Should I be worried about this?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Levisp

Re: Should I be worried about this?

Post by Levisp »

Paggers wrote: Out of curiosity, how thickly do people put the ACF50 on? I'm never sure whether I should leave it on as a fairly thick covering or wipe it down to a thin layer.

Thin layer only. Thick just makes a mess and collects dirt. If you have ACF50 in spray can then IMHO don't use it to spray. The can spray does not atomise the fluid enough and the result is a mess. Some people like to use a rag soaked in ACF50 then store rag in a sealed jar. I use a brush and paint on a very thin layer only were I think it will do some good. Always makes me feel better. I'm a bit OCD about my bikes.

I also use ACF50 Block Grease. Good stuff on threads to prevent corrosion. Also suitable for use on brake pistons. Will not harm the rubber seals. Only a small amount is needed to keep rust at bay.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

My 2014 is fine, no corrosion, so don't think its a universal 2014 model year thing
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

+1 on that.  April 2014.  No corrision nd no ACF50 either.
Steve F
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT 2022
Great Britain

Post by Steve F »

Levisp wrote:
Thin layer only. Thick just makes a mess and collects dirt. If you have ACF50 in spray can then IMHO don't use it to spray. The can spray does not atomise the fluid enough and the result is a mess. Some people like to use a rag soaked in ACF50 then store rag in a sealed jar. I use a brush and paint on a very thin layer only were I think it will do some good. Always makes me feel better. I'm a bit OCD about my bikes.

I also use ACF50 Block Grease. Good stuff on threads to prevent corrosion. Also suitable for use on brake pistons. Will not harm the rubber seals. Only a small amount is needed to keep rust at bay.

Yes, +1 on the brush application of ACF 50. My local dealer also stated that their workshop mechanics apply a thin layer by brushing on.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks for the brush tip, folks. Not sure why that had never occurred to me before. Makes it so much easier to get into the fins on the front of the cylinders.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
DaveCly
Bike Model and Year: RT1200 Iconic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times
Great Britain

Post by DaveCly »

I use a knook and cranny brush!! Yes you heard it right! not
Sullivj
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by Sullivj »

I spray it using a parrafin gun, linked to the compressor.

Obviously keep it away from tyres and brakes, but I spray it pretty much everywhere else.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Tend to use scottoiler fs365 which has a corrosion inhibitor and forms an effective barrier against corrosion and oxidisation. But have also use triple qx which help clean and protect.
Last edited by GJ-MOTO on Mon Jan 02, 2017 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GJ-MOTO
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

A few more pic of other areas on the bike,  not as bad as other bike pics I've seen though
The right guy wasn't in when I went to the dealers last week so I've emailed some pics instead
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Last edited by Maz12 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

?
Attachments
image.jpg
Jacksnipe

Post by Jacksnipe »

Those pics of BM corrosion are typical and I have seen same on more BM's than BM's without it. In simple english it is shite and should have been sorted by BM way ago. For the record the BM is a machine and not an icon and to point its shortfalls out is no bad thing, its not like you are slagging off a religion ! It is an expensive inanimate object that should be better finished, period.  :alas:
Jacksnipe
futterweasel

Post by futterweasel »

+1
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Jacksnipe .  Got to wonder why you have an RT.  Your 2 Ks gave you lots of problems.  You have no confidence in your local dealer, you don't like the pannier kit, you think the finish on them all is rubbish and you can see no use for their latest (gimmicks) which are not suitable for road bikes.  What's the attraction.
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

It's like the 'other woman'. You know it's a really bad idea, you know it's gonna cost you, but you just can't stop yourself...
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest3954

Post by guest3954 »

Jacksnipe wrote: Those pics of BM corrosion are typical and I have seen same on more BM's than BM's without it. In simple english it is shite and should have been sorted by BM way ago. For the record the BM is a machine and not an icon and to point its shortfalls out is no bad thing, its not like you are slagging off a religion ! It is an expensive inanimate object that should be better finished, period.  :alas:
+2