Hex EzCan Install

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
amsrk144

Hex EzCan Install

Post by amsrk144 »

Anyone using the new Hex Ezcan?  I'm considering it instead of a PDM60 for my 2016 rt.  It supposed to simply "plug into the can-bus" at the rdc module but I'm unsure where that is.  Is the RDC the alarm module under the back seat?  On the vendor videos, they appear to be plugging it in under the front seat.  Thanks for any help!
GJ-MOTO

Re: Hex EzCan Install

Post by GJ-MOTO »

The rdc unit does sit behind the rear seat.

Current link shows the different units used by BMW.

https://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prodimages/lg/ELE13340

Be good to get your views on this piece of kit if purchased
GJ-MOTO
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

amsrk144 wrote:It supposed to simply "plug into the can-bus" at the rdc module but I'm unsure where that is.
Is this any help, the photo shows a Clearwater CANopener installed in what looks like the rear of an LC RT.

David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

These photos show that the passenger seat & rear rack need to be removed to gain access to the TPS.

gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

GJ-MOTO wrote: The rdc unit does sit behind the rear seat.
Current link shows the different units used by BMW.
https://www.motorworks.co.uk/bmw/prodimages/lg/ELE13340
Be good to get your views on this piece of kit if purchased

Is there a model for the RT LC yet ?
My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

Thanks for the responses.  I just spoke with Matt, the "gear head"  at Twisted Throttle.  Very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.  Turns out that the EZ-Can can be plugged in anywhere in-line to the Can-bus, it does not have to go into the RDC.  I can now avoid removing the rear rack and simply plug it into a more convenient location under the front seat.  It will read the bus signals from anywhere.  I went ahead and bought it and will post how it goes.
amsrk144

Post by amsrk144 »

It appears the EZ-can is now available for the full 1200 series, so yes it is available for the RT-LC, which is the bike I have.
David.
Subscriber
Great Britain

Post by David. »

gogs01 wrote:Is there a model for the RT LC yet?
http://www.twistedthrottle.com/hex-ezca ... 00rt-14-16
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

amsrk144 wrote: I can now avoid removing the rear rack and simply plug it into a more convenient location under the front seat.
Just for the record once you know where it is and have identified the connector there is no need to remove anything other than the rear seat to remove this connector and connect into it, I didn't  :)
tda2806

Post by tda2806 »

I have just fitted Hex ezCan to my 2014 RT. It's driving 2 auxiliary lights and a supply for a camera. It was a straight forward fit, connecting to the battery and the CanBus were straight forward.

If anyone has questions, ask them now whilst the fitting is fresh in my mind.
Attachments
IMG_20170812_134719346.jpg
One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. Groucho Marx
timminator
Been liked: 2 times

Post by timminator »

amsrk144 wrote: Thanks for the responses.  I just spoke with Matt, the "gear head"  at Twisted Throttle.  Very knowledgeable and extremely helpful.  Turns out that the EZ-Can can be plugged in anywhere in-line to the Can-bus, it does not have to go into the RDC.  I can now avoid removing the rear rack and simply plug it into a more convenient location under the front seat.  It will read the bus signals from anywhere.  I went ahead and bought it and will post how it goes.
I have the Clearwater CANOpener3, and plugged into my TPMS.  It's not necessary to remove the rear rack, just the pillion seat.  I was able to easily reach inside the opening and unplug/plug the connectors.  I suppose if you have very large hands, it might be necessary, but not for the average person.
BMW MOA #210438
NoGoodID
Bike Model and Year: 2023 1250RT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by NoGoodID »

I’m planning to install a Hex EzCan on my 2023 1250RT (which has RDC and DWA), and was wondering whether I have to remove the top case and rear rack (and/or the silver plastic cover that sits on top of the rear rack) in order to access the connectors that the EzCan plugs into? Also, I saw a video on YouTube, where the person said that in the last year or two, BMW made a change and that while the RDC control unit is no longer located behind the passenger seat, the connectors that the Ez Can plugs into are still located there. Does anyone know whether that is in fact correct?

If anyone happens to have pictures of the location of the connectors, that would be greatly appreciated. I keep this bike in a different state from where I live, and so I’ll be doing this install in a remote location (just prior to departing on a road trip), and am trying to avoid any surprises when I get into the job. Thanks.
EasyRider
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: 2019 R1250RT LE
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 127 times
Wales

Post by EasyRider »

I have just fitted one to my 2019 R1250RT.
I connected it to the RDC without having to remove the top box or anything.
If its the same as mine, remove the pillion seat. The RDC is on the bikes right side (or your left as you look at it)
There is a push clip release each side of the plug and it then just pulls off.
I would post a photo, but i have all the cables for my bike cameras in there as well so you cant see much.
Dont Ride Faster, Than Your Angle Can Fly. :thumb:
NoGoodID
Bike Model and Year: 2023 1250RT
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 3 times
United States of America

Post by NoGoodID »

EasyRider wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:11 am I have just fitted one to my 2019 R1250RT.
I connected it to the RDC without having to remove the top box or anything.
If its the same as mine, remove the pillion seat. The RDC is on the bikes right side (or your left as you look at it)
There is a push clip release each side of the plug and it then just pulls off.
I would post a photo, but i have all the cables for my bike cameras in there as well so you cant see much.
Thanks EasyRider. I appreciate the feedback.

If anyone has installed one a slightly later model (2022 or later), can you please chime in. Thanks.