Re: Should I be worried about this?

Post by Maz12 »

Oops
Attachments
image.jpeg
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

As it seems to be just the front cover, not the block, I would try for a goodwill exchange through your dealer.  Those bolts is one area I always soak in wax in case of corrosion on the machined alloy. 
Real OEM shows a paint code for the cover if all else fails.
Last edited by guest2360 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I can assure you it's not a new problem. I had the same issue within a year on my brand new 2010 R1200 GS. My dealer tried to get BMW to cover it under warranty but they gave the 'wear and tear' response - which was really annoying.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

My own fault,  I noticed it months ago just never got round to reporting it.
Just out of the extended warranty they gave due to thr recall,  I took out the BMW warranty but paintwork ain't covered
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

That's standard BMW finish quality ie shite just had my engine replaced as a goodwill gesture for three blisters in the engine finish paint only three weeks out of manufactures warranty, I'd go back and point out the coating has not broken so the corrosion is coming from a manufacturing defect as admitted by BMW on my bike and many others I have looked at. 
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Maz12,
Don't resign yourself to self-blame for not acting sooner, especially when the dealer has undertaken the ACF50 treatment (and all servicing thus far?). Yes, it's a disappointingly familiar corrosion but it isn't acceptable. Any reasonable Dealer should help out here, especially as you have gone on to take out the BMW Insured Warranty which, as RTman10 suggests, a goodwill gesture could and should be initiated. Needless to say, the Dealer who applied the ACF50 is the same one from whom you bought the bike from originally?

Good luck and let us know how you get on.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

Yes,  same dealer I bought the bike from (and two before it),  all serviced there, autocoms fitted there etc, and all had winter checks/acf50 treatment there
They've always been fair with me so fingers crossed,  just setting off there now to show them
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

ACF50 does wash off eventually. I find after two hand washes its gone. When I owned my Multistrada there was a guy on the forum complaining about the condition of his new bike. The bike had been professionally ACF50. Problem was he lived by the sea, kept the bike outside and power washed it. Probably after the first power wash all the ACF50 treatment had been washed away. Not surprising the bike was rotting away. So the moral of the story is if you get ACF50 applied professionally, re-apply any exposed areas after washing.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

So these people that come round your house once a year and apply it should probably come back every month. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

RTman10 wrote: So these people that come round your house once a year and apply it should probably come back every month.
According to Allyearbiker yes, well probably not every month  ;)
For the average mileage rider one treatment a year should be enough, on areas of your bike directly exposed to the elements and your washing and cleaning regime the coating will last a good two to three months, (and often longer) before it needs topping up. Topping up on these areas is a quick and easy DIY job. In the unexposed areas that are tucked out of the way the coating should last for at least 12 months. High mileage riders and those who expose their bikes more to the elements might want to consider two treatments a year. We do have a growing number of customers who bring their bikes in more than once a year, they just like the way we clean them and it saves them the hassle.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

And doubles their income. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Sprayed my engine yesterday took all of 20 mins. Don't put ACF on the plastic, just the metal bits. Had one can now for a couple of years and still has some left in it.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Out of curiosity, how thickly do people put the ACF50 on? I'm never sure whether I should leave it on as a fairly thick covering or wipe it down to a thin layer.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
mhr43

Post by mhr43 »

Looking back over earlier posts about corrosion on engines and driveshafts, it appears that is largely 2014 models that have been affected.  Is that because the corrosion generally manifests itself at about the two year stage.  If that is the case then presumably those of us with 2015 models can expect problems circa 2017. Or is it the case that corrosion problems are limited to a very small number of bikes on an ad-hoc basis?