BMW Streetguard

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
paulh

Re: BMW Streetguard

Post by paulh »

For me, you just can't beat Rukka and the latest D30 armour they use is excellent.

I owned a Streetguard previously but found it less comfortable (more rigid fabric) than the Rukka.  Both were equally waterproof though in my experience.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

I had the Street Guard 2 for ~ 10 years and now the Street Guard 3, both have been excellent in terms of quality I don't think you can go wrong as an everyday winter/spring/summer suit.  As mentioned there was a bad batch early last year - but that can happen anyone.  I believe the next version of Street Guard is out now too.  I also have a TourShell suit which is better for spring/summer I would say.  There are lots of differences but the main ones I noted were the TourShell comes with a shorter jacket and only a removable jacket liner not jacket/trouser liners as per the Street Guard.  Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Is it not the other way round Peter. Streetguard comes in short and long jackets and Tourshell just in the one length.
Peter Baker
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 6 times
Great Britain

Post by Peter Baker »

RTman10 wrote: Is it not the other way round Peter. Streetguard comes in short and long jackets and Tourshell just in the one length.
Maybe now it is, all I was saying is my Street Guard is longer than my TourShell :-) Peter
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

The Equipment Brochure showed the long Streetguard as new in 2014.  Not sure if the original one was longer or shorter than the Tourshell.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

This is probably going to sound like a really odd selection criteria, but I'm finding myself leaning towards the Streetguard because it looks less like a 'biker' jacket and more like the kind of 'outdoor' style jacket that I normally wear when I'm off the bike. I haven't tried one on yet so my opinion may change when I see it in the flesh. But by contrast the Rukka offerings are much more like a textile version of biking leathers, meaning that I have never felt particularly comfortable wearing the jacket when I am off the bike (I'm not the type to try and sell myself fashion-wise as a 'biker').

Alongside that is the price. The Rukka is definitely a better product but at 50% more expensive it should be. I'm just not convinced that I need that 'extra'.

A final factor is that - so far - no-one from this forum who owns a Streetguard outfit has had anything but positive feedback about it. Yes there are lots of second-hand stories of problems out there, but that's the case with most things, including our beloved RT (final drive failures, anyone?). If they really were crap I would have expected a few first-hand horror stories from forum members.

I'm not in any great rush so the next step will be to stop by my local dealer and try one on to see what I think.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

When you do make sure they know you are aware they come in a vast number of sizes. They basically come in tall and thin, short and fat and everything in between.  Dealers normally stock the in between sizes but can very quickly get from BMW any size you like for you to try.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

I don't think anyone is saying the Street Guard is crap. All manufacturers have had issues. Its what works for you. But on a BMW forum, most will buy BMW so you won't get many negative views if there are any. I did try the Street Guard kit on, it just wasn't for me. Like I said for me, the 6 year guarantee and immediate replacement kit if yours is faulty with the Rukka seemed a good endorsement from the manufacture. I do have a Air shell jacket from BMW which is also a very good piece of kit.
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

I understand, and I won't knock Rukka having worn it for the past 8 years. But as has been said, we each look for different things.

I may come to regret my decision - and I may even change my mind before any money is spent - but in the end all decisions are taken at a point in time and without the benefit of 20:20 hindsight.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
RT-man

Post by RT-man »

Klim Badlands.
Recently replaced my 18 year old Daineese goretex set with a Klim Badlands, as my butt started to get wet in heavy rain. You can see I don't change my gear very often, so I spent a fear amount of time on research prior to making up my mind. I have used it for one season only, and have to say I'm very happy with the set. Had a 7500 km trip through the Alps and Pyrenees in September / October, and it kept me completely dry even in some really heavy rain in the mountains. The main reason I went for the Klim Badlands was the fact that there is no insulation to keep you warm! You HAVE TO bring warm clothes to put undernaeth when the temperature starts dropping below 8-10 degrees Celcius. But it mens you can keep it on even if it starts getting reasonable hot. If it's getting very hot there are numerous watertight zipps to open up. These are both in front and on the back, so you get quite some air flowing through. THAT IS important to me; Not to compromise on the safety when it starts getting hot.

The neagative side: Quite expensive. But it doesn' really bother me to much, as I hope to keep it for 10-15 years.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Isn't the Klim Badlands suit an adventure suit? Made to do the Paris Dakar and not so much touring on an RT. But is supposed to be a good suit.
beemerboy9
Bike Model and Year: 1250RT 2019
Been liked: 16 times
Great Britain

Post by beemerboy9 »

Paggers wrote: This is probably going to sound like a really odd selection criteria, but I'm finding myself leaning towards the Streetguard because it looks less like a 'biker' jacket and more like the kind of 'outdoor' style jacket that I normally wear when I'm off the bike. I haven't tried one on yet so my opinion may change when I see it in the flesh. But by contrast the Rukka offerings are much more like a textile version of biking leathers, meaning that I have never felt particularly comfortable wearing the jacket when I am off the bike (I'm not the type to try and sell myself fashion-wise as a 'biker').

