Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
guest2360

Re: Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Post by guest2360 »

So the conclusion to this post is knme should scrap his RT and buy an HP2.  Or just buy an HP2 engine and graft it in.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

RTman10 wrote:Or just buy an HP2 engine and graft it in.
Exactly what I thought this morning after having done the research last night.
knme wrote:Have a 2010RT which I am happy about but think could do well with a little bit more grunt.
I associate "more grunt" with torque rather that bhp, the RT already has more torque than the HP2.

Looking at the LC for a comparison, it has 125 bhp at 7,750 RPM (same engine speed as the TC),  13.6% more power.
Torque is 125 Nm at a higher engine speed of 6,500 RPM (6,000 RPM for the TC),  4.2% more torque.
Max. engine speed is 9,000 RPM (500 RPM more than the TC).
Compression ration 12.5:1 (12.0:1 on the TC).

The LC has gained 13 kg in weight over the TC, an increase of 4.9%.
If torque is considered as "pulling power", then both the LC & TC check out as more or less the same at 0.45 Nm/kg.
The TC's being available at a slightly lower engine speed.
Last edited by David. on Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

Didn't the HP2 have hideously expensive service requirements like a rebuild at 30k miles. Suggests that they may have been squeezing too much out of that engine. Probably means the LC engine has a lot more to offer, in yearly increments of course!
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Didn't the HP2 have hideously expensive service requirements like a rebuild at 30k miles. Suggests that they may have been squeezing too much out of that engine. Probably means the LC engine has a lot more to offer, in yearly increments of course!

That's what I thought but got it muddled up with the Mega motor.  All dead ducks now though .
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

blokeonthemove wrote:Didn't the HP2 have hideously expensive service requirements like a rebuild at 30k miles.
Found this on Boxertrix.com.

The following components have to be replaced:
- Valve springs, valve collets, top and bottom valve spring retainers and valve stem seals
- Cylinder-head gaskets
- Fan impeller for crankcase
- Pistons with rings and piston pins
- Conrod bearing shells and conrod cap bolts
LAF

Post by LAF »

ON the dyno with a PC V yesterday I got 112.85 and 82.20 at 7785 RPM on a 15 RT.

So pretty accurate on the LC quote.
LAF

Post by LAF »

LAF

Post by LAF »

I use a Power Commander V with Autotune, and a Pod 300 to monitor AFR on each cylinder, TPS, and RPM.  And Dyno Tuned on 93 octane. gas.

On a brand new Dyno it put out 113 HP and 88 foot pounds of torque.  Very close to the 10% loss quoted at crank to the real rear wheel numbers.  I was impressed.

Biggest thing is it is not lean anywhere and my cruise range is in the 14.1 AFR.

I spent the money not for power as with these bikes they make about as much power as they can because of how efficient they are.  It cost huge money for HP gains on a already efficient motor.  I did it to make sure my AFR is not too lean anywhere to keep heat down on the motor which is the worst enemy of a engine.  Lean heat will kill a motor quick.  Even if i wanted to pay 1000 dollars for a exhaust can I bet the HP would not go up more than 2 HP than I have.  The only other way to gain more is cams and head work and I do not ever remember anyone doing those things in all the years I have been riding and reading about BMW motorcycles.

The Pod 300 allows me to monitor what TPS I am at and what the AFR is so it allows me to tweak it with logging data and not have to dyno tune it every time I need or want to make a change.
slowvet
Bike Model and Year: 2011 r1200rt
Has liked: 8 times
United States of America

Post by slowvet »

I love this place.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Just had an Accelerator Module, http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/page.html fitted to my TC RT.

Looks like this is a more affordable price than Booster Plug The Original, https://www.boosterplug.com/shop/frontpage.html

Motorcycle Consumer News magazine tested both the above EFI Mods. on a BMW F650GG  in December 2013, http://www.sol2.be/Performance/Images/MCN_1312.pdf and said,

"The Booster Plug’s price is $149.95 including shipping from Denmark. Although we were pleased with the results, we also learned of a product called the Accelerator Module out of Belgium that appeared to provide similar results at a cost of only $45 plus shipping. In the interest of science, we bought one for comparison.

Functionally, there was no difference in performance. Throttle response of these two very differently priced modifications seemed identical."
Last edited by David. on Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Just had an Accelerator Module, http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Home/page.html fitted to my TC RT.

Have you noticed any difference?
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

simbo wrote:Have you noticed any difference?
Difficult to tell really, only had a short potter around at the moment.

Maybe a slightly crisper throttle response when "blipping" whilst changing down with the clutch pulled in, previously, this felt a little fluffy.
Last edited by David. on Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Has anyone had any experience of either Hilltop http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/ and/or Race HQ http://racehq.co.uk/ wrt setting up a TC RT.

Any comments and feedback would be most welcome, thanks.
simbo
Bike Model and Year: RT 2011
Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 96 times
Great Britain

Post by simbo »

David. wrote: Has anyone had any experience of either Hilltop http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/

A friend of mine had his F800 remapped at hilltop, he said it made a big difference in smoothing throttle response and better fuelling overall. They also offer a discount on block bookings on the V-Strom forum where again they get good reviews.
The GS 'is' the better bike :-)
RTs4me
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times
Great Britain

Post by RTs4me »

David. wrote: Has anyone had any experience of either Hilltop http://hilltopmotorcycles.co.uk/ and/or Race HQ http://racehq.co.uk/ wrt setting up a TC RT.

I had my twin-cam RT remapped at Hilltop. It made a very good improvement, over the entire rev range. The initial power and torque curves and AFR were shocking - a dip in power at about 4000rpm (where noise testing is done, I think). The torque curve was very lumpy. AFR was very lean everywhere.

After remapping - what a different bike! Linear power and torque curves, no lumps or bumps. AFR was much better, but strangely, fuel economy was actually improved.

I've since sold (actually part-ex'd for my first LC) the twin-cam and discarded all of my documentation for it, but I seem to remember that the power was only up by about 10hp and torque by about 10NM, not very impressive gains on the face of it, but the way the bike responded to increased throttle openings was the most notable difference. It's difficult to quantify, but the bike just felt better and far more responsive and lots smoother. Even the lumpy idle was improved. When riding, I could run a gear higher than before, for the same road speed, and it would just drive on when the throttle was opened. Very impressive.

I've no regrets and thought that it was money well spent. I had my first LC (2014) remapped on this basis, but I didn't feel that the improvement was as noticeable as it was with the twin-cam. I've just got a new LC and the factory mapping feels very different to the first LC. I don't think I'll be getting this one remapped - it feels pretty good as it is.

Hope this helps  :)
Last edited by RTs4me on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.