Black engine. paint/corrosion problems?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
chappers2a
Bike Model and Year: 2016 RT LE
Been liked: 2 times
Great Britain

Black engine. paint/corrosion problems?

Post by chappers2a »

After having lots of problems paint bubbling on silver engine, driveshaft cover and rear differential,  I now have the opportunity to trade my RT back to the dealer ( Williams of Manchester,who have been brilliant by the way) and take a black engined model. What I need to know is has there been any similar problems with the black painted engine, gearbox etc.... Thanks in anticipation
Last edited by chappers2a on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappers2a
guest2360

Re: Black engine paint/corrosion problems?

Post by guest2360 »

On the 1600 the engines are silver and the drive shaft black.  I know of lots of corrosion on the engines but none on the shafts.  So here's hoping.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I also have a black engine on my new RT and, having experienced light corrosion on two GS bikes, I did also wonder if the black paint would make a difference. My personal (and entirely unscientific) conclusion was that the colour of the paint really shouldn't make the slightest difference. Unless BMW have changed their methods - or they are formulating or applying the black paint differently - then we should end up with the same result.

To that end one of my first acts was to generously cover all of the engine parts that I can get to with ACF50 and I plan to renew that every two weeks throughout the winter.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

I also use AC50 and the engine looks fine but the rear bevel box has started to bubble and there is a little bubble or two on the driveshaft cover very close to the rubber joint. I am on the third engine now and enough is enough. More time at the dealers than riding or so it seems!
Last edited by chappers2a on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chappers2a
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

chappers2a wrote: I also use AC50 and the engine looks fine but the rear bevel box has started to bubble and there is a little bubble or two on the driveshaft cover very close to the rubber joint. I am on the third engine now and enough is enough. More time at the dealers than riding or so it seems!
Ouch  :(
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Jacksnipe

Re: Black engine. paint/corrosion problems?

Post by Jacksnipe »

Chappers2a, Have the engines being replaced based on their corrosion  susceptibility  and what model is said bike please ?
Jacksnipe
B787MECH
Bike Model and Year: 2016 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Great Britain

Post by B787MECH »

I have just bought a new RT and was told by the dealer that the black finish was brought out to address the previous corrosion problems. Presumably its not just a different colour paint then, but it'll be interesting to see just how effective it is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
kiki

Post by kiki »

I live in Canada, the land of salt, snow and rain. I would think that if black paint was to address corrosion we would have had it years ago. Contrary to what some folks claim on this forum, ours drive-trains are and will be silver for the foreseeable future.
chappers2a
Great Britain

Post by chappers2a »

Jacksnipe. The bike is a 2014 RT. The original engine suffered from paint blistering and was replaced as a goodwill gesture. The replacement engine soon started to blister and was also replaced under goodwill.  So far the 3rd engine is fine but bevel box and swingarm are starting to blister. Hence the interest in the black coating.
chappers2a
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I sometimes wonder if corrosion is sometimes down to over enthusiastic use of chemical cleaners and we have a bit of GSitus going on .  Won't mention the product a thousands will say it's perfect stuff.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

chappers2a wrote: Jacksnipe. The bike is a 2014 RT. The original engine suffered from paint blistering and was replaced as a goodwill gesture. The replacement engine soon started to blister and was also replaced under goodwill.  So far the 3rd engine is fine but bevel box and swingarm are starting to blister. Hence the interest in the black coating.

Mine is a 2014 and all is good at the moment, no rust whatsoever, hope I haven't jinked it now  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

That's what's weird about this.  Lots get jack sh.. corrosion and some get near total dissintrigation .  I can't see how that is down to production, much more likely to be something happening to them in use.  It's obviously not been worked out by BMW  or they wouldn't  be so keen to fix things. Mine in April 14 and totally clear of any corrosion.
Last edited by guest2360 on Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

My 2014 is the same, zero corrosion. However the 21K its done has been in good weather and certainly no where near salt. I do ride it in winter but on a day like today, wet and dirty I use my Pan ST1300. Basically my RT is kept clean and dry and thats why there is no corrosion. If I was going to use my bike to commute on in winter I think it would fall apart. What to the Germans use on their roads in winter when its icy ?
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Same as us I'm sure.  However when we were living there in the 80s and 90s they were laying down some black stuff which I understand was ground up volcanic rock.  You got no salt damage but it was amazingly  good at stripping paint off.
limesgmt

Post by limesgmt »

I lived just outside of Munich 20 years ago and they never put anything on the roads, salt was considered a pollutant.
They put winter tyres on their cars in November and that was it until spring.
The black ice was horrendous!
Dave