Datatag registration on new bike

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Re: Datatag registration on new bike

Post by Paggers »

I believe that's correct (based on what is on the Datatag website). Each kit is single use and the dealer is responsible for destroying any 'spare' bits once they have finished. I guess it's down to each dealer how much work they put in before they decide that they are 'finished'.

I spoke to Datatag yesterday and discovered that while my bike had been registered they had the dealer's email address rather than mine. I then spoke to someone in head office to order some visible stickers to put on the bike as a deterrent, which they agreed to send to me free of charge. He didn't seem terribly happy about the way the dealer had handled the registration.

I don't have a UV light so have no easy way of checking to what degree they applied the etchings to my bike. But I'm also assuming that any bike thief is also not going to be crawling over my bike with a UV light - at least not if I park it sensibly. (I would hazard a guess that wandering around with a UV light without a really good excuse would qualify as "going equipped".) I plan to install the 'dome sticker' on the tank as a clearly visible deterrent. After that, if someone steals the bike, I expect whether or not they subsequently get caught to only be of academic interest while I am dealing with the rather more pressing issues of insurance and the loss of my daily ride.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

I carry a UV light to check bank notes am I going equipped? 
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

If the notes are still in the bank vault then.. Yes
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

Yes I don't trust banks either
Rossyuk39
Bike Model and Year: RT 2015
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by Rossyuk39 »

Yes, all in order, you can purchase extra "etchings", just supply ID to the DataTag office and they will send 8 out  :enjoying:
Keep on the grey bits .....Rossy