2010 RT stock muffler question

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
mbro
Been liked: 1 time

2010 RT stock muffler question

Post by mbro »

The last time I took my muffler off to dismount the rear wheel, I noticed when I tip the muffler one way, then the other rocking it back and forth that inside the muffler, it feels like something slides inside it back & forth.  It also seems slightly lighter than I remember.  I'm wondering if the packing material in the muffler is supposed to move like that, and if there's a point when I'll be needing to replace the muffler.  I've seen a few RTs with a Remus exhaust, not sure what other options there are, and curious about the cost of those, and if any fuelling adjustments need to be made to maintain a good air/fuel ratio.  Powercommander? 

Is the packing material in the muffler supposed to be replaced at some point?  Is it a serviceable item?  I don't recall seeing any rivets or fastners to open it up, so I'm guessing its not. 

guest2360

Re: 2010 RT stock muffler question

Post by guest2360 »

I have never heard of this and there are no serviceable bits to it.  Replacement with a new one is expensive.  There are plenty of aftermarket ones around though .If the bike is running alright and doesn't sound like a Ducati I would just carry on.
Our Gee
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT 2011
Been liked: 24 times
Great Britain

Re: 2010 RT stock muffler question

Post by Our Gee »

Have a look inside the pipe upstream of the" Muffler" and check to see if the Exhaust Flap is all present and correct. As it's not really possible to check the insides of the Cat and like RTman10 says problems with the Muffler are unheard of and, as you have accounted for all the valve gear components this is indeed a mystery.