say hi to you guys >

Post by T6pilot »

There is a K1600 forum
You will find it very helpful, watch your pocket book!
Jim
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

T6pilot wrote: There is a K1600 forum
You will find it very helpful, watch your pocket book!
Perhaps he's trying to convert us all  :silence:
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Benchmark wrote: Perhaps he's trying to convert us all  :silence:

Maybe he is being ironic  8)  Or maybe he doesn't know the difference and just think its a BMW owners forum.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

20 years on a 250 then a 1600GT.  Nice progression. 
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Sounds a prospective candidate for the GT to R-T club  ???
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Sounds a prospective candidate for the GT to R-T club  ???

Give him a couple of weeks pushing it out the garage.
wethead

Post by wethead »

If packing a woman is your thrill, then a K16 is best, or a GL, or a car...depending on how fat she is: a train, a ship, a large transport aircraft
If it takes you all day to do something you used to do all day, you are getting old.