General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 333 times
Great Britain

Re: Should I be worried about this?

Post by David. »

mcbrid wrote:Aluminium is notoriously prone to 'gassing' which has the effect of lifting any paint that is on top of the porous area of the casting.
On the inside of the final drive unit on my 2012 RT, there is a small amount of "bubbling" of the paint. The paint surface is not broken & the problem area does not seem to be getting any worse. I've now owned the bike for 2 years. If "gassing" has caused the problem during application of the paint, once it has occurred, will it continue to deteriorate or does it become passive.

I was initially of the opinion that the problem was just a rough casting, perhaps this is not the case.

"Powder coating aluminium castings can sometimes be a problem. Immediate problems appear when the powder coat bubbles because of gas evolution from the casting during the heating cycle. Long-term problems happen when white corrosion develops under the coating, and flaking and peeling starts. Even though powder coating is a sophisticated process, these two problems do occur. Fighting off their occurrence is possible by taking correct preliminary steps. Preventative action can mean the use of a better base metal, preheating to degas the casting, extensive chemical cleaning, proper acidic etching rinsing with deionized water, and adequate powder curing. A lack of attention to any one of these steps can mean a rough surface and/or a coating that eventually will flake."
Last edited by David. on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.