Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Technical aspects and performance of the BMW R1200RT/1250 RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Re: Performance tuning kit for R1200RT (Air/Oil cooled)

Post by David. »

Last edited by David. on Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
milleplod
Been liked: 1 time

Post by milleplod »

I picked up a used one of these the other day - £35. Seems to be a variation on the theme of tricking the ecu into supplying extra fuel - this one's adjustable, so it'll be interesting to see if it does anything worthwhile! M&P are knocking them out for around £90
[attachimg=1]
Pete
Attachments
Fuel1.jpg
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Procom Powerjet Fuel Controller for 2012 RT, http://www.procomeng.com/estore/pe-pj-004.html

M&P, https://www.mandp.co.uk/pe-pj-004-power ... oller.html

Procom Powerjet, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R6UWbPT8as

"After figuring out what setting works best with your specific engine/exhaust/intake combination you typically would leave it alone."
Last edited by David. on Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:Not being convinced that the AM made any difference, have now removed it and fitted a new Boosterplug. The BP has not yet been tested as the bike is now SORN'ed & being prepared for hibernation.
Fired the bike up today for the first time with the BP fitted. After being stood for 5 months, it immediately started with ease. Just a thought, I wonder if the BP has had any impact on starting. In previous years, the bike has struggled to start after being stored over winter.
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

milleplod wrote: I picked up a used one of these the other day - £35. Seems to be a variation on the theme of tricking the ecu into supplying extra fuel - this one's adjustable, so it'll be interesting to see if it does anything worthwhile! M&P are knocking them out for around £90
[attachimg=1]
Pete
I took my RT for its MoT on Friday, which it passed with flying colours, I'm pleased to say - it was my first ride with the Procom unit fitted. I'd set it to the 2nd mark on the scale - no reasoning behind that choice at all! I'm happy to report that there's definitely been a very noticeable improvement in low-speed running. I can trickle along in traffic quite happily in 3rd/4th gear, and the bike will then pick up cleanly from 20-30mph without hesitation. Previously, I would have had to have been in a lower gear. What's also noticeable is the improved fuelling at walking-pace - no more clutch-slipping needed, for example when executing a turn from a standstill, the engine-running is consistent on the lightest of throttle openings.
I'm impressed with this bit of kit, well worth a try before spending money on a full Hilltop setup, PC or similar, especially if, like me, you just need the low-speed stuff improving.
Pete
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 15 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

David, Good to hear it fired up OK.

Is it the Procom PE-PJ-004 that you have fitted?
milleplod

Post by milleplod »

Sullivj wrote: David, Good to hear it fired up OK.

Is it the Procom PE-PJ-004 that you have fitted?
Yep, they list that one version for the 1100/1150s and aircooled 1200s. Tbh, I've no doubt that all the units are the same except for the manufacturer-specific connector plugs.
Pete
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

milleplod wrote:It'll be interesting to see if the Boosterplug is any better than the AM.
Rode the bike spiritedly yesterday for the first time this year. IMO, the BP is definitely an improvement on the AM. The throttle response is crisper & the bike pulls harder when accelerating. It's less "fluffy" when blipping the throttle whilst changing down. More of a pleasure to ride.

If re-mapping produces even better results, then I'd certainly consider getting it done in the future.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

David. wrote:If re-mapping produces even better results, then I'd certainly consider getting it done in the future.
Booster Plug removed and ECU re-mapped by Hilltop Motorcycles.

Having tried, an Accelerator Module, a Booster Plug and now re-mapping at Hilltop, IMO, the latter produces the best results. The throttle feels like there is no free play/slack in the cables, a more instant, crisper response without any lag. Feels like the bike pulls stronger from lower revs in a higher gear. No fluffiness when blipping the throttle during downshift gear changes. No popping or banging/misfiring on the over run. Fuel consumption is looking better, with a range of around 330 miles, plus returning 58.1 mpg after first fill up. A greater pleasure to ride, the bike is transformed.

Geoff & Rob at Hilltop are spot on, I'd have no hesitation in recommending their services.
Last edited by David. on Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luishcorreia
Bike Model and Year: 1200RT, 2006
Been liked: 2 times

Post by luishcorreia »

milleplod wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:19 pm If you're thing of using the Booster Plug, I'd consider this instead - http://www.sol2.be/Performance/ENG/Order/page_BMW.html  £40 plus postage, it's exactly the same thing as the Booster Plug, and a damn sight cheaper! I used one on my K1200 R-Sport prior to fitting a PCIII - it helped, but I reckon that as quick as the gadget fooled the ECU into supplying extra fuel, the ECU (re)compensated and we were back to square one! I'm exaggerating slightly, but the positive benefits attributable to the plug certainly weren't permanent. Based on that, I'd say you'll be a lot less disappointed if you've only spent £40!
I had my 1200ST Hilltopped, it was the best £300 I've ever spent on a bike, end of. Low speed running and pick-up in higher gears were vastly improved.....and that's definitely not an exaggeration.
Pete
Got an accelerator module to my 2006 Rt.

I had a booster plug on a previous Kawasaki bike. Or a whole lot of difference. Here is the same. I feel some difference in first gear when starting to accelerate the bike. Don’t feel I need to feather the clutch so much to keep the bike from stalling. But… don’t know if it’s me.. but I feel that effect being smaller now than in the first day. Does that really happen? Does the ECU adapt? 😳😳
2006 BMW R1200RT
2019 Kawasaki Z900RS
Doctor T
Bike Model and Year: 2007 R1200RT SE
Has liked: 877 times
Been liked: 230 times
Great Britain

Post by Doctor T »

All the booster plug does is fool the bike that the outside temperature is cooler. Hence allowing a better fuel/air mixture at lower revs.
I have a homemade BP fitted to my Himalayan. The parts cost only £10 to buy. A chap on the Himalayan made these in a very limited number. The main difference to the bike was it ran much better. To make the bike stronger throughout the rev range an aftermarket exhaust without a cat was needed, an airbox mod along with a BMC filter was needed. Plus all the pipes and charcoal canister removed was the only solution as no map reflash is available as the standard ECU is not adaptable.