Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
knme

Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Post by knme »

Hi
Have a 2010RT which i am happy about but think could do well with a little bit more grunt. So I've been reading about various tuning or performance kits/approaches.
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this kit: http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-motorcycle-performance-chip/bmw/r1200rt
Does it deliver as claimed? And perhaps more importantly, are there any side effects or arguments against making such changes? Specifically thinking about any form of engine wear or degradation.
Thanks!
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Post by David. »

Sounds like a bit of a "hit & miss" approach to performance tuning. Cutting & splicing wires doesn't seem very professional.

Booster Plug, http://www.boosterplug.com/shop/booster ... -193p.html may be an alternative which fits OEM connectors.

More "grunt" is usually best achieved with more cc's.

Exhaust gas analysis & tuning on a dyno may give better more reliable results.
knme

Post by knme »

DaygloDavid,

Thanks & agree the solution looks a bit hobby'ish, might still work though.
Else the booster plug does come across as a solid option. I'll consider that :) 
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Booster plugs have been discussed over the years.  Think they make the bike run a little richer so marginally smoother.  At the end of the day though the general opinion seems to be.  Don't bother sorting out a sorted bike.
I'm sure lots will disagree.
Last edited by guest2360 on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

IMO, without exhaust gas analysis, it's just guess work.

I was having a problem with my Yamaha XJ650, it wasn't firing on all four cylinders at idle speed. Took it to a dyno. centre for w.g. analysis & sure enough, no.3 cylinder was too rich & not firing. Following adjustment & checking of all four cylinders, it ran like a dream. The carbs. were then balanced & job done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpZ9DmeBFs

If I wasn't happy with the performance of my 2012 TC RT, then yes I'd do something about it, but it's quick enough for me.
A local in Norway told me that the Police are pretty hot on anyone exceeding the speed limit, which I'm sure the RT will.
Last edited by David. on Mon Dec 26, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having done some more research, if I wanted to improve the performance of my RT, I'd go down the ECU remapping route, not bolt on/plug in chips or plugs.

For stoichiometric combustion of fuel (petrol),  the air-fuel ratio (AFR) is 15.0:1.

Booster Plug claim to add 6% more fuel, resulting in the AFR creating a richer mixture from approx. 14.4:1 to 13.6:1.

Looking back at this RTLC Remapped thread, https://1200rt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8, Hilltop give upper & lower AFR limits of 13.5:1 & 12.5:1 respectively.

The Dyno run charts show that before remapping, the AFR was above the upper limit throughout the RPM range & started off above 20.0:1, before levelling off at about 4,000 RPM, running just above the upper AFR limit after that.
After remapping, the AFR started off at near stoichiometric, reducing to the upper limit at around 3,000 RPM, then remaining between the upper & lower limits throughout the RPM range.

The remapping results look far better than the "plug & play" options.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

knme wrote: Hi
Have a 2010RT which i am happy about but think could do well with a little bit more grunt. So I've been reading about various tuning or performance kits/approaches.
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this kit: http://www.magnumtuning.com/en/detail/dyno-boost-motorcycle-performance-chip/bmw/r1200rt
Does it deliver as claimed? And perhaps more importantly, are there any side effects or arguments against making such changes? Specifically thinking about any form of engine wear or degradation.
Thanks!
The TC engine is a Megamoto detuned engine. When discussing LC V TC a while ago RT Man thought it used to be about 135 BHP. If you want more grunt, you may all ready have they been latent capacity.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Mike wrote:The TC engine is a Megamoto detuned engine. When discussing LC V TC a while ago RT Man thought it used to be about 135 BHP. If you want more grunt, you may all ready have they been latent capacity.
That's a very good point, what was done to the Megamoto/HP2 engine before it was fitted to the TC RT.

Get the TC RT up to that spec. & blow away the LC in the process.

The remapped LC achieved an increase in bhp of nearly 20%, if the same can be done with a TC, 110 bhp + 20% = 132 bhp, job done.
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
leonjennings
Been liked: 1 time

Post by leonjennings »

but what about insurance?

2012 SE
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The remapped LC achieved an increase in bhp of nearly 20%, if the same can be done with a TC, 110 bhp + 20% = 132 bhp, job done.

That very much depends on who's figures you look at.  I have seen it shown as Sod all difference.  The megamoto also had some ridiculous service schedule like every 1K. So I suspect same valve gear and everything else different.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Given how manufacturers map engines (i.e. a compromise between performance and economy) it should always be possible to increase performance with a re-map, if you are willing to accept the trade-off in fuel consumption. It is also important to bear in mind that increasing the point 'peak' BHP figure is often at the expense of performance at other points in the rev range.

Where mapping normally comes into its own is in evening out the curves to give more consistent performance across the rev range. It is quite possible to have no difference in peak BHP or torque and yet to completely change the way in which an engine performs, making it much faster overall and more enjoyable to ride.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

RTman10 wrote:

That very much depends on who's figures you look at.  I have seen it shown as Sod all difference.  The megamoto also had some ridiculous service schedule like every 1K. So I suspect same valve gear and everything else different.
Megamoto

BMW Service
After the first 10,000 km
and every additional 20,000
km (30,000 km, 50,000
km, 70,000 km, etc.) if this
distance is covered within a
year.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Where did you find that.  That is suggesting after the first 6000 miles it's every 12000 miles.  That's twice the norm. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

(PDF) Rider's Manual HP2 Megamoto - BMW Motorrad.
www.bmw-motorrad.de>com>PDF

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

http://www.bmw-motorrad.com/com/en/inde ... &notrack=1

The HP2 engine is 133 bhp at 8,750 RPM, max revs are 9,500 RPM.

The Megamoto engine is 113 bhp at 7,500 RPM, max revs are 8,000 RPM.

The HP2 & Megamoto both have torque of 115 Nm at 6,000 RPM, the TC RT has 120 Nm at 6,000 RPM.

The TC RT is 110 bhp at 7,750 RPM, max revs are 8,500 RPM.

Therefore, the engine speed & the compression ratio increases the bhp. The compression ratio is 12.0:1 on both the Megamoto & RT, but 12.5:1 on the HP2.

The cylinder bore & piston stroke is the same on all three engines, the HP2 is likely to have different pistons/cylinder head to increase the compression ratio.

"The HP2 Sport also features all-new cylinder heads, with cam follower valve lifts attached to double overhead camshafts on each cylinder. There are four radial valves on each cylinder, with valve plate diameters of 39 millimetres at the inflow and 33 millimetres at the outflow. Other modifications such as airflow-optimized intake and exhaust ports, new forged pistons and redesigned connecting rods also contribute to the outstanding performance."
Last edited by David. on Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.