Alongside that is the price. The Rukka is definitely a better product but at 50% more expensive it should be. I'm just not convinced that I need that 'extra'.

A final factor is that - so far - no-one from this forum who owns a Streetguard outfit has had anything but positive feedback about it. Yes there are lots of second-hand stories of problems out there, but that's the case with most things, including our beloved RT (final drive failures, anyone?). If they really were crap I would have expected a few first-hand horror stories from forum members.

I'm not in any great rush so the next step will be to stop by my local dealer and try one on to see what I think.

Rukka gear is not immune from problems and is now assembled in China.  I sometimes think that the extra £300 that a Rukka costs goes towards maintaining that valuable 6-year guarantee. There is a lot of competition in the area of high-end touring suits, but not all the brands make it to the UK.

I have a vast amount of BMW gear, much of it season-specific and none of which I have ever paid RRP for, and I appreciate the way the various jackets and jeans can be combined flexibly. I have a 15-year old, mightily-abused Streetguard jacket which has only recently started to fail  - and I have its replacement standing by.
John Bentall
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

RT-man wrote: Klim Badlands.
Recently replaced my 18 year old Daineese goretex set with a Klim Badlands, as my butt started to get wet in heavy rain. You can see I don't change my gear very often, so I spent a fear amount of time on research prior to making up my mind. I have used it for one season only, and have to say I'm very happy with the set. Had a 7500 km trip through the Alps and Pyrenees in September / October, and it kept me completely dry even in some really heavy rain in the mountains. The main reason I went for the Klim Badlands was the fact that there is no insulation to keep you warm! You HAVE TO bring warm clothes to put undernaeth when the temperature starts dropping below 8-10 degrees Celcius. But it mens you can keep it on even if it starts getting reasonable hot. If it's getting very hot there are numerous watertight zipps to open up. These are both in front and on the back, so you get quite some air flowing through. THAT IS important to me; Not to compromise on the safety when it starts getting hot.
The neagative side: Quite expensive. But it doesn' really bother me to much, as I hope to keep it for 10-15 years.
+1 on the Klim Badlands

I had a Streetguard 2 which lasted about 6 years.  The Velcro was shot, it started to leak, and the zips were breaking. (This after virtually a daily ride to / from work.)  I wanted something that was dry, good in the warmth - which the Streetguard was not.  Yes it is designed more for the adventure riding, but it looks like a normal riding jacket, and with the zips to open it up, you are nice and cool. 

Is it warm?  No it isn't however if you have a fleece underneath (I am using a Jack Wolfskin fleece 150) you can go down to very low figures.  Last week, I did a 2½ hour journey with this (and the Streetguard trousers) in temperatures between 0 to -1°C.  At the end I was frozen, but I doubt if anything could have kept the cold completely out.  It was an emergency ride and I was dressed more for the commute (½ hour journey) than an extended winter ride.

I am happy with it, especially with the fluo colouring.  the only thing I am not 100% happy is that there is not a storm collar.  So far with being able to tighten the collar, it has not leaked - if I tighten it in time!

I looked at the new Streetguard, however it far too much Velcro for my taste. With the opening and closing four + times a day minimum 5 times a week, it would soon wear out.
Best regards, Sleuth
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

I think you will find that Velcro has moved on from the Streetguard 2.  The hook part used to me very grippy and damaged most things it touched.  It also as you discovered wears out the soft part. 
On my 2015 Airshell the hook part is now what feels like a near smooth plastic surface that still grips the soft part that up until today still feels and works like new. Not looks at the latest Streetguard but it's sure to have the same.
Casbar
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

beemerboy9 wrote:
Rukka gear is not immune from problems and is now assembled in China.  I sometimes think that the extra £300 that a Rukka costs goes towards maintaining that valuable 6-year guarantee. There is a lot of competition in the area of high-end touring suits, but not all the brands make it to the UK.

I have a vast amount of BMW gear, much of it season-specific and none of which I have ever paid RRP for, and I appreciate the way the various jackets and jeans can be combined flexibly. I have a 15-year old, mightily-abused Streetguard jacket which has only recently started to fail  - and I have its replacement standing by.

I agree, have heard of issues with the waterproof zip. But they were all sorted under warranty. Price wise there are various Rukka suits so some in the same price range as the Streetguard, its only the top suits that cost big money. But I have bought mine now, so fingers crossed. Had a Harley FXRG textile before that was quite good, but the pockets were not waterproof. I bet most kit is assembled in non EU countries now, doesn't make it rubbish though.