R1200 RT Drive line failures

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
guest2360

Re: R1200 RT Drive line failures

Post by guest2360 »

I was a parts manager in a main dealership for over 6 years.  I always kept one is stock but never used more than one or two a year.  They were mainly used when some play was detected but I can only remember one failing on the road.  That was on a K1200LT in the middle of Austria.  He was fixed and back on the road within a few hours.
As I said it's a non problem really.
Major Domo

Post by Major Domo »

Well EXCUSE ME for pointing out what seems to be a problem on the RT, and other BMW models. All one  has to do is a search on BMW R1200 RT driveline failures, and many examples  come up, some at ridiculously low miles. Here's just two:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/u ... ber=620857

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.ph ... re-R1200RT

For a bike as expensive as this, I find a premature failure of components in the driveline unacceptable. It seems to be across many model years, to boot. I think it's reasonable for one to do their research when looking to purchase a bike, new or used, as to potential major mechanical issues. I've read enough about this problem to potentially avoid this bike. AND, as mentioned in my previous post, a good friend had his drive shaft fail at around 38K, so I do have first-hand knowledge of this problem. [size=2px]If some of you RT owner's want to stick your head in the sand regarding what seems to be  a not-too-uncommon problem, be my guest. If BMW get sthis sorted out,then perhaps I'll consider purchasing one in the future. [/size]

As for the ST 1100, I've never heard of such an issue, except on very high-mileage units (100K plus), and then it's usually the rear wheel or drive shaft splines, that have worn out, usually due to lack of maintanence/proper lubrication.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A quick scan of the two sites suggest that most of the so called failures are down to the rear wheel flange failing.  They failed for one reason only.  Over tightening of the wheel nuts which cracked the flange.  In spite of this failure being completely down to whoever replaced the wheel BMW recalled all bikes and replaced the alloy flange with a steel,one FOC.
The other failure was a seal.
If you have never heard of rotting swinging arms on the ST110o your head is deeper in the sand than mine.
BeeJay

Post by BeeJay »

I must concur with RTMan about the st1100 swing arm problem.
My first 1100, at 35k miles, had already had the swing arm changed. Therec was a design fault with the unit in as much as there was a water/dirt trap on the top which hastened the damage. My second one had a redesigned swing arm and they were not troubled by the problem. The 1300 had no such problem.
Now, my RT...........................
Just love it !!!!
Before Christmas rode over 3hrs across from Derby to near Cromer to wish my mother xmas greetings, stayed for 3 hours then rode back again.
Loved every minute if it.
:)
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Hmmm....Major Domo, not really sure what you were expecting here. This is an owners' forum for the R1200 RT so you can safely assume that it is populated by people who ride the bike, love the bike, and have a large amount of knowledge and experience with the bike. The thing about the Internet is that there are always people reporting issues with things, quite often without fully explaining all of the background details. So you have to forgive us if we choose to take actual experience over second-hand reports generated from an Internet search. You really shouldn't take that personally; you really should have expected it.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Hmmm....Major Domo, not really sure what you were expecting here. This is an owners' forum for the R1200 RT so you can safely assume that it is populated by people who ride the bike, love the bike, and have a large amount of knowledge and experience with the bike. The thing about the Internet is that there are always people reporting issues with things, quite often without fully explaining all of the background details. So you have to forgive us if we choose to take actual experience over second-hand reports generated from an Internet search. You really shouldn't take that personally; you really should have expected it.

Very diplomatic  8)  Or he could just buy another Honda if they are so good. Try going on a Honda or FJR forum and tell everyone about the perceived faults and see what responses the OP will get.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks Casbar - I reckon I'll frame that one. Not very often I get called "diplomatic".  :be happy:
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Major Domo wrote: Well EXCUSE ME for pointing out what seems to be a problem on the RT, and other BMW models. All one  has to do is a search on BMW R1200 RT driveline failures, and many examples  come up, some at ridiculously low miles. Here's just two:

http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=620857

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?86887-Another-driveshaft-failure-R1200RT

For a bike as expensive as this, I find a premature failure of components in the driveline unacceptable. It seems to be across many model years, to boot. I think it's reasonable for one to do their research when looking to purchase a bike, new or used, as to potential major mechanical issues. I've read enough about this problem to potentially avoid this bike. AND, as mentioned in my previous post, a good friend had his drive shaft fail at around 38K, so I do have first-hand knowledge of this problem. If some of you RT owner's want to stick your head in the sand regarding what seems to be  a not-too-uncommon problem, be my guest. If BMW get sthis sorted out,then perhaps I'll consider purchasing one in the future. [/size]

As for the ST 1100, I've never heard of such an issue, except on very high-mileage units (100K plus),and then it's usually the rear wheel or drive shaft splines, that have worn out, usually due to lack of maintanence/proper lubrication.

