New member Navigator V

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
photontorpedo

New member Navigator V

Post by photontorpedo »

Seasons greetings folks from Dublin, Ireland. Yes another greenhorn here. Ive had a series of Rt's over the years and recently purchased a callisto grey 2015 R1200RT LC. I really love the bike and appreciate the additional power. The only irritant that I have noticed so far is the clunk when engaging first when warm. Not as slinky smooth as the previous machines. I suppose one can always hold it in first at the traffic lights and start in first if necessary. This machine has the Sat Nav cradle mounted in the dash and Im now in the market for a BMW Garmin Navigator V if anybody can help. They are pretty expensive new. Any suggestions?
guest2360

Re: New member Navigator V

Post by guest2360 »

Don't think you will find many pre owned ones around but dealers often give some discounts on then.  The previous Nav IV and the Garmin 660 also fit.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new bike.

I bit the bullet and got the Nav 5 for my last bike. In my opinion it was worth the extra cost as you get lots of features that integrate with the BMW software on the bike. Bear in mind it is also transferable - mine is now on my second BMW.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
DBLXX

Post by DBLXX »

Spendy but worth it.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

RTman10 wrote: Don't think you will find many pre owned ones around but dealers often give some discounts on then. The previous Nav IV and the Garmin 660 also fit.
I had a Garmin 660 in the mount - but gave up on it due to senility and sprung for the Nav V.
Typical scenario with the 660 - I dismounted to refuel and missed the "Power supply disconnected. Do you want to the GPS to stay on?" message as the CANBUS powered down. On returning to the bike, I then had to take the GPS out of the mount to turn it back on, and refit it. Until the first service when I had the catch freed under warranty, the 660 fell out twice because of this rigmarole.
I imagine the Navigator IV would simply turn itself back on just like the Nav V.

UK dealers are doing the Nav V for £500.
Last edited by beemerboy9 on Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Bentall
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

I have a 660 mounted in the built in cradle on my RT LC. It powers up with the ignition, there's no need to remove it to switch on.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

photontorpedo wrote: Seasons greetings folks from Dublin, Ireland. Yes another greenhorn here. Ive had a series of Rt's over the years and recently purchased a callisto grey 2015 R1200RT LC. I really love the bike and appreciate the additional power. The only irritant that I have noticed so far is the clunk when engaging first when warm. Not as slinky smooth as the previous machines. I suppose one can always hold it in first at the traffic lights and start in first if necessary. This machine has the Sat Nav cradle mounted in the dash and Im now in the market for a BMW Garmin Navigator V if anybody can help. They are pretty expensive new. Any suggestions?

Consider ZX1 reduces friction between metals and improves running of the engine. Can be added to your fuel which helps improved running. Use it on all my bikes, cars and mechanical devices I.e. Lawn mower etc. You should see a different IMO.

But have a look and ead on ZX1 web site, cheapest purchase price I've found is on eBay at £16+ for 250ml bottle.

Have the 660l but purchase the nav V from BMW, 1st impression are good. Will use it more on a trip down to Exmoor in Feb 2017. Dealership sold me the nav V for £517, which still seem a bit expensive. Time will tell if it love or hate relationship 😀

GJ-MOTO
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Read somewhere that BMW say no additives should be used but can't remember if it was to fuel or oil.  All LCs clunk into first to some extent.  If they don't something's broken. I will now be told "mine doesn't since I added a spoon of rice pudding "
Last edited by guest2360 on Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

MacJ wrote: I have a 660 mounted in the built in cradle on my RT LC. It powers up with the ignition, there's no need to remove it to switch on.

My 660 was fine, it powered up as soon as I switched the ignition on. I changed to a Nav V, got a deal from BMW. The catch that holds the Nav V still sticks occasionally, but I stick some silicon spray on it, which helps to keep it free. Its worse in the cold. If it sticks, you just free it with your finger and it generally operates ok
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

My catch can stick now and then.  I've got into the habit of always giving it a quick flick when I take the Nav off, just in case it's not gone fully back.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

GJ-MOTO wrote:Consider ZX1 reduces friction between metals and improves running of the engine. Can be added to your fuel which helps improved running.
ZX1, http://www.team-zx1.com/extralube-zx1-m ... tment.html, say "used a fuel treatment and will enhance upper cylinder lubrication".

If the gearbox is the problem, then presumably, ZX1 would be added directly to the engine oil on an LC.
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

RTman10 wrote: Read somewhere that BMW say no additives should be used but can't remember if it was to fuel or oil.  All LCs clunk into first to some extent.  If they don't something's broken. I will now be told "mine doesn't since I added a spoon of rice pudding "

Just to clarify ZX1 shouldnt be confused with additives on the market.
GJ-MOTO
GJ-MOTO

Post by GJ-MOTO »

David. wrote: ZX1, http://www.team-zx1.com/extralube-zx1-micro-oil-metal-treatment.html, say "used a fuel treatment and will enhance upper cylinder lubrication".

If the gearbox is the problem, then presumably, ZX1 would be added directly to the engine oil on an LC.

David correct just add the volume needed to your engine that is recommended by ZX chart, if it's due a service wait as you want to get around 500 mile in before changing the oil. But do add to your fuel using the little measuring cup, I tend to do it every 1000 miles.
GJ-MOTO
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Just to clarify ZX1 shouldnt be confused with additives on the market.

If its not an addictive what is it. 
step2534

Post by step2534 »

I might be wrong , but with modern oils do you really need  additives?? I was always led to believe that a engine isn't run in properly till its done 15000 to 20000, all mechanical components have to go through this process,  certainly the new bikes Ive had always perform and are more economical after 20000 miles.
Wont a oil additive retard the running in process?  therefore outweighing any benefits.

Probably wrong