Much tears...

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Much tears...

Post by Casbar »

Paggers shit happens. Don't beat yourself up over it, learn and move on. As I said you weren't injured, the rest can be repaired  8)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: Depending on where the pannier scuff is you could do the same with that. The new rubber protection kit is a permanent attachment and will protect both of them for a whole lot less than a lid. Once applied the mark will never be seen again.
Pannier protectors? Not come across those to date. Anyone have a link to them?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

They are OEM kit but I have not seen any pics of the new type.  Your dealer will have full details.  Old type just protected the bottom but the new ones are designed to save the painted tops at the front.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I feel your pain. Shit happens. I really don't think it shows any lack of skill on your part, you just got caught out because you were not familiar with your new ride. My advice is buy the new parts to repair regardless of cost so she looks like new again and forget it ever happened. And remember everybody drops a bike at sometime.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Extract from the BMW Accessories list for the RT
•  Familiar from and tried and tested on the K 1600 GT and K 1600 GTL (K48)[/font][/size]•  2 strong plastic moulded impact protectors for each side[/size]•  Effectively protect the cases at the side and the side front against surface damage:[/size]-  The section of the top rubbing strip is the widest part of the case (instead of the painted surface of the case).[/size]-  TPU, the plastic used, is resilient and springy, but it is not as soft as rubber.[/size]-  This effectively protects the paint finish from damage (for example by scuffing when the motorcycle is manoeuvred in a tight space).[/size]
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Like these ?
Attachments
image.jpeg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Like these ?

That's them.  I had the previous design on my 09 and only used them once escaping from a hotel garage.  Not the easiest things to put on due to the curves.  Got the dealer to fit them.
On my present one I have the £9.99 Halfords alternative.  Looks like the price has increased to £14.99. 
Attachments
IMG_0289.PNG
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Levisp wrote: I feel your pain. Shit happens. I really don't think it shows any lack of skill on your part, you just got caught out because you were not familiar with your new ride. My advice is buy the new parts to repair regardless of cost so she looks like new again and forget it ever happened. And remember everybody drops a bike at sometime.
+1. Well done for sharing. Hard lesson. Been there myself. Keep smiling.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I have decided to bite the bullet and get the valve cover replaced - it will be an expensive reminder, but I would rather that than being constantly reminded by knowing that the bike is damaged (even if only cosmetically). I will also ask the dealer to order and fit the impact protection to the cases, along with the valve cover protectors which should hopefully be fitted this week. Finally, I have ordered the paint protection kit from Nippy Norman's. Hopefully the minor scratches will polish out and then I can fit the plastic over the top.

I guess I have been very lucky in that I have never had a crash since passing my test in 2004 and only minor spills - all of which were laughably stupid.
  • 2004 - Kawasaki ER-5: turning into my drive I didn't realise I had placed the bike in neutral and when I tried to apply throttle nothing happened and the bike fell on its side. No significant damage.
  • 2008 - BMW F800 ST: pulling up to a stop at a roundabout, I was wearing regular boots and the lace caught on the gear selector. I couldn't put my foot down so the bike slowly tilted to that side and fell over (fortunately the lace came loose as it was going over). Bike was fitted with 'sliders' so no damage.
  • 2010 - BMW R1200 GS: stopped at a garage for a quick snack. Distracted and forgot to put the side stand down before leaning the bike over - fitted with head protectors so no damage.
  • 2013 - Kawasaki Versys 650: riding up the outside of a lane of stationary traffic. Cyclist came out from between two vans and rode into the side of me, knocking me and the bike over. (Ludicrous at the time but with hindsight I'm glad he didn't ride out 5 seconds earlier.) Engine bars fitted so no damage.
You will notice a bit of a theme here. I have always had protection fitted to my bikes, which makes it all the more frustrating that the dealer wasn't able to fit the head protectors that I ordered when I picked up the RT. I always bank on something like this happening at some point and this is the first time it has resulted in damage to the bike.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Hope you punched the cyclist
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Maz12 wrote: Hope you punched the cyclist
:be happy:
Tempting, but no. It was an easy enough mistake for him to make, he was coming through the stationary traffic looking to his left for traffic coming the other way. It never occurred to him to look to his right for traffic coming up the outside of the stationary traffic. Not smart, but then I have seen plenty of pedestrians do exactly the same thing.

I did a BikeSafe course in 2010 with Cheshire Police. It probably comes as no surprise that questions were asked about the legality of 'filtering' / 'lane splitting'. To summarise the response, what we were told was that while it is legal it is high risk and must be done safely. If there is an accident the onus is likely to fall on the rider to demonstrate that they were riding in a safe manner. So from that perspective I wasn't really worrying about who was in the right or wrong - no-one was injured, no damage was done, and he was suitably (almost abjectly) apologetic.

Changing topic back to the bike - got the PF1 polish out today and I'm pleased to say that all the scratches have come out nicely. Now I just need to make sure I don't collect any new ones before I can fit the paint protection film.
Reaper999

Post by Reaper999 »

I have to say Paggers, after todays ride, I now feel your pain.

It's been well over 10yrs since I last dropped a bike but today seems to have been my day.

I was an hour or so into the ride this afternoon, enjoying it and everything was going fine until I reached one particular junction on an A road in Surrey when I wiped out.
All it seems to have been was a load of wet leaves thrown up by the lorry a few vehicles in front causing my ABS to kick in and the front end slid under braking. Luckily I was pretty much at a standstill as it happened but increadibly embarrasing and got my foot caught under the bike as it went over.
Not one passing motorist stopped to help though  >:( Plenty thought it was a good idea to slow down and have a good look but that was it.
Managed to push the bike up enough to get my foot out and then get the bike upright again which wasn't easy as I've got a dodgy back at the minute.
Thankfully just a scuff to the plastic cylinder head guards and the same on the top box and mirror casing. Could have been worse but still not a good day.....
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

I too have impact tested BMW panniers- when walking past my K1200GT, caught trouser on side stand lug and watched in slow mo as bike toppled. Pannier scratched but got off light. So far ,touch wood, LC panniers have not been tested for strength!
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Reaper999 wrote: I have to say Paggers, after todays ride, I now feel your pain.

It's been well over 10yrs since I last dropped a bike but today seems to have been my day.

I was an hour or so into the ride this afternoon, enjoying it and everything was going fine until I reached one particular junction on an A road in Surrey when I wiped out.
All it seems to have been was a load of wet leaves thrown up by the lorry a few vehicles in front causing my ABS to kick in and the front end slid under braking. Luckily I was pretty much at a standstill as it happened but increadibly embarrasing and got my foot caught under the bike as it went over.
Not one passing motorist stopped to help though  >:( Plenty thought it was a good idea to slow down and have a good look but that was it.
Managed to push the bike up enough to get my foot out and then get the bike upright again which wasn't easy as I've got a dodgy back at the minute.
Thankfully just a scuff to the plastic cylinder head guards and the same on the top box and mirror casing. Could have been worse but still not a good day.....

Sorry to hear about your day; I bet that was a pretty alarming experience. I'm glad to hear that both you and the bike have come out of it okay.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I have tested the panniers when fitted to a 1600 Exclusive (exactly the same).  As that bike was 100 kg heavier than the LC I can confirm their strength, both sides.
It might not be a valid point but still a point to ponder.  As your top box got scuffed I assume you didn't have panniers on.  That allows the bike to roll backwards on the cylinder head. Could this have resulted in your foot getting stuck. 
Last edited by guest2360 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.