Motorcycle lifts

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
blokeonthemove

Motorcycle lifts

Post by blokeonthemove »

Anyone use or have recommendation regarding motorbike lifts, do you need to use a paddock stand as well to secure it?
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: Motorcycle lifts

Post by Casbar »

I've had one of these for 6 years, https://www.on-bike.com Used it to lift my Harley with no issues. Great for easily lifting the bike for cleaning.

You will need the front wheel grab to set it up ready to lift.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Not used one personally but believe the ABBA Sky lift is quite good.

http://www.abbastands.co.uk/product-detail.asp?pid=44

Levisp

Post by Levisp »

I use an Abba Skylift for my RT.
Attachments
IMG_0151.jpg
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Skylift looks good, same sort of thing as the big blu.. Only difference is i wanted a lift without hydraulics, the big blu works on a big threaded bottle screw, which you operating with a drill. No chance of slipping.
Badabing

Post by Badabing »

Find a lift fantastic and essential. Maintain mine and friends machines using my hydraulic lift.
Attachments
image.jpg
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

That's the sort of thing I've been looking at, although the sky lift looks like it may be even easier to use as the wheels are free to rotate, it comes to over 600 quid which is also a factor. The ones I've seen on ebay are ok for 800 pounds weight so should be enough and are under £300.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

For my Pan ST1300 I use a Big Blue stand.
Attachments
IMG_0372.jpg
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

So why have both ? I bought the Abba Sky lift before I had the Pan. At that time I had a Multistrada. The Sky lift worked on both bikes. Unfortunately the Abba stand does not work with the Pan. The two stands work well. The Abba is easy to use single handed. However the disadvantage is its hydraulic with two lift heights to mechanically lock the stand. The Big Blue stand works using a mechanical screw, so can lift bike at any height you like. No safety lock required. The disadvantage of the Big Blue over the Abba is its fiddly to setup and requires either a helper to keep the bike upright or buy their front wheel chock. Both are well made.
Levisp

Post by Levisp »

Mounting points for Abba Skylift
Attachments
IMG_0148.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
Last edited by Levisp on Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Looks a good mounting system, the big blue uses the foot rests and the front of the engine to balance. The Harley was easier to lift because of the frame below the engine, so it was a beam that just slid under the bike, so could lift whilst the bike was on its side stand
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Levisp wrote: I use an Abba Skylift for my RT.

OMG - I have never seen this before.  I have space issues and can't have a big lift.  I am buying this RIGHT NOW.

I love this product !

Thank you for posting. 
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

DBLXX wrote:
OMG - I have never seen this before.  I have space issues and can't have a big lift.  I am buying this RIGHT NOW.

I love this product !

Thank you for posting.
It doesn't happen often on here, but sometimes the replies are useful to some  ;) :enjoying:
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Benchmark wrote: It doesn't happen often on here, but sometimes the replies are useful to some  ;) :enjoying:

This one was huge for me....I just bought it.  $699 + $25 for the tool tray.  Free shipping.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

Have the big blue lift which I used on my Trophy SE before PX and purchasing RT LE.

Haven't checked to see if the current fitting can be used on the new bike.
GJ-MOTO