Shift Assist

General discussion of the BMW R1200RT/R1250RT
guest2360

Re: Shift Assist

Post by guest2360 »

For many of us here, Pro Shift is very much teaching old dogs new tricks. Got to hope it's not like having auto on/off lights.  When you want to do it yourself you have forgotten how.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Casbar
Been liked: 45 times
Great Britain

Post by Casbar »

RTman10 wrote: For many of us here, Pro Shift is very much teaching old dogs new tricks. Got to hope it's not like having auto on/off lights.  When you want to do it yourself you have forgotten how.

Thats why you need to ride different bikes :) Got to admit have once or twice stalled my wifes sports car when coming to a stop because I'm used to driving an auto and hers is a manual :)
gogs01

Post by gogs01 »

Casbar wrote: Thats why you need to ride different bikes :) Got to admit have once or twice stalled my wifes sports car when coming to a stop because I'm used to driving an auto and hers is a manual :) 

I've done that too! 🙄 
In recent years, I've driven manual and automatic (in both left and right hand drive) on the left and right of the road.  If you change regularly it's easy to adapt (and I'm an old dog still learning new tricks .....)
So far I've only done a few hundred miles on bikes with shift assist but since I quickly learned that starting off, changing 1-2-3-2-1 and stopping are all best done using the clutch and all the rest is best using SA, I don't foresee difficulty in remembering what the clutch is for when jumping on a bike built in the 20th century.
But I could be wrong .....  😳

My 4th R1200RT = 2016 (2017 MY) R1200RT LE
jswisc

Post by jswisc »

I don't have sa on my 14' my but I do have an 800 Ducati I race quite a bit, and it's GP shift. Funny how you can change your routine! :-)
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

I didn't think I'd care for the clutchless shifting, but if you're in really heavy traffic it's nice to be able to shift while still keeping a thumb on the horn button.  I use it for all gears, but not all the time.  If it's raining or snowing I use the clutch.  Beware, if you downshift and keep the throttle slightly open it's terrifying, so don't do that.... :whistle:
2014 R1200RT
guest3074

Post by guest3074 »

PatriotBMW wrote:Beware, if you downshift and keep the throttle slightly open it's terrifying, so don't do that.... :whistle:
Works best with no throttle when down shifting  :)
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

It's not supposed to work at all going down if the throttle isn't closed.  I've read the manual.
MacJ

Post by MacJ »

Correct!
There's no way mine works with any throttle on.
Could be exciting to try?
PatriotBMW

Post by PatriotBMW »

RTman10 wrote: It's not supposed to work at all going down if the throttle isn't closed.  I've read the manual.

Yeah that reads great in the manual, but if you step on that little shifter with a size 11 boot it downshifts regardless.
2014 R1200RT
guest2360

Post by guest2360 »

Let us all know how much a new box costs when the time comes.