Valve adjustment - who hasn't done it?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
DBLXX

Valve adjustment - who hasn't done it?

Post by DBLXX »

Anyone out there who just said "the hell with it" I'm not doing it?

How many miles in your bike?

Just curious.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Valve adjustment - who hasn't done it?

Post by leonjennings »

me

2012 SE
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

leonjennings wrote: me

I think I'm going to be in your camp.

How many miles on your bike Leon?
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Why would you NOT do it? It's not particularly difficult / expensive, whereas the consequences of not checking it could be.
pkpilot

Post by pkpilot »

Just had my 2015 RT in for the 12K mile, which includes the valve check. The mech said that they were in spec and no adjustment needed. He said he has never had to adjust a wet head...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
leonjennings

Post by leonjennings »

Sullivj wrote: Why would you NOT do it? It's not particularly difficult / expensive, whereas the consequences of not checking it could be.

i have an ex BMW workshop manager and motorbike Guru that has set up shop locally. He is brilliant and just looks after everything. Years ago When i had the R80RT he did the work at the BMW workshop and never fell short. Then he worked on my old R1200rt 1997. Again a brilliant service but from his private commercial set up. Brilliant service.

Now i have a new to me R1200RT 2013. He looks after it. Never had an issue. he is moderately cheap and top draw.

will gladly publish his name/details if permitted.

On my new bike i have done around 500 miles. Previously around 7k
2012 SE
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Sullivj wrote:Why would you NOT do it? It's not particularly difficult / expensive, whereas the consequences of not checking it could be.
On an LC, checking the valve clearances is one thing, however, if they need adjusting, the cams need to be removed, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=7
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

DBLXX wrote: Anyone out there who just said "the hell with it" I'm not doing it? ..... Just curious.
Are you curious about all the various models going back to 2006 or just the latest iteration which, I'm guessing,  is substantially different to all previous versions  ?
My bike is new and will be dealer serviced for the foreseeable future, so checks will be made (along with any adjustments found to be necessary ) in line with BMW recommendations.
If I was servicing my own bike I would check valve clearances every winter as I used to do in my Kawasaki days. That led to me having to replace camshafts on one of my GPZ900Rs, but that was better than not knowing.
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:If I was servicing my own bike I would check valve clearances every winter as I used to do in my Kawasaki days. That led to me having to replace camshafts on one of my GPZ900Rs, but that was better than not knowing.
Was that one of the Kawasaki "Chocolate" camshafts.
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Was that one of the Kawasaki "Chocolate" camshafts.
[w/quote]

Exactly that. The A3 model was supposed to have the modified oil pipes which were supposed to prevent the pitting of the cam. Because I had bought the bike new and it was (just) out of warranty, I got the cams and oil pipes FOC but had to fit them myself. A bit fiddly, but not a difficult job. I doubt the issue had anything to do with oil, it looked like poor quality chocolate to me !
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
scunny1

Post by scunny1 »

DaygloDavid wrote: Was that one of the Kawasaki "Chocolate" camshafts.
Still miss my GPZ900r stolen in York  and half recovered in bits on Tyneside. Quite funny really went on a tour around York on an open topped bus, girlfriend said look there's a Kawasaki like yours going in the opposite direction  - Jesus it was mine!!! Went back to where it was parked and only found key tumblers on the ground. :o
scunny1  R1200RT LE 2015
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

Did mine on my old 2008 model and it,s a piece of cake.  It did feel a bit heath robinson when you think of the thousandth of an inch req but understanding that over the last few turns of the cam that you have almost zero movement means it is not as  heath robinson as it seems.  Once you balance throttle bodies after adjustment it runs a treat
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Hodge wrote:Did mine on my old 2008 model and it,s a piece of cake.
It's even easier on the TC, no messing about with adjusters & locknuts, just fixed shims which are a doddle to remove & replace if necessary.