2010 RT - Swichgear

Having Problems with your BMW R1200RT/R1250RT? or have some Maintenance and Service questions?
MEM62

2010 RT - Swichgear

Post by MEM62 »

I have a 2010 1200RT which have had new in Jan 2013.  Recently, my heated grips stopped working and my dealer has suggested that I take the bike back to they can check to see if the switchgear is faulty.  But I am wondering if it is.  All other functions on the right hand (and left hand) switch gear are OK.  Also, when turning the heated grips on I get the icon for them appearing on my instrument panel - so the switch is doing something.  Is there anything else I can check before throwing the problem at a dealer?  Perhaps a fuse somewhere?     
blokeonthemove

Re: 2010 RT - Swichgear

Post by blokeonthemove »

The electrical load is probably controlled by the Canbus so not a physical fuse. It may be worth having a look along the wiring to see if there is a joint or plug and give that a dose of switch spray. If the handle bar switch cluster has failed it performs several functions any one of which may have failed individually.
David.
Subscriber
Bike Model and Year: R1200RT (Camhead) 2012
Been liked: 332 times
Great Britain

Post by David. »

Found this thread on R1200GS.info, http://www.r1200gs.info/forum/14-mainte ... oblem.html,
although it's for a 2008 model, it may be some help.

Checking the voltage at the heated grip connector may indicate whether or not the switch is sending power to the grips.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Thanks for you replies guys.  I have seen a note in the owners manual that states that the grips will not work if the battery is low - obviously to conserve the battery.  I have it on charge at the moment and will fire the bike up later and try the grips again. I'm not aware of the battery being in a poor state but, as it's an easy check, it's worth eliminating this possibility.
MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

Battery charged and grips still not working so the bike went to the dealer today.  Switchgear checks out OK so they suspect an electrical short somewhere.  Been in the shop for a few hours and the problems not traced yet.  Should get dome further news tomorrow. 

MEM62

Post by MEM62 »

The diagnosis is in.  The connector on one of the grips had failed.  Grip replaced and all working OK.  Not a cheap fix at £255 but at least it's sorted.