BMW Streetguard

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
Paggers

BMW Streetguard

Post by Paggers »

My Rukka gear - bought in August 2008 - is starting to show definite signs of wear and tear so I'm thinking about getting a new two-piece textile suit.

Although I have been generally happy with the Rukka gear - it has never let a drop of water in over 8 years - I have three issues that I want to overcome with my new gear:
  1. Over time the DWR on the outer layer wears off and it absorbs water, which is a real pain when you use it to commute to work.
  2. In the summer the Rukka is definitely on the warm side.
  3. The protectors - at least in my version - are pretty poor quality.
To address item (1) I want to go with something made from Goretex Pro, so there is no outer layer to which I need to keep applying water repellent. For item (2) something with vents would be a great improvement. And for item (3) something with CE approved protectors.

From what I can see the BMW Streetguard seems to tick all of the boxes. But having done the obligatory research there seem to be plenty of threads about people who had issues with theirs - split stitching, leaks, etc. The other option I am considering is the Held Cadora/Manero outfit.

So, on to the questions I want to pose.
  • First, a practical one. Can you zip the streetguard jacket and trousers together to form a single suit? That's a definite must-have for me.
  • Second, are there any obvious downsides / likely issues that I should be aware of?
  • And third, has anyone tried the Held option and is in a position to compare this to the streeguard?
Thanks in advance.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Re: BMW Streetguard

Post by Casbar »

I went through the same thought process. In the end I went for the Rukka Navigator suit. Price wise not much difference to the BMW kit and it has the 6 year warranty, BMW only has 2. My Rukks kit has the latest armour and apparently the hi viz bits have been improved so they don't fade. Not had the suit in the summer yet, but so far this winter its been a top bit of kit, warm and dry. I use it for Blood Biking so have been out in some really bad weather and its certainly impressed up to now. Had some Held waterproof over trousers before, which always ended up with me having wet knackers  8)  BMW I believe have improved the Street guard for this year.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Thanks Casbar. Rukka are not listing the Navigator on their website, which makes me wonder if it is now an obsolete product. Plus, at the moment it seems to be comparable price with their other Goretex Pro offerings - which means around £1,600 for the suit. That's just a bit too pricey for me, even allowing for the extra warranty. The Streetguard retails at around £1,200 for the suit - which is still expensive - but I'm hoping I can get a decent discount from my dealer.

Thanks for the feedback on the Held gear. The one thing my gear must absolutely not do is leak. I travel to work wearing a shirt and smart trousers underneath my bike gear, and a lot of the time I am travelling to client sites. Turning up with wet patches would be a nightmare!
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Don't like saying this but there was an issue with Streetguard jackets last year.  Not all that waterproof round the  arms.  I'm sure all were sorted under warranty. 
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Thanks Casbar. Rukka are not listing the Navigator on their website, which makes me wonder if it is now an obsolete product. Plus, at the moment it seems to be comparable price with their other Goretex Pro offerings - which means around £1,600 for the suit. That's just a bit too pricey for me, even allowing for the extra warranty. The Streetguard retails at around £1,200 for the suit - which is still expensive - but I'm hoping I can get a decent discount from my dealer.

Thanks for the feedback on the Held gear. The one thing my gear must absolutely not do is leak. I travel to work wearing a shirt and smart trousers underneath my bike gear, and a lot of the time I am travelling to client sites. Turning up with wet patches would be a nightmare!

Think you'll find the Navigator suit is a UK only offering, so not on the main Rukka site. If you look at Infinity Motorcycles or the UK distributor you will see it. Not sure if its changing for 2017, but the Navigator was a replacement for the Cosmic, so if they are changing it, there maybe some good deals.
Sprintgull

Post by Sprintgull »

My 7 years old Hein Gericke suit (100% waterproof - always) is getting a bit tired so I tried on a Rukka suit at the NEC - I must be an odd shape because it was not that comfortable.  After a good root about, Halvarssons seemed a good alternative.  Trying to track them down right now.
Maz12

Post by Maz12 »

I have the streetguard and thinks it's superb,  but don't forget about the Tourshell gear,  it gets lots of praise
Cleverbee

Post by Cleverbee »

Just got Streetguard out for for Xmas from the missus, will let you know how I get on (with the suit that is  :alas: ).
Welcome my Son, welcome to the Machine !
jjwill
Bike Model and Year: RT 2018 LC
Been liked: 1 time
Wales

Post by jjwill »

Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

jjwill wrote: Hi Sprintgull Try Motolegends http://www.motolegends.com/jackets?Brand=Halvarssons
Do some googling Halvarssons get some bad reviews, looked at their kit as well before I went up the Rukka route. Depends what you want from a suite, if you want to wear it all year around and every day, then go higher end, stuff costs more for a reason, unless its BMW gear that is  8)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I own a BMW Tourguard jacket.  It's a longer version of the Streetguard 1 with large
outside  pocket , all waterproof of course.  After 17 years of use the Velcro flap on the collar is getting a bit tired. 
That's the problem with BM clothing, it won't  wear out .
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: I own a BMW Tourguard jacket.  It's a longer version of the Streetguard 1 with large
outside  pocket , all waterproof of course.  After 17 years of use the Velcro flap on the collar is getting a bit tired. 
That's the problem with BM clothing, it won't  wear out .

So the street guard jackets from last year that leak will look great for years to come - Hmmm! Hope it doesn't rain. And if they do leak at least you have a 2 year warranty.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It was a problem with a batch in early 16 I understand.  I also,own a pair of Streetguard 1 trousers from 2000 that get used for all long tours.  Never leaked a drop .
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: It was a problem with a batch in early 16 I understand.  I also,own a pair of Streetguard 1 trousers from 2000 that get used for all long tours.  Never leaked a drop .

Think it might have been a 16 model year, but there were plenty of complaints about the Jackets in 2015, when I enquired it was Jan 16 and they were talking about the issue then. But I'm not saying they are not good bits of kit, would have bought a suit but with my Blood Bike discount I got Rukks for not a lot more money and the 6 year guarantee and replacement kit if you did have an issue seemed a good endorsement.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Your probably right.  I know it went on for a bit but is now sorted.  I'm not a huge fan of the new trousers though.  With their removable thermal lining it's difficult to get the size which fits properly with it in and out.