How did they make it so good!

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest3954

Re: How did they make it so good!

Post by guest3954 »

Skeezix wrote: RT's are off road bikes as well.
Wow. That's a brave move. Respect due. :) .
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

I agree with you Paulh. 

I have a 2010 model, and I ride virtually all year round.  It is only when there is snow, ice or mechanical problems that really stop me from riding.

In Belgium, as your motorcycling costs are tax deducible for the percentage you use it for travelling to / from work, there are a large number of people who ride, or have ridden.  As a result BMW is one of the more frequently obtained bikes.  So my RT is not as unique as it is in the UK.  I get more looks from people in the UK than in Belgium.

Still she is a joy to ride, and I ride for myself not for others!

Best regards
Sleuth
Best regards, Sleuth
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

Sleuth wrote: I agree with you Paulh. 

I have a 2010 model, and I ride virtually all year round.  It is only when there is snow, ice or mechanical problems that really stop me from riding.

In Belgium, as your motorcycling costs are tax deducible for the percentage you use it for travelling to / from work, there are a large number of people who ride, or have ridden.  As a result BMW is one of the more frequently obtained bikes.  So my RT is not as unique as it is in the UK.  I get more looks from people in the UK than in Belgium.

Still she is a joy to ride, and I ride for myself not for others!

Best regards
Sleuth

i like the sound of this. Receiving a tax incentive to ride as much as possible. We could learn something here

2012 SE
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Mike wrote: Wow. That's a brave move. Respect due. :) .
A few years ago I was in the Lake District. Can't remember the exact location but there is a wide ford with a wooden foot bridge and a nice cafe just on the other side (perhaps someone knows it). Anyway, we were paddling in the ford with my son and I noted that the bed of the ford was concrete with a liberal coating of green slime. I was just thinking how fortunate it was that we had parked the car on the other side and walked over the bridge when I saw a group of bikes arrive at the far side.

The first was a custom which pulled up at the side of the road. The second was a tourer - either an RT or something very similar (I don't honestly remember now). The guy was two-up and he just went straight for the ford. He got about six feet before the bike low-sided, throwing his passenger into the river upstream while the bike slipped off the concrete bed and ended up wedged half over the lip at the edge.

You can just imagine the scene. One very wet female passenger, the bike well and truly wedged with water washing around and over it. Took about six of us to get the bike out of the water and on to dry land. When I left the apologising had just started - I wouldn't have liked to be in his shoes.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X