Main display change to speedo?

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
stayingupright

Re: Main display change to speedo?

Post by stayingupright »

And if it's not, then it should be!
I was born with nothing and unfortunately I still have most of it left.
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Steve who?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

RTman10 wrote: Steve who?
Following the accepted progression...
  • Young people listen to radio 1
  • Middle aged people listen to radio 2
  • Old people listen to radio 4
If you don't know who Steve Wright is then you are either too young to know or too old to care. Being an RT owner I suspect you are more likely in the latter category.  ;)
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Paggers wrote: Following the accepted progression...
  • Young people listen to radio 1
  • Middle aged people listen to radio 2
  • Old people listen to radio 4
If you don't know who Steve Wright is then you are either too young to know or too old to care. Being an RT owner I suspect you are more likely in the latter category.  ;)

I listen to Planet Rock  :whistle:
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

Casbar wrote: I listen to Planet Rock  :whistle:
That means you are in the third category, just in denial.
2016 (2017 MY) R1200 RT LE in white and black. Find me on twitter: @2WheelSolo. Also posting motorcycle vlogs on youtube: https://goo.gl/iM7y6X
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Whats Radio 1.
blokeonthemove

Post by blokeonthemove »

+1 for Planet Rock, sadly can't get it on the bike although I did have a gadget on my old 1600 which played it through the FM, never all that successful though.
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

Have seen some enterprising bikers that have managed to fit a dab radio to their bikes Probably doable if you can get an adp2 output so it can be matched to bluetooth. Maybe on the 2018 RT  8)
Pricey2003
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by Pricey2003 »

How do you change the speedo from mph to kph?
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Pricey2003 wrote: How do you change the speedo from mph to kph?
You can't  :(
Pricey2003
Bike Model and Year: R1250RT
Great Britain

Post by Pricey2003 »

Thanks.
That's saved me hours of searching. I'll use the Garmin.
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

Pricey2003 wrote: I'll use the Garmin.
That's what I do when in foreign territory  ;)
Masq85

Post by Masq85 »

Benchmark wrote: You can't  :(

I wonder how difficult it would be for BMW to add this as a firmware update?  My Picasso, has a digital speedo that can easily be changed from MPH to KPH, which is great when driving abroad.  I've never looked at the analogue speedo on the bike so, like others, i've used the Nav 5 abroad - not the end of the world and it "usually" even tells you when you're breaking the speed limit!!
Sleuth

Post by Sleuth »

Paggers wrote: Vehicle speedometers will always over-read slightly. That's because if they under-read then the manufacturer would be liable for people breaking the law. So they play it on the safe side (who can blame them). My RT under-reads by around 2 mph, compared with my 5-series which is by 3 mph. What I find interesting is that it is consistent across the speed range. Which means that BMW are most likely reading the speed correctly then adding the small modifier to keep themselves comfortably within the law.
I was once told by a Police Officer that the speedometers always show more, that way you have an extra level of protection against speeding. (Plus you can be a bit naughty without risking points on your licence!)

These days I drive on the GPS, which makes for interesting reading on the warning signs.  Especially when I am obeying the speed limit!
Best regards, Sleuth
Paggers

Post by Paggers »

The reason the speedo will always over-read slightly is that if it were to under-read you would be able to sue the car manufacturer for damages resulting from a speeding conviction. So to avoid potential litigation all vehicle manufacturers make their speedos over-read by a small margin. As I regularly use a GPS I always know how much a given vehicle over-reads by - my RT is damn close with 1-2 mph difference (by comparison my e61 5 series has a 3 mph differential). The closest I ever had was a Versys 650 where the rear sprocket had been changed to a slightly larger one (it's a common mod, I can't at this point remember why) with the result that the digital speedo read exactly the same as the GPS.