Clearwater Erica lights on a 2015 R1200RT

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
pkpilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Clearwater Erica lights on a 2015 R1200RT

Post by pkpilot »

Question for the group... Do Clearwater lights mounted under the mirrors overpower the turn signals?  I do not see anything in the CANopener info that says the light turns off if the turn signal is used (unlike the Hexezcan controller).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: Casbar.  Don't answer .  It will,only get more confusing. Someone will,pop up and say they have Oxford ones which don't come one with anything.

8)  Thought my post was clear if you read the last sentence. Yes and Yes
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I've remembered.  You can't have them (BMW proper ones) on with the DRL on.  Has to be dip or main.

Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I've remembered.  You can't have them (BMW proper ones) on with the DRL on.  Has to be dip or main.

Yep that is correct  8)
carpedatum

Post by carpedatum »

pkpilot wrote: Question for the group... Do Clearwater lights mounted under the mirrors overpower the turn signals?  I do not see anything in the CANopener info that says the light turns off if the turn signal is used (unlike the Hexezcan controller).

Clearwater's CANopener helps to prevent that from happening.  Its aware of whether you are currently using low beam (dipped) or high (main) beam, and whether it is day or night.  While you can adjust what intensity the lights operate at in any of these cases, my "normal" for them has been their default settings.  At those settings, the Ericas operate at just 10% of their down-right-scary potential output if it is day time and you are using the low beam.  Consequently they don't really overpower the turn signals.  They do garner some extra attention in traffic, though, which I have found useful particularly when lane-splitting.

That said, I recently worked with them to obtain an alternate setup.  I have the BMW factory accessory aux lights and would prefer to put my Ericas down where those lights are now (on the factory accessory brackets), moving the factory lights up under the mirrors.  I asked them about that, not because I am worried about swamping my turn signals but because putting the bigger lights down low, in front of those big fat cylinder heads, strikes me as more visually appealing.

We'll see.  They agreed to sell me parts to make that happen, and those arrived just the other day.  They've also mentioned that they've got a design in the works for even-better under-the-mirror hardware that would make this easier and cleaner, but have not got it in production yet.

If you are of a mind to do something with their products that you do not see mentioned on clearwaterlights.com, I recommend reaching out to them.  I have found them to be easy to work with.  Reasonably priced?  Definitely not.  I've held my nose twice now to buy Ericas (my last set were on an unfortunately-totalled K1600GT).  However, their design is unparalleled in ways that are worth something extra to me. 

When I have this arrangement working I'll post photos, with thanks to bmwdean for posting his.  Looks really good!  Almost convinced me to reverse course and leave the factory lamps where they are, but I did pony up extra for the parts to move them, so... gotta try it.
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

Thanks!?

pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

Sorry, I mistyped... Thanks!!

amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

Newbie here-I am in the process of installing the Ericas w/mirror brackets on my 2016 r1200rt and I'm stumped on how to remove the air intake duct to access the body bolts.  I can see one tab locking the bottom of the duct in, but something else (another tab) is still holding the duct in place.  Any advice would be much appreciated.
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

Glad I read this thread. I just ordered the Darla's with crashbar mounts earlier today. I didn't realize they now had a mirror mount. Called them up and got the order changed to the mirror mounts before they were shipped.
Steve
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I'm sure of one thing.  Be unfortunate enough to gently drop the bike with those attached to the mirrors and your repair bill will be enormous no matter how much scaffolding you have on.
UL2MIT

Post by UL2MIT »

I just installed a set of Darla's on my 2016 RTW. Installation was pretty easy but I'm stumped as to what to do with all of the extra wiring. No place in the neck of the bike seems to have enough clearance to avoid the suspension and steering parts. How did you stow yours away? I didn't cut any wiring in the installation of the lights so it's all there. Thanks in advance!
Last edited by UL2MIT on Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

UL2MIT wrote: I just installed a set of Darla's on my 2015 RTW. Installation was pretty easy but I'm stumped as to what to do with all of the extra wiring. No place in the neck of the bike seems to have enough clearance to avoid the suspension and steering parts. How did you stow yours away? I didn't cut any wiring in the installation of the lights so it's all there. Thanks in advance!
Which mounting bracket did you use?  I just put some Ericas on using the BMW foglight brackets.  The wiring is  a bit of a hassle, but I put the relay up in the "birds nest", which is at the top of the fork and just under the BMW logo on the steering column.  I can send pics if you need them, PM me.
BMW MOA #210438
Littlebriar

Post by Littlebriar »

timminator wrote: Which mounting bracket did you use?  I just put some Ericas on using the BMW foglight brackets.  The wiring is  a bit of a hassle, but I put the relay up in the "birds nest", which is at the top of the fork and just under the BMW logo on the steering column.  I can send pics if you need them, PM me.
It is quite a bundle to store. I put mine in the "birds nest" as well. I put a big hunk of heat shrink tubing around all the connectors, then tied it to some of the cables on the right side of the handle bars.
Steve