Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Post by David. »

Thanks for the positive feedback so far, anymore would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by David. on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

More info. from Adventure Rider about ECU Remapping by Hilltop, https://advrider.com/f/threads/e-c-u-re ... es.847046/
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

David. wrote: More info. from Adventure Rider about ECU Remapping by Hilltop, https://advrider.com/f/threads/e-c-u-remap-by-hilltop-motorcycles.847046/

There is also lots of discussion, going back several years, with a positive response on the 'UKGSer.com' forum.

http://www.ukgser.com/forums/search.php ... id=9924029

simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Thanks for the positive feedback so far, anymore would be greatly appreciated.

What are you hoping to achieve by having it re-mapped David?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:What are you hoping to achieve by having it re-mapped David?
Smoother idle, crisper throttle response when setting off, less fluffy when "blipping" the throttle during downshifting, occasionally at the moment it feels like there's nothing there.

I intend to keep the bike, it would be nice to improve the ride & experience.

I'm not looking for any power gains, just to have the bike set up with the correct AFR for best performance, not noise levels or emissions etc.
Last edited by David. on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stayingupright

Post by stayingupright »

David. wrote: Smoother idle, crisper throttle response when setting off, less fluffy when "blipping" the throttle during downshifting, occasionally at the moment it feels like there's nothing there.

If you go any quicker David, you may end up losing your licence ..  ;)
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Having spoken to someone today who has a Boosterplug "The Original", https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/booste ... -339p.html fitted to his R1200R LC and is happy with the resulting performance, may consider one myself.

Has anyone had any experience of fitting a Boosterplug to any R1200 models.
Last edited by David. on Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Has anyone had any experience of fitting a Boosterplug to any R1200 models.
Just found this thread, "Boosterplug", viewtopic.php?p=18592#p18592, some positive feedback.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

If you're thing of using the Booster Plug, I'd consider this instead - http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/page_BMW.html  £40 plus postage, it's exactly the same thing as the Booster Plug, and a damn sight cheaper! I used one on my K1200 R-Sport prior to fitting a PCIII - it helped, but I reckon that as quick as the gadget fooled the ECU into supplying extra fuel, the ECU (re)compensated and we were back to square one! I'm exaggerating slightly, but the positive benefits attributable to the plug certainly weren't permanent. Based on that, I'd say you'll be a lot less disappointed if you've only spent £40!
I had my 1200ST Hilltopped, it was the best £300 I've ever spent on a bike, end of. Low speed running and pick-up in higher gears were vastly improved.....and that's definitely not an exaggeration.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Picked up a used Accelerator Module for £15, thought it was worth a go at that price. Not being convinced that the AM made any difference, have now removed it and fitted a new Boosterplug. The BP has not yet been tested as the bike is now SORN'ed & being prepared for hibernation. If the BP doesn't give satisfactory results, I may well consider getting the bike re-mapped at Hilltop later in 2019.

Anymore feedback on Hilltop is most welcome, thanks.
Last edited by David. on Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

It'll be interesting to see if the Boosterplug is any better than the AM - I can't find it now, but ages ago there was a long thread on one of the many BMW forums about the 'technology' involved in these devices, basically (I think) a few pence worth of resistor dressed up in what you see. The resistor simply fools the ECU into 'thinking' the ambient temperature is lower than it is, so extra fuel is supplied.

I found this on UKGSer, not sure if you have to be a member to view - it's not the thread I'm referring to, but looks similar.http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/210687-Accelerator-Module
Some people rate them, others don't....the same can be said about Hilltop, although I do think the 'ayes' have it for the remap! My ST's throttle was always very 'on/off' at low speeds, making riding around town a pain. After the remap, it was as smooth as silk on the lightest of throttles, even at walking pace. Tickover was much improved, although I'd recently fitted DCPR8EIX plugs, which themselves had made a noticeable difference to it before the remap. I found I could pootle along at 30mph in 5th if I wanted to (usually, I didn't though!), but the best improvement was the way the bike picked up from, say, 50mph in 4th or 5th - much, much better, more ooomph...it almost felt like a different bike. I know we all want - really want! - not to have wasted our hard-earned, and can fall into the wishful-thinking camp, but I know the improvements I felt were real-world ones, not imaginary. Anyway, Geoff offers a money-back refund if you're not happy, together with a return to the standard mapping. His remap uses space on the ECU, so it's not an overwrite, the original is always there.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:Anyway, Geoff offers a money-back refund if you're not happy, together with a return to the standard mapping. His remap uses space on the ECU, so it's not an overwrite, the original is always there.
That's useful & re-assuring to know. Hilltop at Hinckley is a 330 miles round trip for me.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

David. wrote: That's useful & re-assuring to know. Hilltop at Hinckley is a 330 miles round trip for me.
I bet you'd enjoy the ride home more than the ride there!  :)
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:I bet you'd enjoy the ride home more than the ride there!
If I do go ahead with the re-map, it may well coincide with the trip to Shrewsbury for the RT annual meet in July 2019. The ride out on Saturday 6th July could be entertaining.
Last edited by David. on Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoB21
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 34 times
Great Britain

Post by BoB21 »

Hmmmmmm might get the 1250!!!!!!!