Riding position advice

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

Riding position advice

Post by Paggers »

I'm two weeks into riding my RT - just over 600 miles - and I have come to the conclusion that either I am riding it wrong or I need to modify something.

The issue is that after about 10-15 minutes riding the bike I start to get cramp in my back, just at the level of the bottom of my shoulder blades. It never gets particularly bad, more unpleasant than painful, but I can't get rid of it. Changing position alleviates it for a minute then it comes back again. I have never had anything like this before on any of my previous bikes and it is certainly detracting from the enjoyment of long distance rides.

I have read up on the 'Master Yoda Riding Position' and tried to apply any lessons I can from that. So far no improvement.

I'm 6' 1" so I guess on the tall side. I have the seat in the low position - one thing I haven't tried yet is moving that to the upper position but I'm reluctant to do that as it will stick my head even further above the screen.

I'm thinking perhaps I may need bar risers but I don't want to start splashing the cash if it's something I can fix with the way I ride the bike. So if there is anyone out there who has been through something similar and has any useful suggestions they would be most welcome.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
paulh

Re: Riding position advice

Post by paulh »

I'm even newer to the RT than you but at 5'10" I'm using the standard seat (almost flat footed) so I'd be inclined to raise your seat and give it a try.

It's a quick and easy adjustment and will improve the angle of your leg/hip/lower back which may well help.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I'm a shorty at 5ft 8 and find no back discomfort. But I have met taller riders who need risers, if you use this web site, you can adjust to your height and also put in the difference risers would make to see how the ergonomics change. http://cycle-ergo.com
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: I'm a shorty at 5ft 8 and find no back discomfort. But I have met taller riders who need risers, if you use this web site, you can adjust to your height and also put in the difference risers would make to see how the ergonomics change. http://cycle-ergo.com
Very interesting website. However, after entering my details it doesn't explain if what I am seeing is good, bad or indifferent. Not sure if I am missing something.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Unless one can alter the position of the bars by rotating them up and away/towards, then bar-backs are the probably answer.
John Bentall
guest3075

Post by guest3075 »

I'm a few inches taller and get the same pain but not all the time, I can be out for hours and never get it or 45 mins and it comes on. 

I put it down not being relaxed enough on the bike.

If possible when the pain comes on, I'll stop and do some stretching (join hands behind back with one arm over the shoulder).

I have seat on higherst, (it's been Tony Archered) and I also have ergo footpegs.

I'm up in your neck of the woods for Xmas, but not on the bike, perhaps in a few months we could meet up and you can see how these mods feel for you.

All the best

Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Raise the seat, shift yourself forward towards the tank so that you can grip it with your knees, forearms parallel to the ground. Best riding position and more relaxed.
Give it a try......
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I am 6'6" and I get a pain in the seat position, not the back.

I have the seat set on the high position, which does sort out the problem of the back, as I sit more or less upright.  Yes the head sticks above the stock windshield, however even with the seat on the low position - it still did!

It does not hurt to give the upper position a try, who knows you might be ok with it.  I habitually wear ear plugs so the wind noise is reduced.

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Very interesting website. However, after entering my details it doesn't explain if what I am seeing is good, bad or indifferent. Not sure if I am missing something.

For me, when I put in my height and the details of Illium bar risers, it showed that my back would be straighter instead of = 5 degs forward and I would be more crouched. So I decided not to bother. You can also compare two bikes, so if you know a bike which is good, you can compare angels and see the differences, then adjust so the angles are similiar.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks folks.

I entered my old GS into the tool for comparison and was interested to note that I was leaned a bit further forward on the GS than I am on the RT. The leg and hip angles were also wider (not surprising given that the GS is a taller bike). I put the seat in the higher position for the ride up to the dealer this morning (to drop it off for first service and a few other bits) and tried angling my body forward more. There was definite improvement, I'm still getting the discomfort but only at the bottom of my right shoulder blade rather than both. Ironically (given that it goes contrary to all the advice) I found it most comfortable if I leaned into the bars and supported some of my weight on my arms. I suspect it could be a relaxation issue as suggested above.

As the dealer needs to keep my bike overnight (they are fitting the impact protectors onto the cases and need 12 hours for the glue to set properly) they loaned me an S1000XR. In terms of riding position it was much more like my old GS and I was interested to notice that without consciously thinking about it I automatically leaned much further forward with my arms much more bent. My back did continue to bother me a bit in the same place on the XR but at this stage I suspect I have irritated the muscle enough that riding any bike is going to be a bit uncomfortable.

So what I have taken away from today is to try and actively lean a bit further forward and try to relax a bit more. I will leave the seat in the high position - I have an Aeroflow tall screen due to arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will help with the buffeting. I will report back on my results.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Interestingly, I had a GS loaner a few weeks ago, it was the first time I had ridden a GS since the early 90s. After two days my back ached and my shoulders. It was similar to when I first got the RT, coming from a Harley. I had wrist ache and back ache, but after a few weeks and miles it all went away with no changes. So it must be just getting used to different bikes.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: Interestingly, I had a GS loaner a few weeks ago, it was the first time I had ridden a GS since the early 90s. After two days my back ached and my shoulders. It was similar to when I first got the RT, coming from a Harley. I had wrist ache and back ache, but after a few weeks and miles it all went away with no changes. So it must be just getting used to different bikes.
Thanks Casbar. I am hoping that it's just a case of using muscle groups slightly differently and it will disappear in time. Still, it will not hurt to work on improving my riding position at the same time.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Update following a longer ride. I spent a bit over 2 hours on the bike riding A-roads then, later in the day, a similar period riding back 50/50 on A-roads and motorway.

Following feedback from above I have the seat in the higher position, and I made a conscious effort to lean further forward. The result was - aside from a few twinges now and then - a pretty comfortable ride. I did stop off about 90 minutes into the return ride as I was starting to get stiff legs and shoulders but I suspect that was just general tiredness.

I imagine I will have to keep working on this new position until it becomes second nature, but all indications are that if I do so then the back pain will stay away. That's really great news as it means I will increasingly be able to focus on enjoying the ride. Thanks to everyone who contributed with advice.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Interesting comments about riding positions and think i will enter into the training mode of being consciously competent for a while and see if any of this helps me.

As a footnote though I used to be in the services and Ran the Field gun crew a couple of times (youtube it)  (30 years ago)and since then my level of fitness has dropped until the last 2 months when i have hit the gym hard.  More recently my rides have been so much more enjoyable as a result of less aches and general fatigue and i would definitely recommend a session or 10 in the gym before buying new seats.risers
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

I wonder if it's about being a bit tense on a new bike.  Something I suffered from back in July when the new RT came along the replace the 1300GT.  One day I was out having fun and noticed that there were none of the concerning aches and pains from previous rides.  My theory is that I'd just relaxed a bit.  Bum still gets sore though, must look into doing something about the seat.