R1200 RT Drive line failures

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
Major Domo

R1200 RT Drive line failures

Post by Major Domo »

I've read on numerous BMW sites, (including this one) of driveline/drive shaft/and/or rear drive flange failures, on various year R1200RT models. I also have a friend who purchased a low-mileage (30K approx.) '09 RT, who subsequently suffered rear drive shaft failure while on a long trip out west. The bike had to be towed 300 miles to the closet dealer. I was considering this model as a replacement for my bulletproof '93 Honda ST1100, which was getting too heavy to for this 65 year old rider to wrestle in and around the garage (weighs in at over 700 lbs). The fact that the the riding position was a comfort issue as well (even with bar risers), did not help. I was very happy with the ST until the last year (out of 21) of ownership. The lighter weight, and more more upright riding position attracted me to the RT, but after reading so many stories regarding driveline failures, I'd have to cross this model off my list. The failures seem to occur at low or high miles, and said failures can be catastrophic, with potential for severe injury to the rider. And it seems BMW is reluctant to recall affected models, which to me is baffling. Has any RT owner contacted NTSB to report thier experience with these failures? If the problem is this common, one would think the NTSB would issue a mandatory recall. Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to trash the bike as a whole. It seems to be just about a perfect sport touring rig (love those HUGE saddlebags!): Plenty of power. relatively light weight, nimble, economical, and more. It's just that with BMW's long experience with shaft drive bikes, failures of this kind are, IMHO, inexcusable.

With Honda not giving any hint of a replacement for the discontinued ST1300, I may be looking at a Yamaha FJR1300.

Anyway, keep the rubber side down!

guest2360

Re: R1200 RT Drive line failures

Post by guest2360 »

There must be hundreds of thousands of shaft driven BMW out there.  The only one I recall on here failing had been telling its owner for a long time that there was a problem  before it eventually gave up. 
Shaft problems on a 1200RT of any age are non problems. As for them attempting to kill their owners, not on this planet. 
I do however recall story's of ST1100 rear swing arms rotting through, not sure if anybody survived one to report it.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly odd post? Why join an owners' forum and post up about the reasons why you are not buying that particular bike.

Is there a question in there that I have somehow missed?
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest4031

Post by guest4031 »

That's it. I am selling mine before it kills me.
Thanks for the heads up.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

No ones told him about 'pan weave' then....? Where they dance like a one legged frog at speeds over 100mph!
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sullivj wrote: No ones told him about 'pan weave' then....? Where they dance like a one legged frog at speeds over 100mph!

Thought that was only Police spec bikes, or do they all do that?
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Paggers wrote: Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly odd post? Why join an owners' forum and post up about the reasons why you are not buying that particular bike.

Is there a question in there that I have somehow missed?

Winter fishing.
Sullivj
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 21 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

Casbar wrote:
Thought that was only Police spec bikes, or do they all do that?

I was trying to find out a conclusive answer to that before I purchased my RT.  I know a Police officer was killed because of it, and I read of other owners that had also suffered it.

It's one of the factors that steered me towards the RT instead.

[size=16px]"RiDE Magazine reported in October 2007 that a team replicated weave instability modewith a civilian Honda ST1300 — reproducing the instability at a speed of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) under certain loading conditions. The rider noticed a rear wheel maximum yaw of 11 degrees per second, described as "a consistent and alarming sideways movement." The editors named the behavior "Pan weave". The intent of the testing was not to determine the cause of the weave, but to confirm its existence. Also, the article reported that 43% of surveyed ST1300 owners had experienced the weave."[/size][size=1.2em]
Last edited by Sullivj on Wed Dec 28, 2016 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Very odd.  Major doom seems to have gone away.  That's what you get for mentioning Honda. 
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Sullivj wrote:
I was trying to find out a conclusive answer to that before I purchased my RT.  I know a Police officer was killed because of it, and I read of other owners that had also suffered it.

It's one of the factors that steered me towards the RT instead.

"RiDE Magazine reported in October 2007 that a team replicated weave instability mode[/color]with a civilian Honda ST1300 — reproducing the instability at a speed of 110 miles per hour (180 km/h) under certain loading conditions. The rider noticed a rear wheel maximum yaw of 11 degrees per second, described as "a consistent and alarming sideways movement." The editors named the behavior "Pan weave". The intent of the testing was not to determine the cause of the weave, but to confirm its existence. Also, the article reported that 43% of surveyed ST1300 owners had experienced the weave."[/font][/size][/color]

The German magazine "Motorrad", which obviously has easy access to autobahns, also replicated the weave.

However I am sure that many owners never experience the issue during their ownership.

John Bentall
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

If he is looking for a lighter bike then the FJR is not it. I've had both types of Pan and they were fine, I would not run a bike that old as my primary riding/ touring bike, only for gentle historic meetings etc. BTW never had a weave, the 1100 was not that fast and the 1300 was faster but still not in the RT league. I replaced mine with a K1200GT, now that was fast and stable.
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

I think Major got a hard time for a welcome.

My 2008 RT suffered f/drive failure and any dealer will quietly agree.  I still love my 2011 RT for its foibles but I don't believe it has,nt got weakness,s

Sorry Major it,s ok Fawlty.....ged it

guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Fortunately you lived to tell the tale.  If I recall was it not a bearing failure .  You presumably haven't had the bike from new so there is no way of telling after 8 years of use if it had been fully serviced prior to you getting it. 
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I own a Pan ST1300 never had a weave yet but then I don't ride it over the ton. Also own RT LC and the final drive is absolutely fine. Have also owned a FJR1300. The FJR rear suspension linkage MUST be greased at least every two years. It dries out and there have been numerous reports of linkage failure causing suspension to collapse. The FJR Owners Club regularly have articles on the problem. Its a bugger to do and is often overlooked.

All bikes have there issues. The trick is to be aware of them and deal with it. The biggest issue is usually the rider :)
Hodge

Post by Hodge »

It had only done 22k and serviced up to 16k.  The previous owner had done it after that.  It would appear to be reasonably common but as I said it is still a great bike.  You do have to question though if it is made of swiss cheese if after 22k it fails.

I used to service Phantoms and Buccaneers and it was not very often you would need to change a bearing despite the incredible strains that they went through. Whenever we did check with NDT 9/10 times it would get refitted.