You're excused. Have a great holiday.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I,m going to take sides here.  I,m right in the middle of the 2 sides.

before I bought my RT i spoke to 2 coppers at a petrol station about the drive failures and both laughed and said yeh it doesn't matter we get them fixed for free.

I also phoned my local Barnstormer and they workshop advisor defended it way too much to the extent that he was aggressive.

I have also seen the internet comments and just had to take note.  So i took the plunge and bought a 2008 model in excellent nick and after 22K crown wheel bearing went!

It,s still a great bike and i love it but it has taught me one thing....make sure you have a warranty.  That said when crown wheel bearing did fail it cost £250 all in for replacement, so not the end of the world but could have been a bummer if we were abroad touring.

Major is right it is faulty or is that Major is right it is fawlty....  Shush don't mention the war

Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

Major Domo is no dumo, he is right these bikes do have more recalls and issues than they should have considering their price when new, this does include final drive failure. My guess is the Blood Bike Author pointing out  the failures of the LC RT's in his group were real and not fantasy. I do read reports on bikes on the net but make bike buying decisions on one to ones with as bona fida expert as I can, for buying the RT TC this happened to be a top notch BM trained long term independent in the Huddesfield area who said "Best sorted RT is the TC go for as late as you can, earlier models had issues including final drive failure, switch gear problems. I would not buy an LC as too early to comment on longevity" I know personally 2 LC GS owners 1 LC RT owner that have had to have replacement bikes, one for out of line frame effecting steering trail and the others had to have replacement engines.  All not mere trifles (Pardon the Christmas pun)

Jacksnipe
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

A long term BMW independent is a good source of expertise for older bikes, but realistically, the RT LC came out in 2014, so older bikes will only just be out of manufacturers warranty. How many LC will an independent have seen, most would go to the dealer if they have issues. Apart from the recall for suspension, corrosion issues and I guess the flap in the exhaust which gets stuck, all of which BMW sort with no question. What other major issues are there, the blood bike clutch/gearbox is a relatively small group, if you consider how many are in service with Police, Paramedics and private owners, there doesn't seem to be a lot of noise about issues, unless everyone keeps quiet or doesn't use the internet. Like I've said before, Harleys are really expensive bikes and their quality is much worse than BMW. Nothing is built to last forever or nobody would buy new bikes.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

A few facts.
The drive lines on all RTs from 2005 to 2013 are virtually identical so any problems with them should be the same. 
The LC is a different bike and shares no component with earlier models.  Except for corrosion and some very isolated incidents with what sounded like a clutch issue they have  been trouble free after the very early shock recall.
You have to ask how many manufacturers would replace a complete engine due to some corrosion which could have been repaired.
I do wonder though why people buy them if they think they are badly built and full of faults. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Because they are not full of faults and are a brilliant bike with a really good dealer support.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Ditto on the comments re being a good bike with extensive dealer backup. I'm often amused by some of the local Bloodbiker views on the LC RT who are very quick to condemn this bike (even though they seem happy enough riding them on BB duty!). When seeing that I own one, there is an instant criticism and litany of clutches failing, headlamps failing etc, etc, and that 'I'll be sorry I bought such a bike'!! What they forget to mention is the fact that their bikes are ridden by umpteen different riders with different riding styles/habits, all the bikes have very high mileages for their age (unsurprisingly), so is it any wonder bits are starting to give up/fail. An FJR is planned to make an appearance sometime in the New Year, so that will be interesting to compare the bikes on reliability etc.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Post by Our Gee »

Hodge wrote: It had only done 22k and serviced up to 16k.  The previous owner had done it after that.  It would appear to be reasonably common but as I said it is still a great bike.  You do have to question though if it is made of swiss cheese if after 22k it fails.

I used to service Phantoms and Buccaneers and it was not very often you would need to change a bearing despite the incredible strains that they went through. Whenever we did check with NDT 9/10 times it would get refitted.
Be interesting to know which Phantom and Buccaneer bearings you are talking about Hodge. For those out there who are puzzled by the names which Hodgie is refering to, they are McDonnel Douglas Phantom and Blackburn Buccaneer, ie aircraft and not some far eastern motorcycle.