Smell akin to burning rubber

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Smell akin to burning rubber

Post by Steve F »

My 2015 RT now has 9k miles on it to date, and I've occasionally noticed a 'burning rubber' smell wafting up from the bike at standstill following a high(ish) speed ride. Most recently, as I was following a colleague on his 2015 RT-P Blood Bike, the burnt rubber smell was evident from his bike whilst riding. Following that ride, my colleague commented on the apparent pong as well! Has anybody else experienced and/or have any ideas as to what's causing it? Not a smell that's evident after every ride, but when it is, it sure stinks!🤔😕
T6pilot
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Smell akin to burning rubber

Post by T6pilot »

Coming to a stop on my 15 RT I noticed smoke and a burning plastic smell, coolant temp and quantity were normal. Careful inspection revealed a plastic wrapper had become entangled in right side header pipe and melted
Took awhile to clean mess off
I might be inclined to check header pipes as a first step
Jim
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Have you felt the tyres when you've pulled up.  They can get sticky so presumably a bit smelly.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

T6pilot, nothing found or noticed to be abnormal in and around that area.
RTman10, yes, tyres are warm to the touch but no more than normal following several miles at approx 60mph. Certainly not sticky, but I know what you mean.
Kunkies

Post by Kunkies »

I have a 2014 R1200RT and I have also smelled that burning rubber smell, mostly when I'm riding her harder than usual.  I always thought it was either the tires or brakes from from trail braking in the twisties, sweepers. 
-Bob