Sena 10R - handelbar remote needed?

Got any questions about the BMW's R1200RT/R1250RT's onboard audio, Bluetooth or the Electrical system?
mitcher16

Sena 10R - handelbar remote needed?

Post by mitcher16 »

Hi, I am new to the 'helmet communication' so have a few questions.
I will be purchasing the Nav V or the new Nav VI (when it comes out, not sure when) and from what I have read that unit controls phone calls, GPS, music. Essentially the GPS unit becomes the smart hub in a way.
From what I have seen the Sena remote on the handlebar allows you to change songs, volume and perhaps a few other things. With the multi-controller and the GPS unit controlling all of that stuff I wouldn't need to purchase the Sena remote, correct?
Hope this question made sense.
thx!
guest3075

Re: Sena 10R - handelbar remote needed?

Post by guest3075 »

I think you have the basics right, but you might be disappointed with the quality of Bluetooth for music via the GPS.

When I pair the iPhone direct to the BMW Helmet the sound is very good, but when via the GPS it's very poor.

Also, when I use the direct connection to the bike and then Bluetooth that way, the music isn't very good quality.

I'd suggest trying before you buy.

What helmet are you using?
mitcher16

Post by mitcher16 »

ItsOnlyMe wrote: I think you have the basics right, but you might be disappointed with the quality of Bluetooth for music via the GPS.
When I pair the iPhone direct to the BMW Helmet the sound is very good, but when via the GPS it's very poor.
Also, when I use the direct connection to the bike and then Bluetooth that way, the music isn't very good quality.
I'd suggest trying before you buy.
What helmet are you using?
thanks for the info. Something to think about.
Currently I have an older Shoei RF-1100 but hoping to pick up a deal on a Shoei GT-Air during some boxing day special. I was looking at the Sena 10U that integrates nicely with that helmet but I think the Sena remote that comes with it may be pointless if I can use the wonder wheel.
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

As I recall, the BMW wonderwheel only works with the BMW communications system.

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The wheel will work the BMW Nav V and its internal media centre so long as your bike is not fitted with an audio unit.  I connect my GPS with a Bluetooth dongle on an Autocom system and get very high quality music from the GPS.  If you have an audio unit no Bluetooth system except the BMW one will fully connect to it.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I am using the BMW Bluetooth to a Scala rider Q3 (fitted to a Shoei Neotec). I use custom in-ear monitors, and I went for the dual driver version (usually used by on-stage musicians). I find the music quality from the BMW audio system to be perfectly acceptable (I'm not expecting hi-fidelity while riding a motorcycle). Where I find the system falls down is with the Navigator V. While it is fine most of the time, the audio frequently becomes corrupted(sometimes to the extent that I can't understand what it says) and it regularly only comes through one ear. Having said that, I think it must be an issue between the Nav V and the Q3 as on my previous bike I used Bluetooth from the Nav V to the BT dongle on a Starcom intercom system with wires from there into the helmet (again using in-ear monitors) and I had no audio problems at all (including music from the media player on the Nav V). The other annoyance is that the Nav V interrupts the music but the Q3 seems to 'buffer' a fraction of a second of audio on the music channel. Because the audio system does not pause the music (no reason that it would know to do so I guess) the fraction of music that I get from the Q3 immediately after the audio prompt is entirely out of sync with what is coming from the audio system.

I have read a lot of criticism of the BMW audio Bluetooth but based on my experience to date I suspect much of it is down to the receiving device and the quality of the listening device being used. Whether you want to blame that on BMW's implementation of Bluetooth or not I guess is a personal view.

I suspect that if I end up regularly spending long periods of time on the bike I might find these so far minor annoyances starting to grate. In which case I will look at re-fitting my Starcom and wiring it into the audio system. I will then experiment with Bluetooth from the Starcom to my Q3 and, failing that, fall back on cables.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

As I have stated on many posts, I use a Scala Pactalk and the audio from the Nav V is spot on, very clear and the stereo music and phone is also fine. But not hi fi and as I don't have the BMW setup I don't know what I am missing  8)  My Scala G9 was also ok.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I reckon there is only two methods of fully using the audio system complete with a fitted Nav V.
The BMW answer is of course their own Bluetooth units.  Down side is expense and it doesn't mute any music.  On top of that the Nav and any connected phone will only pair with one helmet.

A wired system  connected to the audio unit with a Bluetooth dongle for the phone for auto answering.  This gives you full control over all the systems with both you and your passenger receiving everything including the Nav and phone.  You also get full volume control to both helmets with the wheel.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

If you use the wheel for volume control, is it the same volume for both helmets, or are there also volume controls on each helmet?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The same in both.  But as both me and the wife are equally deaf it doesn't matter.
mitcher16

Post by mitcher16 »

thanks all for your input.  Guess I will have to figure out my priorities and decide what I can live with or without when choosing what I should purchase and what is affordable.
Cheers.